Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Brian Crower stage 2 or 3???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Crower stage 2 or 3???

i decided not to go with skunk2 camshafts! i was wanting to know which stage brian crower camshafts i should get for my set up! here is my buiild
ls/vtec:
b18a1 bottom and b16a head

valvetrain: brian crower dual valve springs and steel retainers, blox flat face high compression valves!

bottom end: p30 pistons, stock sleeve and stock bore (11.7:1 compression), stock crank, stock mains and bearings..

miscellaneous: skunk2 intake mani., skunk2 fuel rail, short ram intake, high flow exhaust (full exhaust)..

thank you!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Brian Crower stage 2 or 3???

Curious as to why the no-go on Skunk2s. (Be it personal preference, price, possibility of receiving fakes, bad experience, etc.)

You have skunk2 everything else, so it peaked my interest a bit. I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone has skunk2 cams these days! plus im not going for all out raceing, so i wanted some camshafts with good lift and duration( little above stock), for those days when im late to work or just feel like going for a little fun drive.. and BC is at the right duration i need, so no need to spend outrageous amount of money on another set of camshafts thats not at the specs i want for my build!

and its alright about not answering my question!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none of those, DDTECH cams, or nothing
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats DDTECH? sorry as im a noob when it comes to foreign or unknown cams!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dom93
whats DDTECH? sorry as im a noob when it comes to foreign or unknown cams!
http://ddtechcams.com/

he goes by the user name ALL MOTOR on here
Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Description
Specializing in Honda / Acura Engine Tuning and building.
Authorized tuner for eCtune, Neptune, Cromepro and more..
Also able to tune megasquirt,HPTuners,Trifecta, and MORE!

Custom Camshaft maker for Honda/acura Engines.
They will outperform ANY off the shelf cam, period.
Address
11775 Parkwood Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70815 · Get Directions
Phone
225-384-1441
Website
http://ddtechcams.com/

id give him a call or shoot him a PM if he cant make you a cam to fit your build, he will point you in the right direction
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the brian crower cams aren't that great. doesn't make sense to pass on skunk2s which are proven to make good power just because they're popular.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ive had stage 2 didn make great power very hard to get power from my tuner siad sell them and go buddyclub spec 3 or stage 2 skunk im running kms stage 2 valvetrain package aswell btw if ya set on the go stage 2 made 5hp on the dyno after a change from ctr jdm cams which i still have and think the jdm ctr cam are great also
Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friends ls/vtec had stage 2 brian crower cams and he made an additional 15hp, and him and i have almost identical CR and build..
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont understand sacraficing power just to be different...
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my friends ls/vtec had stage 2 brian crower cams and he made an additional 15hp, and him and i have almost identical CR and build..
Search username "soloDC". You will find your answers on the crower cams.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont want crazy out of the but power! skunk2's would be better suited for someone who street races and etc in my opinion! i just want cams that is right for my setup and nothing higher and nothing lower! and it happen to be brian crower camshafts, they are the right lift and duration i need!

but i do understand where the part "sacrificing power because i want to be different" comes in, and its not even rele even about being different, its what i want my setup to be!

i do thank all of you for the help, if my mind changes i will be sure to post it asap!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IF you already knew what you were going to do, why ask this question? There's literally tons of profiles out there that would better suit your "needs" then brian crowers. BCIII+'s would be a outstanding cam, same with the pro1's, s2s2's, or a m22xx.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would go with stage three but my bottom end is not completely build for that kind of power! i did not know my answer to my own question yet, thats why i posted this thread in this forum.. what are (m2xx)?

but i have been really looking into the skunk2 stage 2 tuner camshafts as they are in my build range! but the price itself is overwhelming to my wallet lol!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BC3(buddy club) is not actually a stage three.
they just started at 3+. they are pretty much what youre looking for.
m22xx are rocket cams. they aren't in production anymore that i know of. but if you can get some or ask ALL MOTOR. he semi took over IIRC.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bcIII+'s aren't a stage 3 cam, they are more or less BC's try at a stage 1/2 cam. Its a popular AutoX cam used by alot of guys who autox and what not. It produces a great amount of low/midrange and does it, without sacrificing the top end.
The s2s2's would ALSO be another choice that would be on the list of cams to get.

