Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

(I Need Advice)Frankenstein Motors B-Series(which combos make the most power ?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post (I Need Advice)Frankenstein Motors B-Series(which combos make the most power ?)

Im doing an engine swap on a 1990 Civic EF Hatch and I need to know which Frankenstein combos for B-series engines make the most power?

-B16 Head/B18 Block
-B16 Head/B20 Block
-B18 Head/B20 Block
-B18C Head/B18B or A Block

Any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Need Advice)Frankenstein Motors B-Series(which combos make the most power ?)

B20's all the way.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:02 AM

Default Re: (I Need Advice)Frankenstein Motors B-Series(which combos make the most power ?)

B18c(p72)/B20 Will prob. have the most flexability.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B20 head/B16 block works the best!!!! 2.0 liter head is BIG and best! POWER IS IN THEE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, you can put a B20 head on a B16 block? I didn't know that was possible, sounds like a good idea though.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 092eg6
B20 head/B16 block works the best!!!! 2.0 liter head is BIG and best! POWER IS IN THEE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the WORST advise ever.........

the power is in the head but not in any B20 heads, and the b16 block will be the worst pick as well.

You want a b20 block and a b16 head.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
This is the WORST advise ever.........

the power is in the head but not in any B20 heads, and the b16 block will be the worst pick as well.

You want a b20 block and a b16 head.
oh common it was just a joke!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b18 block for better compromise of higher rev limit than b20 and more torque/power potential than b16, b18a/b/c5 and b16 heads are the same if ur changing to aftermarket valvetrain which is recomended. just 2 cents
Old 03-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 092eg6
oh common it was just a joke!
poor sense of humor
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg6nike
b18 block for better compromise of higher rev limit than b20 and more torque/power potential than b16, b18a/b/c5 and b16 heads are the same if ur changing to aftermarket valvetrain which is recomended. just 2 cents
dude, NO. b18a/b/c5 and b16 heads are NOT the same. get the b18a/b heads out of there, they're freaking nonvtec heads they're completely different. b18c5/b16 heads are the same casting...

bigger displacement = more power/tq.

so for max power, b20 block, and pick your choice of a b-series vtec head, as mentioned already.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95skunkedgsr
poor sense of humor
i don't think that people realize that in the TECHNICAL forums, people would like to trust the information that they read....too bad that's unrealistic
Old 03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by noboostedEGo
dude, NO. b18a/b/c5 and b16 heads are NOT the same. get the b18a/b heads out of there, they're freaking nonvtec heads they're completely different. b18c5/b16 heads are the same casting...

bigger displacement = more power/tq.

so for max power, b20 block, and pick your choice of a b-series vtec head, as mentioned already.
my bad posted this pretty late at night b18a/b heads SHOULDN'T BE THERE AT ALL. but b20 blocks may give u more power but has a much lower rev limit and u would get less reliability due to the thinner cylinder walls. if you were able to add parts and do tuning to widen your torque curve and take it possibly past the redline of a b20 block you would have far less reliability at those higher rpms than you would get if you took a b18 block over its stock redline. i agree stock b20 vtec has more power/torque but an ls vtec has more potential if your going to change internals and expand your torque curve to higher rpms. the only way to make a b20 rev just as high as a b18 i think would be to sleeve it. hope u understand what im trying to say im looking more at power potential than out the box performance and not considering sleeving because that is quite expensive.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the b16head/b18block might be the best choice here, do they make stroker kits for b-series motors?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLmotor_89
sounds like the b16head/b18block might be the best choice here, do they make stroker kits for b-series motors?
storking is available but also really expensive and also reduces ur rev limit because there is an increase in side loading of the cylinder walls as you will be lowering the rod to stroke ratio. its better to do a bore to increase displacement which will help maintain your rev limit by making the engine more oversquare.

you can reference more this article for a more conscious decision.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=20

good luck
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think that people realize that in the TECHNICAL forums, people would like to trust the information that they read....too bad that's unrealistic
I love how the majority of the answers are coming from "Trial" and "Junior" members....they're the only ones even dignifying this thread with a response, for the most part.

A question like this just means that the OP doesn't even have the VAGUEST grasp of the principles of making HP & Torque.

Why not go do some reading/research and understand WHY people are making these recommendations rather than just blindly following them? Oh, and don't come back here and say that starting a thread to ask questions IS a form of research....it's not even close. It's asking to be spoon-fed information that is EASILY available. It just SCREAMS LAZINESS!!

