Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

ITR valves and retainers on a b16a2 head with ITR cams

Old 04-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR valves and retainers on a b16a2 head with ITR cams

i am currently building up an engine from a b18c4 (gsr) block, b16a2 head and a wrecked b18c6 (ITR) head.

i was originally going to just use the cams, valve springs, intake manifold and throttle body.

while stripping the ITR head down i noticed that the intake valves are quite different to the standard b16a2 ones, and being type r ones they must be better. i have 6 ITR intake valves, and 5 exhaust valves, and 15 type r retainers

would it be worth getting an ITR retainer new from honda and using them over the standard b16a2 ones?

would it be worth getting 2 intake valves to make up a set of eight?

would it be worth getting 3 exhaust valves to make up the set?

when i stripped the ITR head i just put all of the springs into one bag, then once i saw the b16a2 with dual spings on one side and single on the other, i started to think that the ITR exhaust and intake springs may very well be different. if they are, how can i tell them apart?

what will my compression ratio be with a stock b18c bottom end (167bhp version) and a b16a2 head?

what sort of power should this make with all itr parts except pistons, crank and the porting/polishing that the ITR head has (i have the header and flywheel aswell)

thanks for reading, Ben Hodgson
Old 04-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR valves and retainers on a b16a2 head with ITR cams (EG6-B18C6)

i think the retainers are the same, and as for the valves i think it would be worth it
Old 04-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: ITR valves and retainers on a b16a2 head with ITR cams (asilaydying1984)

retainers are the same, valves in the ITR are lighter (by how much, I don't know)

Unless your going to be revving the hell out of of, your fine with just the ITR spring/ITR cam combo with a sub 8,500 RPM red-line. Tuning after the install is a fantastic idea.

The "R" valvesprings are stiffer and more capable of handling the "R" cams.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, are the ITR intake springs and exhaust spings the same? they look the same but the b16 ones are deffinately different, so i am thinking that there is a good chance that the ITR ones are different even though they look the same.

thanks again.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EG6-B18C6)

the intake and exhaust valvesprings are different. when they leave the factory, they have yellow and blue markings respectively.

with some milder cam setups, some people like using another set of intake springs for the exhaust and swap inner springs from portflow with r retainers.

here's a really cool compression calculator:

http://www.bojangs.com/calculator/

which pistons does your 'c4 block have in it. is it from a edm car like the head?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dc24me)

yeah, cheers for that. luckily the yellow paint was still visible, and i could see blue paint on some of the others.

my head is all sorted now, but i now have another problem.

on removing the old c4 head i noticed that one of the pistons wasn't coming up as high as the others, probably 3-4mm less, and had clean parts on it where is was obviously so loose that it was hitting the head. i have removed the oil pan and one of the big end shells has totally disintegrated and the rod is just rattling about loosely on the crank.

what is the likelyhood that the crank can be reground? i know that is a stupid question without showing anyone, it looks pitted but not cracked, i'm just really wondering if these can generally be reground?

i now have 4xITR pistons 4xGSR(b18c4) pistons 3xITR rods and 3xGSR rods.

well i may aswell put in the ITR pistons now, i dont suppose the ITR and GSR rods are the same are they?

what sort of price could i get a crank and a rod for if i need them? would it be worth getting an ITR crank?

a lot of questions i know, but i've never done a bottom end before and i'm not sure which direction to take it.

p.s the bores all look good, do i need to take the block to be checked to see if the bores are oval?

i just want a reliable motor, what other parts will i need to replace if i remove the crank?

thanks, btw all of my parts are UKDM
Old 04-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have a good set of b16a2 pistons