Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Car Won't Start After Head Gasket Change... Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start After Head Gasket Change... Ideas?

2002 Honda Civic LX 1.7 L engine

I decided to change my own head gasket and timing belt on my wifes car. I did everything "by the book" and when I went to fire it up this morning, it didn't start.

I don't understand what could have went wrong. I followed everything to a T. This morning I tried to start it and it didn't start it just turned over. So I put a tiny spray of starter fluid in the spark plug hole and it just turned over and turned over. Checked compression after trying to start it numerous times and it's exactly 150 on each cylinder. So there is compression and no bent valves. I don't understand what could be wrong. Obviously something probably pretty bad.

In all honesty at this point, probably have to get it towed to a shop and 3 full days of work, sun up to sundown for nothing.

Here's the steps I did (NOT IN ORDER, BUT THINGS I DID ALONG THE WAY)

1. I got the head machined flat, replaced gasket making sure it was seated properly.

2. Ensured that engine was at Top Dead Center while setting timing belt at lower crank with alignment marks on oil pump. Put tension spring on, made sure everything was perfect then pulled the grenade pin.

3. Turned the engine 3 times slowly to make sure there was no problems with the timing. It lined up each time and did not encounter any resistance from the engine.

4. Bolted the head to torque specifications, exactly in 3 steps as required by the manual and set exactly at 49 foot pounds in sequence.

5. Bolted the valve cover to torque specifications. Performed valve adjustment to specifications both on intake and exhaust side. Turned the engine each time to make sure I was on the right stroke.

6. Replaced all labeled vacuum hoses and connectors on intake manifold. There were a few that weren't labeled but I'm 90% sure I got them right as they seeemed to intuitively be bent in certain areas aiming towards certain connections/etc..

Any ideas? or should I just have it towed to a pro?

My goal when I get home after work is to check for spark and run computer diagnostics on it. Also going to check all my connections, but wanted to see if anybody had any more insight?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car Won't Start After Head Gasket Change... Ideas?

always check the basics first. do you have spark and fuel and is everything timed up which you say it is. Once you know the basics, you'll know what direction to head in next.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be as simple as a missing ground strap or an electrical connector not complete engaged.

It does not sound mechanical if you were able to spin the motor over by hand and the timing marks aligned after each rotation.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds exactly like what happens when you mill a k-series head. The electrical timing is off.