Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Big Question: Is it advisable to build a B20Vtec using stock rods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Big Question: Is it advisable to build a B20Vtec using stock rods?

Originally Posted by dpaqu
It's $300 dollars wasted if it's not needed for your build. The only way to know if it's needed is to do it and see if they break. If you don't care to do things cheaply buy the exspensive rods but without testing you don't honestly know that they are better than the stock rods.

Nevermind all that. Google sloppy mechanics. Couple guys have figured out you don't need half the crap everyone thinks you do. It's an paradigm shift. 800hp with a junkyard 4.8L 300k mile engine from a cargo van. gap the rings, reuse everything else, homemade turbo kit, decapped injectors, megasquirt, $300 cam and $300 Chinese turbo and your good for low 9's in a 3k lb car.
​​​​​The engine is now a replaceable part. $300 junkyards everywhere.

Not a Honda but the way those guys share info is to be admired. By pooling knowledge they are all better off and there builds price to performance ratio clearly shows it.
There are 1000's of threads and websites over the past 20 years that have advice on cheap Honda builds. These guys who use junk yard motors and cheap Chinese turbos are doing nothing that millions of others haven't already done.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Personally, I'd run Skunk parts before Brian Crower.

And that's saying something.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know right?

Dave gonna sue my ***.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

inb4 2LEM1 bounty RIP broski
Old 02-27-2017, 01:16 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To be fair, I actually think Skunk makes some decent products, and if you dig up any Skunk bashing threads over the last decade or so, I was always the one sticking up for them. They are one of the few companies to still support our stupid 20 year old grocery getters, and they've created more new products and forged more new paths than any other company I can think of in this industry.

That being said, I have a personal issue with Dave, his attitude, his business practices, his product sourcing, his advertising, and Skunk's overall persona. I personally won't even go so far as to run their fuel rail (which arguably is superior to every other fuel rail available) just on morals. Because, **** Dave, and his cavalier attitude. He would be a nobody without the many backs he stepped on to get where he is.

I was there for Z.Speed
Old 02-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solorex
Story: I have a fully built Endyn B20Vtec that I threw a rod in several years ago. The motor made good power: 236whp 155ftlbs torque, this was with a 2.5" collector and 2" exhaust which I know is choking it. The combination of high oil temps and a mis-shift down the straight at a local track, contributed to me throwing a rod. Looks like the ARP2000 rod bolt let go. Bottom end was Eagle Rods, Wiseco pistons. Block was posted.

I am in the process of rebuilding. After reading numerous posts on here, I have seen a lot of people making good power and reliability with stock rods (w/ ARP bolts) and cast pistons. Clearly a lighter rod/piston combo has an advantage, but in an NA application is rod strength really the issue? I'd rather not fork out the extra $$ for premium rods if it's not necessary. Thoughts?

Car is used for occasional track days, autocrosses and hillclimbs, it's used on the street, but definitely not a daily driver.
If you're going NA, then you will be fine with the OEM rods. They are typically good to the 250-300hp range. Plenty of the old project cars from Sport Compact Car and Honda Tuning magazines had them. Where you get into trouble is if you add more than 300hp. NOS, turbos and superchargers require upgraded internals if not being used at low levels.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your build is what intrigued me to write the post! I was going to go this route, but seems like I'm changing my mind now and going with a Wiseco piston and aftermarket rod. Anyone know if the Brian Crowers are chinese made? Is that why they are cheaper? Seems like they have a good rep though.
Right on man! Like it's been said, it all comes down to assembly. I used a stock crank (micro-polished), stock rods resized w/ ARP bolts (NOT shot-peened), and ACL Race bearings all balanced up to 12k rpm. I used a plasti-gauge and micrometer when assembled and made sure I had clearances in the window I wanted them and took extra care to lube and torque and its seen a full season of 9500-9700 rpm without issues.

I have contemplated going to a forged rod/piston combo ONLY because I want to up the compression another point, not due to any other fact. I am trying to sell the car though so I'll just hold off unless I get the itch to blow money and keep it.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback, getting the quote back from the machine shop today so I will see what kind of damage I am looking at and make the decision. Despite all the discussion I am leaning towards BC Lightweight sportsmans with Wiseco pistons. Compression is 12.5:1. I have an oil cooler now, but this will be seeing high temps and revs during track days just thinking the forged components will add piece of mind and lighten the rotating assembly. Everything will be balanced of course, I am sending out my flywheel, pressure plate to get re-balanced as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, getting the quote back from the machine shop today so I will see what kind of damage I am looking at and make the decision. Despite all the discussion I am leaning towards BC Lightweight sportsmans with Wiseco pistons. Compression is 12.5:1. I have an oil cooler now, but this will be seeing high temps and revs during track days just thinking the forged components will add piece of mind and lighten the rotating assembly. Everything will be balanced of course, I am sending out my flywheel, pressure plate to get re-balanced as well.
Good luck, although you won't see any difference in the BC lightweight sportsmans rods over the OEM. Been tracking for years in the EM1 Civic at over 218whp w/ OEM rods and Wiseco Pistons.

The $300 would be better utilized by getting a better radiator and concentrate on the brakes/tyres over some silly BC "Lightweight rods". But, we all have our path to follow, just perhaps in different ways.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Good luck, although you won't see any difference in the BC lightweight sportsmans rods over the OEM. Been tracking for years in the EM1 Civic at over 218whp w/ OEM rods and Wiseco Pistons.

The $300 would be better utilized by getting a better radiator and concentrate on the brakes/tyres over some silly BC "Lightweight rods". But, we all have our path to follow, just perhaps in different ways.
I'll see what the estimate comes in at... got a good radiator, brakes and tires are done. The car is well sorted I have been racing since 2001. The shop already has the ARP bolts for the stock rods, so its just what I want to pull the trigger on.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:29 PM

I'll see what the estimate comes in at... got a good radiator, brakes and tires are done. The car is well sorted I have been racing since 2001. The shop already has the ARP bolts for the stock rods, so its just what I want to pull the trigger on.
Well, there you go..