Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Intake manifold test results on a 1.8L Edelbrock ITR IBspec Take a look! -Revised

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold test results on a 1.8L Edelbrock ITR IBspec Take a look! -Revised

"This is an old test from a few years back(early to mid 07), i lost the files a while back and took the time to dig them back out and rehost them. I've since updated a little bit on the thread as well"

In the past couple weeks we have had the opportunity to test different intake manifolds on our 1.8L daily driven project.Our tested items were
a stock itr manifold, IBspec ITR manifold, Edelbrock VictorX, and the Edelbrock performerX. The setup on our car is very simple but has proven
to be very effective. It sees roughly about 450 miles a week and runs on nothing but 93octane.

B18c1 block with CTR pistons on gsr rods
All honda bearings,seals,pumps,and belts
pr3 head with portflow standard headwork
Full omnipower valvetrain set
Blox Type 3 cams with skunk2 cam gears
Spark racing long tube header
RSR gt2 exhaust
Buddy club headgasket
Reused over and over thermal intake gasket
professional products 68mm throttle body
Tuned on Crome pro

For each test we just wanted to see what will perform best and give us the best overall powerband for our benefit. We used the same aem 3 inch cold air
for everytest and tuned air fuels and timing accordingly. The only things modified on each manifold was the throttle body opening. We just portmatched
to 68mm to accept our throttle body. All runs are on 93octane and through the exhaust.

Here is our first initial runs with the untouched ITR intake manifold.

We went for our first trip to the track with this 202whp setup. We went 12.6@107.

Then we moved on to the IBspec ITR manifold. For those not familiar with it, it is and oem ITR manifold cut open and cnc ported on the inside.

For those curious on how the two stack up together, here is a layover of the two.

Next up was the VictorX. We already knew it was going to suck ***** on our setup. We just had to know for sure to eliminate any what ifs. It worked out so horrible that i didnt even finish out a full out tune, it wasnt even worth it. So take this chart for what you will, it just doesnt work well with our motor.

Here is a layout of the VictorX vs. the IBmanifold. It speaks for itself.

Next was the perfomerX, which ran away from everything else. Its priced right and fits like ****, but it made some power!

Here is a layout of it against the IBmanifold to give you an idea of the gains.

We went back to the track with 213whp and went home with a 12.2@112.8

As you can see we increased horsepower and torque, but the real gains are in the powerband. At 9k we have 15 more whp. We could rev the car out a little further, but we need to keep this car reliable. Its his only ride to work. We will be returning to the track this thursday in the hunt for 11s. If you noticed on our parts list that there is nothing fancy or expensive, thats not by coincidence. This was originally intended to be a simple budget build for my buddy to do hpde events with. We took it to the dragstrip out of curiousity and now are on the hunt for 11s......on an oem pieced bottom end......on pump gas.....in a true daily driven street car. WISH US LUCK!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htb_wGFNa4Y

The car went as quick as 12.0 and as fast as 114mph. We never got a good dial in after making over 230whp on e85, it should've been good for 11.80's@114+. We soon after built a 2.0L setup that made a good amount of power....and then the car got stolen. Thanks ********.

Just for grief purposes, heres what our new setup(2.0) put out vs. the 1.8L setup.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intake manifold test results on a 1.8L Edelbrock ITR IBspec Take a look! -Revised

Dang that 2.0 kills the 1.8! What was the 2.0 setup?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Intake manifold test results on a 1.8L Edelbrock ITR IBspec Take a look! -Revised

Awesome testing. The performer X is an awesome IM for 1.8 motors
Old 12-04-2010, 04:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Doesn't All M0T0R use the victor x??
Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparkles
Dang that 2.0 kills the 1.8! What was the 2.0 setup?
It was this same head but on an 85X89 12.5:1 with an ITR intake manifold.

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
No idea? He'll find his way to this thread...im sure of it.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just peeped in his build thread his head is pictured with it...

Maybe it was just too much air for your setup
Old 12-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
I believe he does, but he also had a bigger motor with bigger cams.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for reposting this

I was actually looking for it the other day.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys rock! thanks for taking the time to post all the results you guys have been posting lately,jim.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to chime in on some personally experince - to add in what mikey was already posting..

First, mikey again, great post and add to the AM awesome test and it shows.

When i first put my b20vtec in the integra, i did have a pX manifold, went to the track with it and ran 106-104mph..again keep in mind this was all on the 2.0 liter setup and i still had the s2s2's. The car would fall flat on its face , fast after 8500rpms. I saw " mouab18c1 " was using a victorX on a almost bone stock GSR..and pmed him.. knowing this test was out this guy traded with me.. Just buy trading manifolds on my setup , i went back to the track and made more passes. 109-110mph is what the car was running.. from there i changed cams from s2s2's to s2p2's and i haven't been back since, but of course you all know why.

I do currently run a modded victorX manifold. Port matched to a 70 MM TB, and ported out runners that are port matched to my head. I wouldn't recommend and I don't recommend the victorX on anything smaller then a 2.0 liter or a turbo car.

