Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

new here need advice from sumone wit similar high compression build as me b18/b16

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here need advice from sumone wit similar high compression build as me b18/b16

Hey honda-tech, I'm new here and need sum advice from Sumone with a Similar setup. I've done countless numbers of research and still no straight answer. This is my first build and currently running a B18c1 block bored .25 over, decked a lil jus to clean it up, cp 12.5:1 pistons, je rods, girdle, block guards. B16a2 head skunk stage2 cams, valve springs, retainers, cam gears, manifolds, fuel rail, 310 injectors, fpr, etc... The pistons have a really high dome it kinda worries me. The motor is already in the car and i will start adjusting timing and checking clearances soon. Now my question is what kinda compression does this yield, and how good/bad is the clearances. We only have 93 octane here and i will run oem ecu to pass emmisions then prolly use my chipped p28 for the time being until i get my neptune/hondata. i'm using an oem head gasket now but also have a thicker cometic .060" gasket in case i need. Will this be safe until i get my new ecu and get tuned? Whats the best way to check piston to valve clearance?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new here need advice from sumone wit similar high compression build as me b18/b16

Silly Putty
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new here need advice from sumone wit similar high compression build as me b18/b16

12.5:1 with 93 octane is fine but you should crank the car up first, let it idle and warm up, shut it down, change oil, then i recommend towing it to your tuner and breaking it in on the dyno.

i would not drive it around until its tuned
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Hatchy
Silly Putty
As in "Yes, it is best to clay the motor first before firing it up, so you know if you're in any danger or not".
Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a question why do so many people go out and buy such high compression pistons then worry after if its ok to run on pump gas why not get a slightly lower compression to begin with and there wont be anything to worry about. just a thought i personally wouldnt run over 11:1 on pump gas but thats just me
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by negusjuda
i have a question why do so many people go out and buy such high compression pistons then worry after if its ok to run on pump gas why not get a slightly lower compression to begin with and there wont be anything to worry about. just a thought i personally wouldnt run over 11:1 on pump gas but thats just me
Because advancements in tuning have come along way.. people are getting more educated on how much timing cars like ours like and reading plugs.

Also for the sher fact, smaller motors will require more compression to make more power.

11:1 CR on a LS1 is a good bit. 11:1 on a honda motor is silly cake..

Its been tested and proven that pump gas limits are fairly high to around 13.0CR.. hell there's a few people that run 13.1 on 91 in cali. Its a simple process people need to follow. Properly thinking out your build and your goals and then proceeding with the best options of parts.. not throwing random **** in there and hoping for the best.

the ideal compression on honda's has seemed to be around 11.5-12.5 CR.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
11:1 CR on a LS1 is a good bit. 11:1 on a honda motor is silly cake..

Its been tested and proven that pump gas limits are fairly high to around 13.0CR.. hell there's a few people that run 13.1 on 91 in cali. Its a simple process people need to follow. Properly thinking out your build and your goals and then proceeding with the best options of parts.. not throwing random **** in there and hoping for the best.

the ideal compression on honda's has seemed to be around 11.5-12.5 CR.

true to a point but i would not go around recommending 13:1 and higher to people because lets face it most people wont properly tune the motor.

Plus, static and dynamic compression are 2 very different things. 13:1 on ITR cams, no way. 13:1 on PRO3s.....different story.

Id say 11.5-12.5 is where most people want to stay for their daily driver. Theres no telling what would happen on a 105 degree day in phoenix if you get a bad batch of gas from the Am/pm. the margin for error is much smaller on a 13+ compression motor than the 11.5.

things to keep in mind
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusFenix
true to a point but i would not go around recommending 13:1 and higher to people because lets face it most people wont properly tune the motor.

Plus, static and dynamic compression are 2 very different things. 13:1 on ITR cams, no way. 13:1 on PRO3s.....different story.

Id say 11.5-12.5 is where most people want to stay for their daily driver. Theres no telling what would happen on a 105 degree day in phoenix if you get a bad batch of gas from the Am/pm. the margin for error is much smaller on a 13+ compression motor than the 11.5.

things to keep in mind
i dont recommend that.. i was just explainning why higher compression is what it is..
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the advice. I'm not real worried about running this high compression. I know it will work fine once tuned. I just wanted to know if it was gonna be safe for me to run stock ecu for a bit until I pass inspection. Then bring the car to the tune shop if it was ok to drive 3-4 hours away to a good tune shop because there is not really any close by to me. But I will prolly end up gettin it towed to the shop. We'll see how it runs this weekend. i'll try and post pics of my car and motor after.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but my question was why get that high of compression and then worry if its to high if its proven and ok to run that high on daily driven pump gas cars then there shouldnt be any threads about if its to much is it ok or etc etc now im not saying it cant be done again i personally will never do it but to each his own 11:1 is plenty for me and its also been proven that you can make pretty dam good number on 11:1 pump gas
Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also have to take into consideration what area people live in here where i am in the mountains of pa its 90+ degrees in summer and 10 degrees in winter all it takes is to have had ya car tuned in the cooler months and ya get hit with these retarted warmer months and you will be pinging like no tomorrow lol. but again its just my opinion for me i would stay around the 11:1 range and give my self some breathing room
Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by kkamarit
Thanks for the advice. I'm not real worried about running this high compression. I know it will work fine once tuned. I just wanted to know if it was gonna be safe for me to run stock ecu for a bit until I pass inspection. Then bring the car to the tune shop if it was ok to drive 3-4 hours away to a good tune shop because there is not really any close by to me. But I will prolly end up gettin it towed to the shop. We'll see how it runs this weekend. i'll try and post pics of my car and motor after.
Well, see, a lot of those that do that don't have the emissions ***** knocking on doors like you do. That's why they're able to be done in the first place. They don't worry about running a stock ECU or injectors for some ref. Though the SMOG practice is growing, its different in different parts of the country.