Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

all motor advise

Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all motor advise

I will be starting a motor build soon(98 GSR) and would like some advice. It will be rebuild at Canadian cylinder head, and tuned shortly after. looking for 200whp daily driver.

Bottom
New oem bearing, polish crank, stock rods,(maybe ls crank/rods if i can find them) 82mm bore, RS 82mm ITR pistons, ARP all round,
new stage 1 clutch, 12.5 pound flywheel,new oem timing belt/water pump

port and polish < - Will this help, or a waste of money????
port match Skunk2 intake manifold, thermal gasket, supertech valves, stock retainers
Chipped P06 ecu

and need help picking a cam(was think Sk2 pro1s/2s od buddy club 3/3+)
and will i need to upgrade my fuel pump(walbro 255) and TB(65mm or 68) and injectors(rc 310), or will stock work for some?

I also looking to use a JDM ITR 1-4 header and was wondering if i should use 2.25 or 2.5 collector(has to have cat)

thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all motor advise

You will gain horse power in the head flow, so p&p will definitely not be a waste of money just make sure you get a good valve job also.
You must upgrade your fuel pump.
Not sure about the skunk2 vs BC cam comparisons (check the dyno threads for reference and comparisons)
I'd go with a 2.5 collector & exhaust size for a 200whp motor.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by moptrf
I will be starting a motor build soon(98 GSR) and would like some advice. It will be rebuild at Canadian cylinder head, and tuned shortly after. looking for 200whp daily driver.

Bottom
New oem bearing, polish crank, stock rods,(maybe ls crank/rods if i can find them) 82mm bore, RS 82mm ITR pistons, ARP all round,
anyone know what the CR is for the ITR pistons?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by moptrf

Bottom

port and polish < - Will this help, or a waste of money????
port match Skunk2 intake manifold, thermal gasket, supertech valves, stock retainers
Chipped P06 ecu

and need help picking a cam(was think Sk2 pro1s/2s od buddy club 3/3+)
and will i need to upgrade my fuel pump(walbro 255) and TB(65mm or 68) and injectors(rc 310), or will stock work for some?

I also looking to use a JDM ITR 1-4 header and was wondering if i should use 2.25 or 2.5 collector(has to have cat)

thanks
Trev,
Your bottom end parts are decent for a typical street engine build, a port n polish will never be a waste of money if its done correctly,it is one of the most crucial part in making horse power, portmatch, thermal gasket and supertech valve springs are good investments, as you will need the stiffer upgraded valve springs for the higher lift camshafts. As for the camshafts, the skunk2 pro series offers good low-mid range power/tq from the larger primary cam lobes and will still carry your powerband up top, the Rocket m22x or m22xx are also very good choices, as these cams can do just about the same as the skunk2 pro series or even better in some case, you will get mix opinions on camshafts because there are so many, but you cannot go wrong with the 2 cam profiles I mentioned as its been proven in many cases. A Walbro fuel pump is not a bad idea, although a stock gsr pump can do the job for your build, replacing a 12 year old pump again is not a bad idea. A 65mmTB would be ideal for your build imo, but again this is another "u have to dyno tune both and see" thing, as for the 310rc injectors, you will need them, the stock injectors usually maxes out right around 200hp and get a header that has a 2.5" collector you will be glad u did!! Good luck !!

-Kevin