Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build

What's up HT. What I have here is your typical LSvtec build.. Well kinda. Good news is I didn't really cheap out on anything and I bought quality parts and did tons and tons of research upon this topic. I'm very proud of the final product and I hope you'll enjoy the read. It's not running yet but very soon it will. I'll definitely keep you guys posted

I really don't have any goals in terms of power because it's my first dual cam but I just hope to keep up with other builds local in my area. Only thing I'm aiming for is somewhere in the 13s on the track. Anyways let's begin.

It starts back in May and I bought a b16a3 head. Really simple. Picked it up for 350. Came with intake manifold, throttle body, dizzy, cams, and valve cover. It didn't have to many miles on it so I was pretty hyped. Only con to it is the timing belt cover is cut completely off. I don't mind moon cut but this sh*t is just ghetto in my opinion.

The cc isn't that bad The cut valve cover

Bare head with with b16 cams
First order of business was resurfacing the head.

Nice mirror finish for those MLS gaskets..
Old 10-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build

I got a nice steal on some JDM Gsr cams, now I actually have no idea whether their different in spec compared to usdm but it's just fun to say JDM Gsr haha

Gsr cams inAnother thing I did was get another valve cover, an uncut one. It just had to be repainted. I chose red first but then I didn't like how it turned out so I went with yellow in tribute to Spoon Sports.

This was the actual condition I received it in
Masked off to OE spec(I did mask spark plug holes) Red paint

And there's the yellow. Looks amazing.. I have a Kevlar cover for a nice addition you'll see in the future
Old 10-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build

The bottom end consists of an a1 block. It was not in the best condition when I purchased but I got the whole bottom end for another killer deal, it was actually a package deal with the Gsr cams. There was surface rust on cylinder walls. Other than that it was just really dirty but what can you expect from a 20+ year old block.

You can see the surface rust
After staring at the block for awhile and gathering parts it finally made its way to the machine shop where it got bored out to 82mm. A fresh hone and a nice cleaning. I used stock LS rods because I didn't plan on taking my motor up to 9k so I didn't think it was necessary to invest in rods. I did however purchase ARP rod bolts. So the big ends got resized for those too.
Bored out with hone I originally intended on using Type R Pistons and I actually did purchase but my dumbass forgot you had to modify the small ends of the rods for them to fit.
You can see the difference with pr4(left) compared to p73(right)I sold those bitches and bought pr3(usdm b16) because those fit perfect.
82mm RS machine Pistons(pr3) fit perfect Good stuff

I'll be back later to post more
Old 10-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup.

So since pistons and rods are put together. It's now time to start assembly. For the bearings I obtained ACL main and rod bearings, Type R oil pump and Type R water pump. Now yes we all know 96+ oil pumps are all sufficient but I think the name factor really came into play here. Like the cams it's just baller to say Type R haha. Anyways so with vtec oil and water pumps, I also got the Golden Eagle LSv conversion kit complete with dowel pins, sandwich plate, the tap for the head and plugs. As well as the fittings and hose. Since I was already there I figured I'd get the 82mm headgasket as well. Ive heard good and bad about them but I figured I'd give it a shot.
I also got a Type R timing belt but that's necessary with the matching water pump..That's pretty much everything but there are the little nic-nac parts and seals here and there.. all OEM of course. If any of you were wondering I always ordered my parts through Honda Parts Unlimited. I know there are other sites but I really like how theirs is set up.. easier to use IMO.

lets go on to assembly pictures

Everything laid out
Crank and caps in

By far my favorite picture
I'll be back later to post more about tranny/clutch etc
in the meantime try to guess what transmission I'll be running. I'll PayPal a dollar to whoever gets it right in 2 days

Last edited by Couchwarrior; 10-16-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Couchwarrior
Sup.

In the meantime try to guess what transmission I'll be running. I'll PayPal a dollar to whoever gets it right in 2 days
GS-R

Or B16 w/ GS-R 5th gear.....

That's your best intelligent bet, and I'll assume you're intelligent, so those are my 2 guesses
Old 10-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

He admittedly likes saying "JDM" and "ITR"... so I am going with a JDM ITR transmission with LSD.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really like the yellow color you did for the valve cover! I think I will go with red on mine but that yellow looks amazing! If you havent put your head on the block yet I would really appreciate some more detailed steps of assembly of the golden eagle ls/vtec kit. Havent found much about actually installing all of it. Like the build though! Will definitely be tuning in to this to help me with my build :D
Old 10-17-2016, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hold on. You said Type R pistons but they are stamped PR3?

I hope this build gets a B16 tranny or GSR w/ 4.7 FD
Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
He admittedly likes saying "JDM" and "ITR"... so I am going with a JDM ITR transmission with LSD.
Heh... Touche'
Old 10-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Hold on. You said Type R pistons but they are stamped PR3?

I hope this build gets a B16 tranny or GSR w/ 4.7 FD
He originally had type r pistons but realized they didn't fit the rods without some modification so sold em for the pr3s you see.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is JDM

and what is ITR..?

No, itr tranny would be ideal but I'm running a good ole b16.. nothing fancy about since this car is not going to be my daily so I don't mind the super short gears. I'm pretty stoked. My friend had GSR hatch with b16 tranny and it was pretty quick.

