Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build

Should be a fun, good engine. I like the valve cover/spark plug cover combo too.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

let us know dyno ## and sheets!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you thank you. Nothing really new but just letting you guys know I'm still alive and working hard. Recently just bolted up the mid-shaft and starter. Kinda at the point where just putting things on. Makes me wish I just got a whole swap sometimes

When that day arrives I'll definitely give you guys a first start video and a drive. Just be patient a little longer. I will post numbers ASAP as well. Just for kicks here's a picture of my current powerhouse of a Japanese car

The infamous D15b7That header was just for fun haha. Actually apart of my senior project.

Next update we'll be back on track I promise.

In the meantime how many of you have seen that documentary "The Pursuit of Function"?

Definitely inspiring to me.

Peace out G's
Old 12-01-2016, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's up

So the fateful day came last Saturday and we swapped the motor into the car.

Took just about a whole day. Luckily everything went smooth and we had very minimal problems.

Anyways the motor turned over first try!(we primed the oil pump of course). You guys had no idea how great it felt to hear it roar to life after all that hard work, researching, and planning.

heres a few pics of the swap

This motor served me well for 3 years. Gonna keep it
It was so strange to see my own car like this
There's the beast
Unforunately we weren't able to use the Alpha Series header off the bat due to fitment issues.. but that'll change soon. Thanks to some to local connections we can customize our exhausts to our needs..

The only other problem we ran into was throttle cable/bracket and body. We had to use the one off the single slam because it seems every B series throttle body within 100 miles seems to have a broken TPS sensor. Seriously what is it with those..

anyways it seemed the throttle cable was too short intially being maxed out on its threads. It's just odd to me because I used a 99-00 Si throttle cable, bracket and your basic b16 manifold. Assuming it would work, it didn't as well as I predicted. So here's the compromise

It works just fine surprisingly Thank you guys so much for following me on this build. There will be more to come regarding numbers and other little changes here and there. It runs decent on a chipped p28 with b16 base. Will complete its break in period and then we should be putting it on the dyno in mid December. Very exciting.

Catch you guys later
Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you have speedfactory or Rich tune it?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Are you have speedfactory or Rich tune it?
None of those actually. We have a different guy who's not as known but he's been in the game for a long time. Has plenty of experience to the point where I trust it'll run right.

I did look into speedfactory, but not richtuned even though I've heard good things about them both

ill take recommendations. I'm still open for discussion haha
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well I'd like to know who you're referring to. I have been in the honda community around WA for quite some time and know quite a few names. Rich is a good tuner, but I personally think Kenny is one of the best tuners in the country across all platforms @ speedfactory. Rich tuned my car 3 times this year and did a good job, but I may give Kenny a shot if I still have the car next spring just to see what the difference is. There are only a couple guys I personally know and would allow to tune my car outside of those shops, and there are a few shops that I wouldn't even allow to sniff the e85 in my tank. Its a fairly simple NA tune so anyone can tune it decent, but finding that extra 7-10whp in a build like this will set you apart. Just food for thought.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A gentleman by the name of Dave Lee. Certainly not the best like Kenny but he will be sufficient. As far as I know he had a pretty solid 12 second b20v years back. He's tuned my friends cars and they both run pretty nice for a street tune. Where you from in Washington? Probably Sea-tac area huh
Old 12-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know who he is. He tuned Spikers car and does a good job. I live in Maple Valley. He's tuned a few other cars I know of and they had good success as well.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bla

Last edited by KiNGDEE206; 12-21-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a set of 272's in my old motor that got stolen. They ran pretty damn well for a regrind

Rich is $300 or $400 for Na tunes I think. Retunes he will talk to each person on a case by case basis
Old 12-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dave will do street tunes for 250, and for dyno it'll be 350. Not too bad IMO
Old 12-24-2016, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's up guys. I know your all expecting some numbers from my engine. I decided to pull it out and swap it back to the single cam. Although it was fun I wasn't too excited with dailying an lsvtec that was untuned and ran like garbage. It lasted about two weeks. Came to the decision I didn't want the red car to be the race car so recently I just picked up a white CX shell. I've decided making this one the fun car. I should've tuned it that way it was swap ready but oh well. I was very annoyed with it. You really learn to appreciate a nice running car..

anyways here's some pictures

I did the swap this time all by myself.. what a mission Thank god for heated garages. Was dumping snow outside The new addition

I'm sure excited. We'll pick up right where we left off shortly.

Take care.. have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year!
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey HT

nothing really new. Just have the white car chilling in my garage. So far all I've done is just repaint the interior battleship gray and then convert it to black. Once I make the car clean and comfortable to sit in that's when I will drop the motor in. So far everything is good. Got some nice baller hasport mounts and abunch of fresh oem nic nac stuff including brand new civic floor mats.but anyways here's a few pics.
The shell when it first got home. Have headlights but looking for eg6 corners
The lighting in this picture is funny making some spots look darker. I rolled a few coats on and then sprayed to fill in the white
sure I could've really been not lazy and pull all the wires but it doesn't bother me that some have paint on them. After all you won't see them anyways.

