Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

How do I find out how many degrees I can safely adjust my cam gears?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I find out how many degrees I can safely adjust my cam gears?

I'm about to dyno my car soon. I plan to get the cam gears adjusted, but my tuner said he needed to know how many degrees he can safely adjust the cam gears. Is there any good way to find this out?

In case it matters the motor's a 81,5x89mm B18C1, 10.0:1, CP (turbo) pistons and ITR head with Skunk2 stage1 Tuner Series cams.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I find out how many degrees I can safely adjust my cam gears?

Look through this.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...rated-fun.html
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: How do I find out how many degrees I can safely adjust my cam gears?

Originally Posted by Pompiuses
I'm about to dyno my car soon. I plan to get the cam gears adjusted, but my tuner said he needed to know how many degrees he can safely adjust the cam gears. Is there any good way to find this out?

In case it matters the motor's a 81,5x89mm B18C1, 10.0:1, CP (turbo) pistons and ITR head with Skunk2 stage1 Tuner Series cams.
If your tuner is asking you how to degree/check the adjustment on a set of cams/cam gears. I think you should take your car to a different tuner.

Here are a couple articles that are a bit more on point that you can read through.
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...s/viewall.html
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...mshaft_degree/
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
If your tuner is asking you how to degree/check the adjustment on a set of cams/cam gears. I think you should take your car to a different tuner.

Here are a couple articles that are a bit more on point that you can read through.
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...s/viewall.html
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...mshaft_degree/
Thank you for the links! My tuner didn't build my engine so how can he know? As far as I understood finding out the limits of exactly how much the cam gears can be adjusted was a bit of work, so he recommended me to do this myself (if possible) before going to the dyno to save money. He's afraid of piston-valve contact if the cam gears needs to be adjusted by a lot.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

You're welcome

You are correct, he couldn't know. However, he should know how to degree them himself. And now that you mentioned that the tuner already asked you to degree them. That is the answer to your question. "Is there any good way to find this out" Yes, have someone degree them and check the clearances!

Therefore you or someone else will have to degree the cams and measure the piston to valve clearances in order to get the max adv. & ret. timing adjustments your tuner can make.

In order to find out how many degrees you can adjust the cam gears you will have to measure the piston to valve clearances. This will also take some time. Other than doing that you would have to trust what specs people have posted on the internet.

Here is how to check valve clearances, you need to do this for both ends (adv and ret) of the cam gear adjustment.
http://www.c-speedr.com/howto/claymotor/clay.php
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10.1 pistons are dished right? he's concerned about V2P contact on dished pistons? was the block decked and head milled?

prolly limited HP gains (2-10hp maybe) on a turbo setup, you'll see more HP gains from more boost lol...funny but true, i.e. the last thing you'd worry about during tuning is can gears. typically on those gears you can try -2E/+2I cam degrees and see where that puts you vs. baseline 0/0

most of your dyno time should be spent cleaning up the curve and getting early boost/less turbo lag.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is this in an all motor thread?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CHEETAH
10.1 pistons are dished right? he's concerned about V2P contact on dished pistons? was the block decked and head milled?

prolly limited HP gains (2-10hp maybe) on a turbo setup, you'll see more HP gains from more boost lol...funny but true, i.e. the last thing you'd worry about during tuning is can gears. typically on those gears you can try -2E/+2I cam degrees and see where that puts you vs. baseline 0/0

most of your dyno time should be spent cleaning up the curve and getting early boost/less turbo lag.
My motor isn't boosted even thought it's built for it. Head or block isn't milled or decked. The pistons arn't dished, they look like this: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mEhb...LwNWyQ/140.jpg
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Based on my setup, does anyone care to make an educated guess at how much I can safely adjust the cam gears?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pompiuses
. I plan to get the cam gears adjusted, but my tuner said he needed to know how many degrees he can safely adjust the cam gears. Is there any good way to find this out?

remove the cylinder head and measure valve to valve clearance. no special tools required.

then reassemble and measure piston to valve clearance. you will need a degree wheel and dial indicators.

after doing that you may as well also degree the cams to find a good starting point for the dyno.