I swear to God, the QUALITY of the H-T AM forum has really gone to sh*t.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C_Rock77
I love how the majority of the answers are coming from "Trial" and "Junior" members....they're the only ones even dignifying this thread with a response, for the most part.

A question like this just means that the OP doesn't even have the VAGUEST grasp of the principles of making HP & Torque.

Why not go do some reading/research and understand WHY people are making these recommendations rather than just blindly following them? Oh, and don't come back here and say that starting a thread to ask questions IS a form of research....it's not even close. It's asking to be spoon-fed information that is EASILY available. It just SCREAMS LAZINESS!!

I swear to God, the QUALITY of the H-T AM forum has really gone to sh*t.
i completely understand ur point but some people just arent good at doing their own research. even when they know where to look they dont kno what to look for, and generally arent able to consider all the factors of building an engine. but yea doing research definitely is the best way to expand your knowledge. its all i do at night. lol

and i mean members like urself helped me so i figure i should help others too.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i completely understand ur point but some people just arent good at doing their own research. even when they know where to look they dont kno what to look for, and generally arent able to consider all the factors of building an engine.
HORSESH*T! No offense. If you are registered on H-T and came into the All-Motor Forum and you can't find good information, it's because you're f*cking LAZY!

i mean members like urself helped me so i figure i should help others too.
Being lazy and just asking for a question to be answered is NOT the same as research.

Hey, if I helped you, I'm glad you appreciated it. If I helped you, chances are that you asked a well-thought out question that showed from where your thought process was coming....meaning it shows that you PUT IN SOME EFFORT.

You might've been COMPLETELY WRONG in your train of thought...but Hell, at least there was some effort put in to get there.

It's like a anything else....don't just say "I don't know how to do it, now do it for me."

I get so sick of these douchebags that ask stupid questions and want to be spoon-fed!

I mean, referring to THIS question.....it's not like there aren't at least 2 or 3 LOOONG threads with build details showing results, etc. All you've got to do is open one or 2 threads, and you'll have more information than you'd ever really need...

Jesus, they don't call it FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS for nothing.....
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C_Rock77
HORSESH*T! No offense. If you are registered on H-T and came into the All-Motor Forum and you can't find good information, it's because you're f*cking LAZY!

Being lazy and just asking for a question to be answered is NOT the same as research.

Hey, if I helped you, I'm glad you appreciated it. If I helped you, chances are that you asked a well-thought out question that showed from where your thought process was coming....meaning it shows that you PUT IN SOME EFFORT.

You might've been COMPLETELY WRONG in your train of thought...but Hell, at least there was some effort put in to get there.

It's like a anything else....don't just say "I don't know how to do it, now do it for me."

I get so sick of these douchebags that ask stupid questions and want to be spoon-fed!

I mean, referring to THIS question.....it's not like there aren't at least 2 or 3 LOOONG threads with build details showing results, etc. All you've got to do is open one or 2 threads, and you'll have more information than you'd ever really need...

Jesus, they don't call it FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS for nothing.....
thats absolutely true i didnt even realize we were in the all motor section theres tons of info in here lol
Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats absolutely true i didnt even realize we were in the all motor section theres tons of info in here lol
yup. where greenhorn ht'ers often go wrong is trying to skip ahead and learn everything about honda motors/setups, when in reality they know jack **** about how engines work in general. (i'm not talking about knowing the 4stroke cycle lol)

eg6nike, i've been there. reading all day/night trying to get a grasp and figure out what's going on. it takes time....and UNFORTUNATELY, you can only learn so much by reading.

if you really wanna learn, find some local members (if possible) that have experience with hondas. find local meets, make some new friends. ask if you can hang around and learn some stuff when they have a project, or could use a helping hand/bitch....they might blow you off and make you feel like an idiot. so what. good for you.

eventually it'll pan out and you'll start learning things hands-on. once you have a basic knowledge grasp, THEN supplementing what you know with reading FACTUAL, TECHNICAL information will pay higher dividends.

read some of this. some of it will be hard to follow. good. look up words/terms you don't get. pm people that seem cool/knowledgeable. they'll usually get less pissed at you then adding a weak post to the forum.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1734257
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2276421
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2337292
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=r%2Fs+ratio (this last one isn't in the faq, but it was one of my early favorite threads)

sry to digress with the windbag post, but this thread was a piece of **** anyways, hopefully this helps a little bit. (btw the 1st 3 threads i posted were all in the AM FAQ...)
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and only ASK, if you absolutely CANNOT figure it out yourself.

