stock b16a2 head
aem cai
3 in custom exhaust straight pipe
dc headers
walboro 255 fuel pump
ngk wires
b16a2 trans
b16a2 ecu (not sure)

i have these things now and ready to install when i get the whole gameplan down:
b20b block
port matched b16a2 head
crower valvetrain
p73 manifold
650cc injectors
hondata s200 w p73 ecu
thermal intake mani gasket & tb gasket
70mm omni tb
aem cam gears
benen fuel rail
greddy timing belt
arp rod bolts & head studs
magnetic oil & trans plugs
gsr water & oil pump

getting the block torn apart and checked out for bore etc. and head is getting full pnp. looking at getting blox p1 cams (skunk2 pro1 copy).
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: switching over to b20vtec build!!!! advice plz

70 mm tb and 650cc injectors are over kill maybe 68 mm tb portmatched to the intake mani maybe 440cc injectors and with pro1 cams i hope your changing the pistons if not your motor isnt gonna last due to piston to valve clearence issue get the rs machines b20 type r style pistons
Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by negusjuda
70 mm tb and 650cc injectors are over kill maybe 68 mm tb portmatched to the intake mani maybe 440cc injectors and with pro1 cams i hope your changing the pistons if not your motor isnt gonna last due to piston to valve clearence issue get the rs machines b20 type r style pistons
yes i am getting some aftermarket pistons and prob some eagle rods. I have seen others with 70mm tb and put up good numbers i dont see what 2mm is going to have big difference but please more input on that is fine. I was going to have it portmatched to the itr mani. 650cc injectors i already have and i just figured i mind as well use them and just step them down with the hondata or fpr, am i wrong?

i guess i had a mild pnp head but the shop is going to do a better job and clean the head. He said he will call me back once he takes a look at the block better and opens it up. then ill know what bore for my pistons. I see guys with and without block guards i was gonna leave it out but could use some personal opinions on that. Another thing is i was sold 9mm ARP rod bolts instead of the 8mm ones for the b20 rods. He is gonna let me know if we can go with the 9mm ones or not. Anyone else use the 9mm ones?

Im going to pick up obd1 gsr oil pump, gsr water pump, and an incomplete vtec conversion kit today $60 for all three. Im not sure what obd i need to be using tho because on the eg i have obd1 block and obd2 head. Im new to this whole thing its my first import ive done heavy mods on so im learning as i go.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just got my oil pump and water pump along with an incomplete golden eagle vtec conversion kit, it only has the sandwhich plate and the steel braided line.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

headstuds came in today and throttle body thermal gasket (70mm).

also sent payment for a set of lightly used CP pistons 12.5 cr.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slide inside
92 eg hatch with right now:
stock b18a block
stock b16a2 head
aem cai ( 3inch Short ram with a V-stack better for mid & topend)
3 in custom exhaust straight pipe
dc headers ( Bottle neck you need a big tube header for a 2 liter motor )
walboro 255 fuel pump
ngk wires
b16a2 trans
b16a2 ecu (not sure) ( wont work chipped OBD1 )

i have these things now and ready to install when i get the whole gameplan down:
b20b block
port matched b16a2 head
crower valvetrain
p73 manifold ( Go with something aftermarket for the price you've can gain more horsepower)
650cc injectors ( way too big for allmotor 410cc -440cc)
hondata s200 w p73 ecu
thermal intake mani gasket & tb gasket ( waste of money stick to OEM one's )
70mm omni tb
aem cam gears
benen fuel rail
greddy timing belt
arp rod bolts & head studs
magnetic oil & trans plugs
gsr water & oil pump

getting the block torn apart and checked out for bore etc. and head is getting full pnp. looking at getting blox p1 cams (skunk2 pro1 copy).
The only cams from the Blox i'd recommend is the Blox Type B or Type C. I also added some side notes to when i quoted ur initial post.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

headstuds came in today and throttle body thermal gasket (70mm).

also sent payment for a set of lightly used CP pistons 12.5 cr.
Jesus, that's quite a bit of compression if you're looking at running 93 octane!

As for the OBD question, the simplest solution will be to go with the OBD of the car. If it's an OBD1 car (and you're using the harness) use that.

OBD1 vs 2 doesn't really matter with respect to the head. The only difference will be the injectors (which you're changing, anyway) and the distributor.

What are you going to be using this car for?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C_Rock77
Jesus, that's quite a bit of compression if you're looking at running 93 octane!

As for the OBD question, the simplest solution will be to go with the OBD of the car. If it's an OBD1 car (and you're using the harness) use that.

OBD1 vs 2 doesn't really matter with respect to the head. The only difference will be the injectors (which you're changing, anyway) and the distributor.

What are you going to be using this car for?

if i had a doller for every person i told not to go over 12.0:1 on pump gas id be rich i dont know why everyone insist on running such high compression he can run 11.5:1 on 93 pump gas and will make the same hp as if he ran the 12.5:1 the diffrence is he has to be a lot more careful and cautious running 12.5:1 i think people run these high compression number because they see others run them what they dont see is that a lot of the other people motors dont last or they blame it on so called weak cylinder walls of the b20 when in reality its the detonation because of the to high of a compression and not high enough octane fuel thats causing these motors to fail. the higher compression you run the higher the octane fuel you need
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i had a doller for every person i told not to go over 12.0:1 on pump gas id be rich i dont know why everyone insist on running such high compression he can run 11.5:1 on 93 pump gas and will make the same hp as if he ran the 12.5:1 the diffrence is he has to be a lot more careful and cautious running 12.5:1 i think people run these high compression number because they see others run them what they dont see is that a lot of the other people motors dont last or they blame it on so called weak cylinder walls of the b20 when in reality its the detonation because of the to high of a compression and not high enough octane fuel thats causing these motors to fail. the higher compression you run the higher the octane fuel you need
people are really tryin to push the limits of pump gas, smh
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right now i'm sitting at 11:8.1cr in my gsr. so im fine for now
Old 03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys and yes i went with 12.5 cuz thats what i saw alot of people using for b20v here on stock sleeves. i just got some CP pistons from a guy here for 175 used but almost new. I was worried about the pump gas as well but seeing how everyone is using 12.5 i thought it was good to go. :/

