Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Assistance needed: Identify Type-R Head

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance needed: Identify Type-R Head

Hello. I wonder nowadays in my country Malaysia could ever easily found a pure genuine origin JDM B18CR or B16B full engine from halfcut. Well, I'm sure there is, but not as easy. Most of us in Malaysia having the upgrade or make the conversion which is part by part. Let's say I got the wedges in this month that affordable to buy a B18CR block and is a deal. Then the rest of the type R head and type R Cam and so on... Some they prefer once buy it just Plug and play... since Most B16/18 series Dohc Vtec are compatible( Mix and Match). So what could we do to prevent being cheat or lie by those dishonest seller. They could offer you a bit lower price.... let's say they offering you a B16a head + B18C R. Since not everyone out there could identify genuine type r head. Unless you uncover it, or some experience type R racer or pro mechanic. But still not a 100% that can tell is a truth Type R head. What about a B16a upgrade to double valve spring + type R Cam. I understand B16a is same to Type R, The Factory had Mild Port and Polish job
as you can refer this link ( Pls Skip until 6:18, unless)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqJdnE-LfA

Well this valve seat job can be done on b16a cylinder head. Just pay extra $$$ to some one who have the experience valve job handle. Maybe what you pay get even better than a Honda Factory Type R default, who knows it? or maybe even worth. So let's just say we don't prefer PNP job at the moment. All we need just determine it is a Type R. Is that simple.(>13 years old engine)

B16a/b,B18cR
==========

1) PR3-3, PR3-2,PR3-4,(PR3-1(rarely seen on this one))

2)Green Paint on the distributor(might be fade or wipe off cause by ages)

3)Year made 9/6, 9/8, 0/0 (not to determine Type R but determine year made spec)

4) Please pay attention to this, Above 1-3 some of us might already know. I'm not sure is that picture shown No 4 with 3 square stamp with a chinese word 正 in the box (some Japanese word are same to Chinese)that can determine as a Type R head. But Most I saw with this wording 正 is on Type R.( Please correct me if I'm wrong) So this is what the forum is all about.

5) I noticed that 1st gen and (Eg6,EG9)2nd gen b16a, don't have the 3 boxes and word marking. But 3rd gen B16a do have the marking according one of my friend told me who is driving Civic SiR-III Ek4(Singapore). But my friend told me that the word 正 is not complete. So I believe it is some marking that identify the grade or else????
Attached Images      

Last edited by 9tailsfox; 12-27-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:56 PM
Trial User

Default re: Assistance needed: Identify Type-R Head

I got this Japanese words.. does it means R head?

Old 05-11-2020, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zii Hm

I got this Japanese words.. does it means R head?
Hi, At that time i was wondering the same thing and I was wrong. I think that stamping 正 just some marking only. Your cylinder head I can see the right round stamping 9/4 not necessarily that could be 1994 B16A cylinder head Because I remember the stamping from the 1st stamping from the Left (the the last Right) is the Year made. The Type R started only from year 1996 the 9/6 (1996) or 9/8 (1998)and some are late model year 2000 0/0(2000).This is most accurate to identify Type R head. There is another marking is the Green Paint near the distributor unless if was washed off (refer picture above). Hope this helps

Last edited by 9tailsfox; 05-11-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9tailsfox
Hello. I wonder nowadays in my country Malaysia could ever easily found a pure genuine origin JDM B18CR or B16B full engine from halfcut. Well, I'm sure there is, but not as easy. Most of us in Malaysia having the upgrade or make the conversion which is part by part. Let's say I got the wedges in this month that affordable to buy a B18CR block and is a deal. Then the rest of the type R head and type R Cam and so on... Some they prefer once buy it just Plug and play... since Most B16/18 series Dohc Vtec are compatible( Mix and Match). So what could we do to prevent being cheat or lie by those dishonest seller. They could offer you a bit lower price.... let's say they offering you a B16a head + B18C R. Since not everyone out there could identify genuine type r head. Unless you uncover it, or some experience type R racer or pro mechanic. But still not a 100% that can tell is a truth Type R head. What about a B16a upgrade to double valve spring + type R Cam. I understand B16a is same to Type R, The Factory had Mild Port and Polish job
as you can refer this link ( Pls Skip until 6:18, unless)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqJdnE-LfA

Well this valve seat job can be done on b16a cylinder head. Just pay extra $$$ to some one who have the experience valve job handle. Maybe what you pay get even better than a Honda Factory Type R default, who knows it? or maybe even worth. So let's just say we don't prefer PNP job at the moment. All we need just determine it is a Type R. Is that simple.(>13 years old engine)

B16a/b,B18cR
==========

1) PR3-3, PR3-2,PR3-4,(PR3-1(rarely seen on this one))

2)Green Paint on the distributor(might be fade or wipe off cause by ages)

3)Year made 9/6, 9/8, 0/0 (not to determine Type R but determine year made spec)

4) Please pay attention to this, Above 1-3 some of us might already know. I'm not sure is that picture shown No 4 with 3 square stamp with a chinese word 正 in the box (some Japanese word are same to Chinese)that can determine as a Type R head. But Most I saw with this wording 正 is on Type R.( Please correct me if I'm wrong) So this is what the forum is all about.

5) I noticed that 1st gen and (Eg6,EG9)2nd gen b16a, don't have the 3 boxes and word marking. But 3rd gen B16a do have the marking according one of my friend told me who is driving Civic SiR-III Ek4(Singapore). But my friend told me that the word 正 is not complete. So I believe it is some marking that identify the grade or else????

Hi!

I Just recently got a B20v and it has the Type R intake (P73) and the guy claimed it got a B16 head however my believe it is a Type R head, how could I distinguish it besides the green paint and the PR3-3 code? It has the same markings as c/5 or something like that at first of the date code, how could I checked it? Please help! Thanks

Old 12-27-2020, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The only way to physically tell
Check if intake side is ported slightly

Otherwise everything else can switch out to make a “type r replica head”

96/97/98/99/00 if it’s not any of these years it’s guaranteed not a type r head. years is only type r casting
But that tells u only year not if actual type r

Those Chinese letters Japanese letters mean absolutely NOTHING
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

JO3L, the head casting you have pictured was cast in May of 1993... there were NO ITR engines manufactured that year. The Japanese writing does NOT identify a Type R head casting... just as KINGDEE206 stated above.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance needed: Identify Type-R Head

Ohhhhhh I can see it now lol, the 93 it's backwards, silly me lmao, Thanks a lot my friends!!