Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Are my valve seals bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my valve seals bad?

Rebuilt my JDM B18C (R) about 20,000 kms ago (after 117,000 kms) with all new seals rings and gaskets.
Brand new valvetrain as well with ARP hardware.

About 6,000 kms ago, I started consuming oil about 1qt Honda 10w30 every 1000+ kms.
The engine burned clean though, no smoke.

About 3000 kms ago, a pal told me he saw some smoke coming out my exhaust. It has gotten progressively worse, and now, it smokes a lot under deceleration, at stop lights and when I start up for the 1st time for the day

I have changed to 20w50 Castrol syntec blend and it burns about a qt every 700kms still.

The smell is awful and the smoke is embarrassing.

It seems like valve seals to me. But what would cause them to go bad in 20,000 kms?

BTW I drive this car about 80kms/day, with lots of trips into VTEC.
JDM 96 spec ITR
Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are my valve seals bad?

When you say brand new valve train, does that include new valves as well? Anyways, it does sound like bad valve stem seals.

Originally Posted by Clerique
Rebuilt my JDM B18C (R) about 20,000 kms ago (after 117,000 kms) with all new seals rings and gaskets.
Brand new valvetrain as well with ARP hardware.

About 6,000 kms ago, I started consuming oil about 1qt Honda 10w30 every 1000+ kms.
The engine burned clean though, no smoke.

About 3000 kms ago, a pal told me he saw some smoke coming out my exhaust. It has gotten progressively worse, and now, it smokes a lot under deceleration, at stop lights and when I start up for the 1st time for the day

I have changed to 20w50 Castrol syntec blend and it burns about a qt every 700kms still.

The smell is awful and the smoke is embarrassing.

It seems like valve seals to me. But what would cause them to go bad in 20,000 kms?

BTW I drive this car about 80kms/day, with lots of trips into VTEC.
JDM 96 spec ITR
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, new valve stem seals as well.
I bought Skunk2 flat faced valves as I didn't like the condition of my old ones.

Someone told me, maybe I pressed them too hard when installing them. :S I dunno!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A leakdown test will answer your question.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leakdown test will tell you nothing about an oil consumption problem.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering, does the smoking stop once your car is totally warmed up?

(I might have the same problem as you)
Old 11-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

erikiksaz1, the smoking doesn't stop.
If I drive hard and come to a complete stop, a cloud of smoke will follow me.

Also, I noticed my oil light taking a few seconds to turn off (after starting).
Does this have anything to do with the problem?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had/still have the same problem. i drive a 1998dc2 gsr and my car smokes under decelleration as well as ALOT of smoke, and burning oil. i had my valvestem seals changed by a reputable machinist and also had GE head studs put in. It STILL burns oil and blows out smoke and smells. Ive asked alot of people and they say its the piston rings.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Smoke under decel generally is caused by oil getting by the intake valve stems. Just because you had your stem seals replaced doesn't mean they are sealing. If your stem to guide clearance is excessive the seals will be useless. If you do have bad rings, it's the oil control rings that are the problem, not the compression rings. Oil control rings do just that - they control oil consumption. They do not seal anything. That is why a compression and leakdown test is useless for diagnosing an oil consumption problem.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM

On pretty much every honda I have had that was smoking and burning oil from decel/high vacuum the problem was the rings. I have installed valve seals for customers that requested it, but it never does anything.

I think the negative pressure pulls the oil up past the poorly sealing rings, many times they are stuck into the ring grooves from carbon and oil sludge buildup.

Also, rebuilt engines can suffer from damaged oil scraper rings because they are thin and easily damaged when installing the piston into the cylinder. Cheap or improperly used ring compressors can cause big problems.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mike@synapse motorsport
On pretty much every honda I have had that was smoking and burning oil from decel/high vacuum the problem was the rings. I have installed valve seals for customers that requested it, but it never does anything.

I think the negative pressure pulls the oil up past the poorly sealing rings, many times they are stuck into the ring grooves from carbon and oil sludge buildup.

Also, rebuilt engines can suffer from damaged oil scraper rings because they are thin and easily damaged when installing the piston into the cylinder. Cheap or improperly used ring compressors can cause big problems.
I'd agree with that. However oil smoke on decel is usually due to oil being pulled into the intake due to low pressure in the intake manifold when the throttle is shut. However, as is usual on this board, there is probably something else going on with the vehicle that the OP is neglecting to mention that we can't see because we are physically not there.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only thing I probably didn't mention was that I had some Skunk2 Pro 2 cams installed for the last 40 days (took them out yesterday). That and the fact that when I pulled my spark plugs, they indicated that I was running extremely rich, although my wideband's richest reading was 12.7 at high rpm.