Carpet being installed. Si material.
Front half installed. And dash DOES have a matching VIN
I still need a few black pieces like ebrake handle and door handle covers as well as trim pieces around the window. Junkyard run this upcoming weekend.

Anyways I hope all is well for you guys and you had good holidays. Like I said motor will be put in soon and then we'll dyno it and get some numbers on the track this summer

thanks

catch you later
Old 01-30-2017, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I was wondering who did your valve cover? I want to do a yellow vc/ red interior and hose theme
did you do it yourself?
so what happen to lsv did it blow or u just pulled it and didn't do a tune yet
im in seattle wa if you had someone do it lmk how much it cost and who it is!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KiNGDEE206
Hey I was wondering who did your valve cover? I want to do a yellow vc/ red interior and hose theme
did you do it yourself?
so what happen to lsv did it blow or u just pulled it and didn't do a tune yet
im in seattle wa if you had someone do it lmk how much it cost and who it is!
i actually did it myself, I just went and got paint stripper and a scraper and brush and put in some elbow grease to it. Then I masked off all the letters with a simple razor and masking tape. Reallyeasy. It just happens to be very time consuming but you will like the end product.

so today we were gonna travel down south to pick up parts however we got snowed in. Unfortunately I really don't have anything to do so for now I'm just gonna install my Si trailing arms on the car. I'll post a picture when I'm done but in the meantime look at how much it snowed in one night

Look at this sh*t
Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You seem to be off to a god start dude. Both hatches look pretty damn clean! I would think that motor would make a solid 170ish being limited by cams. I had 91 CRX with an LSV p73 pistons and PR3 head and it was a fun little car. I miss the reliability of a NA Honda haha.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup boys.. quick update here. Car is almost done and running. We'll make this quick so first off rear disc brake conversion is complete and functional. And second the motor is back in a car ready to rumble!!

There's passenger side.. (driver side looks exact same)
Empty bay with that g code rear mount And there's the lsvtec back where it wants to be.
other valve cover is off because I got a dyno day coming up here in 2 weeks.. gotta leave those cam gears accessible right

i got those hasport 62a mounts so I hope those will be good for this beast..

and lastly here's a mint interior pic

Got my little Spoon car for inspiration
I'm very proud to see everything come together and I hope it all functions as good as it looks. Thanks for checking in. We'll definitely have numbers next time..

-couchwarrior
Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No catch can?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice progress
Old 03-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by halfakneegrow
No catch can?
not yet sir. I will piece one together here soon though.. unless you have any recommendations. I am open to suggestions
Old 03-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssmrico
nice progress
thank you !
Old 06-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup boys..

good news and and bad news.

bad news is lsvtec took a fat pile of excrement and decided to just not work anymore. Which is pretty upsetting considering the amount of time and money I put into the thing. Sadly I've lost all ambition to finish the build. I'm not even willing to put 5 more dollars into it. Anyways what happened is I started it up, pulled it out of the garage and was leaving my driveway then just went pop and wouldn't start. Anyways absolutely infuriated with that I pushed the thing back in, and pulled the motor out right away. To this day I don't know what it was and honestly don't really care.. I wanted something more reliable.

Good news is I recovered quick and bought a 97 spec b18c1 longblock, all stock.. so I was looking forward to this considering it would be a plug and play swap(which is what I was looking for at the time). Anyways car runs absolutely great now. Our man kingdee on here is the seller and he's a good guy.

only thing I've done to the car that's different is a lightweight flywheel. Anyways here's some pics. We have a dyno day on July 8th just to see where I'm at. (50$ for some odd amount of runs). But future plans for this motor are some cams and a single stage intake manifold. Which are actually gonna happen pretty soon.

Enjoy

The longblock.. needed some work but I got a good deal on it
In the baySo far the motor is excellent, no smokes or ticks. I've already installed new factory water pump, oil pump, and timing belt(with tensioner). Puppy runs like a dream. I don't daily it but I take it out at night or on the weekends. It's pretty damn quick with the transmission. Soon I'll be going up to Canada to go drag race and see what we get. I definitely think it'll be a low to mid 14s.. but only time will tell. Check in with you guys soon with some numbers

Last edited by Couchwarrior; 06-28-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prolly ruined it by not tuning it.

cant afford to do it right, cant afford to do it twice.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dynoed the car today

here's the results

Hope you enjoyed guys. Sucks lsv didn't work out but we'll be back. I'll post up from time to time with updates. I think it did alright with just exhaust and intake. Next time will be with cams and intake manifold but that's not for awhile.

Thanks for following. Peace out for now boys!

Quick Reply: CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build