the car will be used a couple days a week and some street stuff. Are the blox P1 cams too agressive for city driving in traffic sometimes? (hawaii)

thanks for the clearing up on the obd stuff c rock
Old 03-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys and yes i went with 12.5 cuz thats what i saw alot of people using for b20v here on stock sleeves. i just got some CP pistons from a guy here for 175 used but almost new. I was worried about the pump gas as well but seeing how everyone is using 12.5 i thought it was good to go. :/
Knowing that your pistons are going to need new rings, I don't really think you made the right decision on the $175 for the CP pistons. I seriously think you're going to have issues. I'd shelf those pistons or try to sell them to someone else and go with a brand new set of Supertech pistons to get you a CR of < 12:1. One tank of bad gas on that 12.5:1 CR, and you'll be wishing you'd gone with a lower CR, I PROMISE YOU.

You'd better TRAILER that car to a tuner to have any hope of it living if you stay with it.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C_Rock77
Knowing that your pistons are going to need new rings, I don't really think you made the right decision on the $175 for the CP pistons. I seriously think you're going to have issues. I'd shelf those pistons or try to sell them to someone else and go with a brand new set of Supertech pistons to get you a CR of < 12:1. One tank of bad gas on that 12.5:1 CR, and you'll be wishing you'd gone with a lower CR, I PROMISE YOU.

You'd better TRAILER that car to a tuner to have any hope of it living if you stay with it.
x100 i seriously dont get the 12.5:1 on pump gas craz thats going on that high of a compression on pump gas isnt gonna gain you any more hp
Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x100 i seriously dont get the 12.5:1 on pump gas craz thats going on that high of a compression on pump gas isnt gonna gain you any more hp
People hear 1 or 2 people that have done it or "have a friend that has done it" and listen to that rather than the other many people telling them it's too much.

Most of the people that know better aren't answering questions like these b/c they know from experience that if someone hears from 1 or 2 ppl that it can be done, they're only going to listen to that.

I just don't get why you'd buy pistons w/o doing due diligence to the research.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so why are 80% of people using over 12.1 compression? tell me that? and what all their motors are going to blow? lol man i had a hookup on the pistons but i listened to your advice now others sayin its ok with good tune. Im using s200 and ill tow it to a reputable tuner here. So is it still wiser to go with say 11.5 compression or less? I dont understand how are all these other guys running high cr and not blowing but you guys insist??????
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so why are 80% of people using over 12.1 compression? tell me that? and what all their motors are going to blow? lol man i had a hookup on the pistons but i listened to your advice now others sayin its ok with good tune. Im using s200 and ill tow it to a reputable tuner here. So is it still wiser to go with say 11.5 compression or less? I dont understand how are all these other guys running high cr and not blowing but you guys insist??????
for one 80 percent of the people arent running over 12:1 and a lot of them are running race fuel or e85 also ask the 80 percent how many times they rebuilt there motor go on the built b20 thread and most of the people running that kind of compression run it on the track only i still say i wouldnt run anything over 12.0:1 on pump gas and that being static compression so i would get pistons rated at 11.5:1 because when you buy pistons they dont account for the head being decked or the block being decked for example i got je 10.5:1 compression pistons with my head being decked .010 of a inch it bumped my compression up to 11.0:1 thats why i say stay under 12.0:1 anything over that should be ran on higher octane then pump gas all compression is for is to allow you to run higher octane fuel why run high compression and then use low octane fuel your NOT going to gain anymore hp running over 12:1 comp then you would if you ran 11:1 compression on pump gas
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see that helps alot. I guess you are right no one is specifying octane etc. 10.5:1 pistons good for a daily/street weekend b20v?

machine shop still has not tore down the b20 yet to see what bore and whatever else i need to have done.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_sir2
The only cams from the Blox i'd recommend is the Blox Type B or Type C. I also added some side notes to when i quoted ur initial post.
sorry i missed this post before and thanks for the notes

with the 650cc inj i already have them so wouldnt tuning enable me to still use them? id hate to have to take a loss selling them and buying new ones. what would you reccommend as far as brands? RC 440 peak hold?

the headers i intended on upgrading maybe the rmf narrow ones.

the short ram with velocity stack it seems everyone is using those so ill prob have to pick that up too.

i see people always using the thermal gaskets with no problems just wondering why you would go against them. they seal right? and proven to increase hp very little but still.

the blox cams, do you only rec the type B and C because thats all youve seen ran or what is wrong with the P1 if its a clone of the skunk1 Pro1?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

called the machine shop and they still havent touched the b20 or the b16 head, i guess im still in line for the work. they are going to call once they can give me more info.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess my thread pretty much sucks
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no its just there is a thousand threads just like it lol i found that out the same wa ywith my threads
Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk when i search for b20 vtec stuff (in different word combinations) i dont get many threads that have good info or anything.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at the stock sleeve b20vtec dyno thread its all you will need that thread has every b20vtec build combo you can think of
Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/%2A%2A%2Aofficial-all-motor-stock-sleeve-b20vtec-thread%2A%2A%2A-1555476/
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha exactly! thats the only one! ive been subbed to that thread for a long time. people are posting but nothing goes into detail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: switching over to b20vtec build!!!! advice plz