S4c for the playersBe back later

I think 93egsleeper and the shodan were the closest. I'll give you guys a dollar for your next trip to the strip club.. make it rain
Old 10-18-2016, 10:44 AM

What is JDM

and what is ITR..?

No, itr tranny would be ideal but I'm running a good ole b16.. nothing fancy about since this car is not going to be my daily so I don't mind the super short gears. I'm pretty stoked. My friend had GSR hatch with b16 tranny and it was pretty quick.

S4c for the players

I think 93egsleeper and the shodan were the closest. I'll give you guys a dollar for your next trip to the strip club.. make it rain
Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL I said B16 straight up!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:09 AM

LOL I said B16 straight up!
So did I. I just hedged my bet a little.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's talk about clutch and exhaust..

I purchased an Exedy Stage 1 clutch. I've heard good things about this clutch from my local friends and also I didn't think a beefy *** clutch would be needed for my motor. Everything is straightforward with it. Comes with pressure plate and cover, obviously clutch disc. Pilot and throwout bearing. I didn't use that specific one because I had a OEM one I was able to use. At least it's there if I need it.

Resurfaced flywheel. I did clean up my greasy fingerprints before installation Disc and pressure plate mountedI never posted a picture of the longblock assembled.

here is one before we mounted flywheel/clutch and IM.

It was great seeing this after all my hard work.
some of you might think why I'm using that cut VC if I don't like it. I forgot to mention I have Golden Eagle adjustable cam gears. So I have the VC on that way I can advance or retard timing with ease.

Moving onto exhaust..
I have a Skunk2(or junk2) alpha series tri-y that goes to a Skunk2 megapower catback. With a no name test pipe in between. I did want to run Apexi or Tanabe, GReddy or some other baller company but I think the skunk2 will perform just fine. It'll be loud as sh*t but fun forsure.
Got it brand new for an amazing deal This should be proper for my motor
The catback
Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Agamemnon96
If you havent put your head on the block yet I would really appreciate some more detailed steps of assembly of the golden eagle ls/vtec kit. Havent found much about actually installing all of it. Like the build though! Will definitely be tuning in to this to help me with my build :D
Everything is put together. The kit comes with instructions, its not really hard at all. Only 2 things I suggest regarding the kit is
1. Be very careful with tap and make sure it goes in even.
2. Use Hondabond or RTV with all fittings and plugs, I don't think that thread wrap/stuff they recommend is adequate for our kind of application , I'm not sure it's just more of a piece of mind thing for me.

also like everyone else says. Use ARP headstuds. I think it's necessary especially for a high compression engine..

If you have more questions go ahead and shoot me a PM
Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
So did I. I just hedged my bet a little.
always a small twist with you

Got to have a little variety in life.. It's what keeps us on our toes :-)

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-20-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything is put together. The kit comes with instructions, its not really hard at all. Only 2 things I suggest regarding the kit is
1. Be very careful with tap and make sure it goes in even.
2. Use Hondabond or RTV with all fittings and plugs, I don't think that thread wrap/stuff they recommend is adequate for our kind of application , I'm not sure it's just more of a piece of mind thing for me.

also like everyone else says. Use ARP headstuds. I think it's necessary especially for a high compression engine..

If you have more questions go ahead and shoot me a PM

thanks! will do man haha. yea i was definitely planning on getting arp head studs and rod bolts
Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's up guys.. hope you're having a good weekend.

just a quick little update regarding the build.

First off thanks for checking out my thread. Was skeptical of posting because I know there are so many builds out there and I'm sure LSV is old news compared to K series but it's great you guys give the B some love. Anyways here's a nice pic I think you'll like with Spoon Kevlar spark plug cover

Looks pretty damn good IMO.

We should be swapping fairly soon and that's when I'll start my break in period..

a question for you motor break in veterans. I'd like to hear how you guys worked your engine in. I've heard many different things from drive like a grandma all the way to let it rip with short bursts..

yes i have researched this topic but I'd like to hear it anyways. Go ahead and give me some recommendations. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Heres a fun picture for you guys

First dual cam babyyyyy
Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should just buy my car
Old 10-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should just buy my car
Haha perhaps

heres some pictures of the latest thing thats happened
Before the covers Timing covers on
Old 10-25-2016, 12:09 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a question for you motor break in veterans. I'd like to hear how you guys worked your engine in. I've heard many different things from drive like a grandma all the way to let it rip with short bursts..

This is the final word on breaking in an engine.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

If anyone tells you differently, they are misinformed. There is nothing in an engine to 'wear in' besides rings, and any tight clearances are not going to loosen up with use.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM

Well. A final word, yes. But I wouldn't say the final word. Us old guys don't like the fast-break in due to other reasons (lack of roads or dyno, mainly, but there are other reasons) and we tend to use natural vacuum to take care of a lot of the ring seating.

So, although I agree that this is the most modern method, it should be know that it's no the only method.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I mounted the transmission and purchased a alternator and starter. I'll be around mounting those later. Eventually I'll get back to posting more informative updates but unfortunately it's just slow right now. Me and my friends have just been busy and it's been rainy and cold(even in the garage!)

Good combo

Also I got a nice EG6 cluster

Good condition Be back later
Old 11-02-2016, 08:06 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice progress, man. I wish you the best with the results.

Quick Reply: CouchWarrior's Yet-Another-LS/VTEC-Project-Build