Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

How to store crankshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to store crankshaft?

I'm picking up a crankshaft today and just wondering if i should store it vertically or horizontally. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to store crankshaft? (crxowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm picking up a crankshaft today and just wondering if i should store it vertically or horizontally. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

technically you can lay it down for a few hours on it's horizontal position...but if the crankshaft is being stored for a long term, there is a way of specially keeping the crankshaft from flexing and warping in the center while sitting due to the counterweights on it.

At school we had a device/holder that you would hold the crankshaft by each crank and/or rod journal. I can only recommend you put some pieces of wood or thin books under the journals to keep the center of the crankshaft from sagging.

also be sure to keep the crankshaft oiled so it doesn't dry out and start surface rust
Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow i never knew it was that fragile....
Old 08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (atg1290)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atg1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow i never knew it was that fragile....</TD></TR></TABLE>

sarcasm?
well it's not like the crankshaft will bend right away, but in time it supposedly will warp depending on how you store it.

like i said, make sure you have it laying flat with something under each journal/main and it will distribute weight properly compared to if you were to have each end holding the crankshaft
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.RHTuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sarcasm?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was being serious im a noob and havent heard that....
Old 08-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Ginger Kid

I will tell you from experience after having my crank laying on the floor in a oily towel for 2 years and nothing happening like that, just wrap it in a oily towel, keep it in a place that keeps somewhat a constant temp and you are good to go.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (atg1290)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atg1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was being serious im a noob and havent heard that.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

ohh lol ok my bad

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pomansouth01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will tell you from experience after having my crank laying on the floor in a oily towel for 2 years and nothing happening like that, just wrap it in a oily towel, keep it in a place that keeps somewhat a constant temp and you are good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this information is what I got from engine builders including my teacher in my engine dynamics course.

Like I said, better be safe then sorry right?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.RHTuner)

You are either supposed to store them in a device that supports them on all of the main journals or by standing them up on either end
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ekasey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ekasey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are either supposed to store them in a device that supports them on all of the main journals or by standing them up on either end</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you! finally somebody with a reputation steps in
Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use the old main caps and girlde. and set the crank in that, supports it fine,
Old 08-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was taught the same thing.But after seeing what it takes to straighten a bent crank I believe you could clamp the snout in a vice horizontally for a thousand years and never be able to measure a difference.It's scary to see how far you have to overbend a crank to get it to move .001".Rust and dents/scratches are your only real enemies.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 AM

It's being stored in my room, I already have the block I dont want to lay it in the journals cuz i dont have bearings yet and im scared somone might turn the crank. If i lay paper towels or or some kind of fabric in the journals you guys think that'll be ok?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's being stored in my room, I already have the block I dont want to lay it in the journals cuz i dont have bearings yet and im scared somone might turn the crank. If i lay paper towels or or some kind of fabric in the journals you guys think that'll be ok?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes that will be fine, if you put paper towels or a really soft cloth and lay the crank in there then it will be fine.

What you can also try to do is put normal tape on the journals of the crank and the resting area on the block and that should prevent any scratches pretty good. Then when it comes time to take the tape off, you can use paint thinner or goo-gone to remove the tape sticky
Old 08-19-2006, 10:06 AM

this is what i learn from tech. school. the crankshaft should be store horizontally, if you plan to store for a long time. the crankshaft is very hard, but it will break and bent. if store vertically it must be in the block...
Old 08-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to store crankshaft? (IMPORTONLY)

im storing mine in my block, i just layed it in after oiling everything well, and then put a big trash bag over th eblock so no one can touch anything.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Thanks guys, really appreciate your suggestions.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to store crankshaft? (IMPORTONLY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMPORTONLY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is what i learn from tech. school. the crankshaft should be store vertically, if you plan to store for a long time. the crankshaft is very hard, but it will break and bent. if store horizontally it must be in the block...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im pretty sure thats what you meant??

Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 PM

You wanna deffinately store it vertical or else it will not work properly when you install it.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EastCoastEK
You wanna deffinately store it vertical or else it will not work properly when you install it.
Holy ignorant post batman!
Sorry for the thread revival but I just spent 30 mins googling the crap out of this to see what people were saying on the matter.
My B18C crank I had laying flat on the garage floor for almost 4 years before we dropped that 7XX whp dyno...

The reason cranks are stored vertically is FOR SPACE. You really and truly believe that a crankshaft can bend under its own weight??? If it did it would last all of 5 mins in your engine before existing out your hood.

Hanging it? Next time I will put mine with my jeans and leather jacket.

Use common sense next tme.