What you know is not NEARLY as important as your capacity to LEARN
Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, this thread is kind of weak. OP, you're taking the wrong approach a little bit. The first two things you need to figure out are your power goals, your budget, your knowledge, and your time frame. You'll have to be realistic with yourself here. After that, you can start planning out a build. The more reading you do, the better decisions you will make, and the more specific your questions are the more help you will get.

For max power obviously you need max displacement, and the two ways of doing that while staying B-series are to bore a B18 or to buy a B20. That may not be necessary, however, as a stock bore B18 can get you pretty far. Again it depends on your money and power goals.

As far as heads go, you'll find that both B16 and B18 heads are pretty similar and that people have a lot of luck with either head. You can always look at the dynos section to see what it takes to get particular power outputs, and with a little help from Google you can get a good idea of what an all-motor build costs. You can also see what mods are consistently used by the strongest engines.

I think you'll find that no particular setup is 'best.' There are pros and cons to most builds, and there are often multiple ways of arriving at a similar power figure.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup. where greenhorn ht'ers often go wrong is trying to skip ahead and learn everything about honda motors/setups, when in reality they know jack **** about how engines work in general. (i'm not talking about knowing the 4stroke cycle lol)

eg6nike, i've been there. reading all day/night trying to get a grasp and figure out what's going on. it takes time....and UNFORTUNATELY, you can only learn so much by reading.

if you really wanna learn, find some local members (if possible) that have experience with hondas. find local meets, make some new friends. ask if you can hang around and learn some stuff when they have a project, or could use a helping hand/bitch....they might blow you off and make you feel like an idiot. so what. good for you.

eventually it'll pan out and you'll start learning things hands-on. once you have a basic knowledge grasp, THEN supplementing what you know with reading FACTUAL, TECHNICAL information will pay higher dividends.

read some of this. some of it will be hard to follow. good. look up words/terms you don't get. pm people that seem cool/knowledgeable. they'll usually get less pissed at you then adding a weak post to the forum.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1734257
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2276421
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2337292
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=r%2Fs+ratio (this last one isn't in the faq, but it was one of my early favorite threads)

sry to digress with the windbag post, but this thread was a piece of **** anyways, hopefully this helps a little bit. (btw the 1st 3 threads i posted were all in the AM FAQ...)
this is quite informative

thnx
Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go put in some work looking at stuff and getting a grasp on things.

Come back and ask a question with some thought behind it so you don't look like such a lazy f*cking sh*t!

I SINCERELY hope that this thread has made you check yourself, and fills you with a burning desire to come back and prove to us you're not a lazy sh*t. At least, that's what it would do to ME.

I guy can dream....
Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLmotor_89
Listen here C_Rock77, I was just tryin to get some other opinions u f*ckin tard. Thats what the f*ck a forum is for you ignorant ***** so get the f*ck off it. You could have simply not replied at all and left it alone, but instead you chose to be an *******. Part of doing research is asking for opinions and feedback. This is a internet forum, so how the f*ck do you know what I'm doing outside of this, the answer is you dont because instead of helping you post an irrelavant comment like an ***, I didnt ask ur dumb *** directly did I? I've already done a motor swap and now I just want to try something different, but I'll just let you make your assumptions like the idiot you are. At least these so called non-members that your complaining about were decent enough and curtious enough to reply with helpful answers, there better members than you right know thats for sure. You've just complained like a BITCH(although that shoe probably fits) So if you dont have anything possitive to say GO F*CK YOUR SELF!

P.S. GET A GRASP ON THESE NUTS! HOPE U RAP THAT P.O.S. INTEGRA AROUND A TREE

Have a nice day
now you sound like every other e-thuggin noob that gets pissed when they don't get mother's soft touch when they ask beaten to death questions.

you just ruined your own thread with that post (tho it was weak already), and it doesn't make you look cool, sorry.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

now you sound like every other e-thuggin noob that gets pissed when they don't get mother's soft touch when they ask beaten to death questions.

you just ruined your own thread with that post (tho it was weak already), and it doesn't make you look cool, sorry.
Thanks, you got a point, but I just thought it was messed up for people to start making assumptions when its just a simple question nothing more. Either you answer it or you dont. But its just a thread so who cares right!

Quick Reply: (I Need Advice)Frankenstein Motors B-Series(which combos make the most power ?)