The m22xx's are a Rocket Motorsports cam. I still offer rockets older profiles or you can get a customed tweaked version for your setup.. Either way, there are much better cams out there for your setup.

Things you read on the internet, and things told you by someone who actually does this for a living, are two different things. There are better choices for you, Not saying the brian crower cams aren't good, i've just yet to see anything impressive from them.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

info kept in mind!

im not really looking for a high budget build, especially for 500-800 pair of camshafts! but i do realize what your intent is on this thread (to not just jump to one thing and assume its the best, but to scavenge around and see what more is out there).. buddy club, Brian Crower, skunk2 and DDTECH camshafts is what i am choosing between so far! im looking for 1400 to 8400 rpm power range!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had BC stage 2's in my ITR for 2 months. I got it tuned to the sound of 189 hp. I had BC valve springs and retainers and JDM ITR pistons to bump compression slightly, JDM 4-1 header test pipe and rsr exhaust. Granted, I probably didn't have the best supporting mods. Fellow ITR owners were making similar power numbers with ITR cams and bolt-ons on the same dyno.

What ALL MOTOR said about torque is true, they seem to do well in the lower RPMs, but I wasnt impressed at all with them. I got the BC2's thinking I could try something different than everyone else but in hind sight I wish i never wasted the money on them.

I acutally traded them for a set of stock b16 cams for my DD to a friend who then swapped them into his sisters gsr that was built to similar specs as my itr. I believe he said it had pro1s before and it acutally made less power when he swapped in the BC2s. That was my experience with them. There are better options avalible X2.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean i guess i could actually put more thought into this.. i mean skunk2 does have that better lift and duration, and the extra vtec power surge, and they work very well from low all the way to high rpm ranges! and skunk2 is a great option for low to high end power!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM

everyone has skunk2 cams these days! plus im not going for all out raceing, so i wanted some camshafts with good lift and duration( little above stock), for those days when im late to work or just feel like going for a little fun drive.. and BC is at the right duration i need, so no need to spend outrageous amount of money on another set of camshafts thats not at the specs i want for my build!

and its alright about not answering my question!
As long as it works, who cares? the only people that know are if you tell them... But I guess I'm the one who could care less who the fu*k knows what I do to my car, as long as it works well.

I guess i simply just don't trust the Brian Crower line of stuff from so many quality issues over time. Now.. Crower or Web on the other hand,
Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i decided not to go with skunk2 camshafts! i was wanting to know which stage brian crower camshafts i should get for my set up! here is my buiild
ls/vtec:
b18a1 bottom and b16a head

valvetrain: brian crower dual valve springs and steel retainers, blox flat face high compression valves!

bottom end: p30 pistons, stock sleeve and stock bore (11.7:1 compression), stock crank, stock mains and bearings..

miscellaneous: skunk2 intake mani., skunk2 fuel rail, short ram intake, high flow exhaust (full exhaust)..

thank you!

youre going to use whereter you want to use.... but here is some usefull info. "thats what HT is for" on what you are asking.. im saying this from my own personal experience.
i used to have BRIAN CROWER stg3 on my b20 vtec std bore itr pistons etc, etc. then i was recomended to change into s2s3 and heres what happened!
- first graph is with brian crower stage 3
- second is with skunk2 stage3
Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and the ONLY thing i changed was the cams. everything else is the same.. it feels a whole lot better. PS. whatch the tq curve difference
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Interesting indeed..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i can say that im rele impressed! the difference from bran crower to skunk2 is amazing.. i might have to reconsider my decision!

Quick Reply: Brian Crower stage 2 or 3???