Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Engine Surge When Shift

Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Surge When Shift

Hello -- I have a 2002 Honda Accord Ex, 5 speed manual transmission, low mileage (only abt. 12K miles). Bought it new from the local dealer. Other than the issue below, I really love my Honda, it's my second one.

About a month ago I suddenly noticed the following - this begain to happen during an outing (when I left home it was fine, part way through the day it began exhibiting these symptoms):

As I'm accelerating and preparing to *upshift* from one gear to the next, when I simultaneously come off the throttle and depress the clutch, for a brief moment engine rpm's either hang at the rpm they were running when in gear and under power, or they actually surge slightly - about 50 - 100rpm - then briefly drop to rpms they were running at under power, before finally dropping to idle as they should.

It's not my shifting/clutching (i.e. I'm not unintentionally holding the throttle partly open); I've paid special attention to that and have been driving manuals for years.

This all occurs in the space of about a second or two while I'm out of the throttle.

It occurs when shifting between all/any of the 5 speeds.

Once I'm in the next highest gear the engine seems to respond normally under accel, decel, cruising, etc.

This does not occur when downshifting.

It does not occur when I'm *not accelerating and only upshifting from one gear to another to put it in a higher gear (e.g. to save a little gas/emissions while simply cruising at a constant speed).

I am unable to reliably reproduce the problem when simply sitting still and revving the engine - e.g. in neutral or with the clutch depressed.

Outside air temp. doesn't seem to matter.

Whether or not the car is warmed up or not doesn't seem to matter.

Neither the phase of the moon nor brand of whisky I drink has any effect.

I typically run Octane 95.

I've had it to my Honda dealer twice, and they claim nothing is wrong. The second time they gave me some line about the "PCM is possibly reading a high hydrocarbon and leaving idle high to burn off excess fuel..." (written on the service ticket).

Well, of course something is wrong - I've had the car since new, 2002, and only recently started doing it (per description above).

It's extremely annoying!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sheldon