Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

My all motor b20b build part list

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon3 My all motor b20b build part list

These are the parts I have ready to go minus the pistons, Any suggestions or tips are welcome, will post pics as build progresses.

*This is for a reliable DD*

B20B (with P8R head)
GSR girdle
~280-290cc injectors from 97' prelude
GSR oil pump
GSR water pump
Port and polish, 3 angle valve job, millling 0.020inches off the block.
LS IM, CAI, and TB all stock
LS p75 ECU
Arias 84.5mm pistons (open to suggestions here)
S80 LSD transmission (4.7 final drive)

From the zealautowerks compression calculator with PHK pistons the compression is 10.04:1 and with the Arias it is 11.02:1
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My all motor b20b build part list

Make sure the machine shop line bore/hones your mains after installing the gsr girdle...
I wouldnt deck the block more than necessary, Id rather take it off the head or even better, use a thinner headgasket.
You might need some adjustable cam gears to get the camshaft timing correct...
Set aside some $ for engine management and tuning...
Are you building up the head too? Dont expect too much with stock LS/B20 cams...
RS machine pistons have a good reputation for n/a builds..I think the girdle is a little overkill unless your gonna be revving pretty high, but since your not going VTEC, you probably wont rev higher than 7000-7500 rpms depending on your cam and head setup...
My 2 cents...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the intake manifold is going to hold you back the most, and cams if stock.
and like mentioned set aside money for tuning that is the most important aspect.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock injectors should be plenty also...no need to upgrade just yet.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
Make sure the machine shop line bore/hones your mains after installing the gsr girdle...
I wouldnt deck the block more than necessary, Id rather take it off the head or even better, use a thinner headgasket.
You might need some adjustable cam gears to get the camshaft timing correct...
Set aside some $ for engine management and tuning...
Are you building up the head too? Dont expect too much with stock LS/B20 cams...
RS machine pistons have a good reputation for n/a builds..I think the girdle is a little overkill unless your gonna be revving pretty high, but since your not going VTEC, you probably wont rev higher than 7000-7500 rpms depending on your cam and head setup...
My 2 cents...
I will be using the OEM 2 layer gasket that comes with the p8r head...
Cam gears are certainly a good idea, I didn't think about them. (d'oh)
I don't know exactly what I am doing with the head, I might build it up, or just put a vtec head on later on (hence the girdle, and other vtec internals) If not then some crower 404's and your cam gears would be suffiecient I think.

I don't think I'll be milling either the head or the deck anymore, I'll just play it safe on that one.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by unusual71
the intake manifold is going to hold you back the most, and cams if stock.
and like mentioned set aside money for tuning that is the most important aspect.
I have some money set aside for a good tune, I'm estimating 500$ on that one.

What intake manifold's would you suggest? I've read here that p72 manifolds won't bolt on directly to P75 head's, but I don't even know what would bolt on to a P8R head?

What manifold options do I have to bolt on to a P8R head? I think for a DD the P75 IM with a CAI should be fine no?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
stock injectors should be plenty also...no need to upgrade just yet.
It's been suggested to me that upping the injectors would help, because B20's on stock P75 ECU's tend to run "lean" and that could potentially wash the cylinders and burn the rings. Very bad.

The H22A's injectors were recommended because they'd fit, and I would not need to upgrade the fuel pump to run them as they are only ~30-40cc's more than the stock B20 one's.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Question: With the Arias pistons, and a supposed 11.02:1 compression ratio, will I have enough compression to turn Crower 403's? or 404's?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by State.of.Prime
It's been suggested to me that upping the injectors would help, because B20's on stock P75 ECU's tend to run "lean" and that could potentially wash the cylinders and burn the rings. Very bad.

The H22A's injectors were recommended because they'd fit, and I would not need to upgrade the fuel pump to run them as they are only ~30-40cc's more than the stock B20 one's.
1. This is because that ECU is designed to work with a 1.8L not a 2.0L
2. I would get injectors from an acura RDX as you will need room to grow in the future and these will be perfect for any NA build
http://www.xenocron.com/rdx-410cc-in...f-4-p-529.html

Originally Posted by State.of.Prime
Question: With the Arias pistons, and a supposed 11.02:1 compression ratio, will I have enough compression to turn Crower 403's? or 404's?
I would do some research on others B20 builds, 404's need alot of compression and might hurt your #'s in the end.. Alot of people over-cam their engine thinking bigger is better.. youd be amazed on what a stage 1 or stage 2 cam will do with proper tuning and fuel.

Might want to clay the engine 1st on the P8R as the 33mm valves might be a little close.

your going to need a tune anyways, so a socket and chip should be in your budget.. but i would look into a TB and IM as well.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good point on the cams, I'll defiantly do some more research and/or set those thoughts aside for now.

One question though, with the 410cc injectors from the RDX would I need to upgrade other components immediately? I like the idea and relatively cheap price of them but I don't want to run into any problems by going to big to early. I'm a B20 virgin. hahahaha
Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran the 404s on a stock b20 and was very impressed with them. They pulled extremely hard al the way up the rpm band. this was on a b20b with a p75 intake manifold,4-1 header, and no tune. I know i had alot left to do to it but i got rid of the car not too long after that.

I know the 404s need more compression but i do think they are a good choice for any all motor non vtec setup. and the idle they have is awesome sounding.

im not saying tho that you couldnt make more power with a 403 or maybe even a 402. I dont really care for the 402s tho as they are not all that much bigger than stock cams. minimum i would run is atleast the 403s.