The perfX i'm pretty sure is the best off the shelf manifold out for anything under a 2.0 liter period..and IB has been doing this along time, jeff does great work..

NA(nautral Asperations) brought up a good point tho, shorting the pX runners by a 1'' and half and then rewelding and porting it out almost makes it like a victorX. Food for Thought.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
NA(nautral Asperations) brought up a good point tho, shorting the pX runners by a 1'' and half and then rewelding and porting it out almost makes it like a victorX. Food for Thought.

I've spoken to Mike(King Motorsports) about the modded Px on the 2.0L setups and he's reported to me that it really did knock out the victorX on a back to back test. I have one here that i will mollest soon....once i find time. Its december 4th and theres 4 inches of snow on the ground, and im booked with dyno appointments. WTF?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MikeySpec
I've spoken to Mike(King Motorsports) about the modded Px on the 2.0L setups and he's reported to me that it really did knock out the victorX on a back to back test. I have one here that i will mollest soon....once i find time. Its december 4th and theres 4 inches of snow on the ground, and im booked with dyno appointments. WTF?
Hehe.. glad you guys are busy..us on the other hand.. dry..a few builds to do ..but hardly any tunings.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what were the other mods to the car?
tranny?
race weight?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From this I gather the Performer X is the best off the shelf manifold and better than a ported ITR manifold for a 1.8L. But on a 2L does it still come out on top? ALL M0T0R I think did the test before the ported ITR made the most then the Kinsler ITB's killed it all lol. Of course this is a built 2L.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MikeySpec
Anymore info on this? Hmmm on a drag racing motor wouldnt the slightly less horsepower with a longer band be faster? If you make 5 more horse at 600 rpm higher and 600rpm later you are making equivalent. This is what seems to be the difference between the edelbrock victor x and type r manifolds. It seems that the average hp and torque from 6000-9500 rpm seems more consistent and average while the type r has an advantage of 3-5hp throughout the band and 1-4lbs of torque but it hods its peak hp and torque for a short period of time and drops off hard? am i seeing this all wrong?

Also thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it and when my motor is being put together i will post dyno plots of my personal experiences. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Did you guys run the Per-X with 4 or 8 injectors?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^those are for nos setups not fuel injectors.

i saw the ITR ported kill all other IMs on a different post somewhere. but once again it was on a bigger engine.
ya think an itr ported would beat out the Px on like a b16?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm maybe I'll still do this test on my motor.

If I could see anywhere near a 16whp gain over my skunk2 manifold it definitely be worth the money lol
Old 12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Red_Army
^^those are for nos setups not fuel injectors.

i saw the ITR ported kill all other IMs on a different post somewhere. but once again it was on a bigger engine.
ya think an itr ported would beat out the Px on like a b16?
I've seen a ported p30 manifold perform very well on a 1st gen b16a, never compared numbers though
Old 12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SR20S13
what were the other mods to the car?
tranny?
race weight?
Open header, 2160 w/ driver, 4.7 JDM ITR trans.

23X8X13 slicks...other than that nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
From this I gather the Performer X is the best off the shelf manifold and better than a ported ITR manifold for a 1.8L. But on a 2L does it still come out on top? ALL M0T0R I think did the test before the ported ITR made the most then the Kinsler ITB's killed it all lol. Of course this is a built 2L.
Again, the performer x has been shown to be better suited for the 1.8L. Once you go to 2L and larger, the ITR intake manifold is better. On a B16, it's pretty hard to beat the stock p30 manifold but I've never seen a performer x tested on a b16a before.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
Search my user name and it'll pop up.

Originally Posted by tempsohc
Anymore info on this? Hmmm on a drag racing motor wouldnt the slightly less horsepower with a longer band be faster? If you make 5 more horse at 600 rpm higher and 600rpm later you are making equivalent. This is what seems to be the difference between the edelbrock victor x and type r manifolds. It seems that the average hp and torque from 6000-9500 rpm seems more consistent and average while the type r has an advantage of 3-5hp throughout the band and 1-4lbs of torque but it hods its peak hp and torque for a short period of time and drops off hard? am i seeing this all wrong?

Also thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it and when my motor is being put together i will post dyno plots of my personal experiences. Thanks again.
Its all trial and error, sometimes what translates to what should be faster on the dyno doesnt always work out on the track. Gearing and shiftpoints play a HUGE role in this.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then sometime i'll have to pick up a Px and test it against a p30.

i know p30s especially after some porting do very well on their own.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
well then sometime i'll have to pick up a Px and test it against a p30.

i know p30s especially after some porting do very well on their own.
its a waste.. a itr manifold is almost identical to a p30 manifold.. waste of money you already have the results.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great test and info ! ... it confuses me though - its weird how an ITR manifold (designed for a 1.8L) gets beat by the pX IM on a 1.8L , but the ITR IM beats the pX on a 2.0L. I wonder how a skunk2 pro series or AEBS would do since they are similiar yet different.

It's also confusing the fact that the victorX is still a hit or miss with a 2.0L . Guess every setup is slightly different !

Quick Reply: Intake manifold test results on a 1.8L Edelbrock ITR IBspec Take a look! -Revised