Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Oil Pressure Relief Valve Issue? *SOLVED* Loose oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Relief Valve Issue? *SOLVED* Loose oil filter

1995 Civic EX with JDM B20/LS head. 100k miles. Manual Transmission.

Oil leak at location of oil pan drain bolt and oil filter area.
I only notice it when the engine is cold after running the night before. No leaks seen at idle even after driving for an hour.
My son took it to Walmart about a month ago for an oil change right before he drove it from Florida to North Carolina (my residence). No leaks seen until a few days ago.
I replaced the crush washer but is not the issue. The oil filter (correct one installed) was very loose and seemed to be the source. However, after tightening hand tight and then about a quarter turn with an oil wrench it still has a leak at cool down.

After researching it seems that it might be a stuck-closed oil relief valve. I intend to check oil pressure with a gauge, and test compression this weekend. I checked CEL codes by jumpering the service connector and counting the blinking CEL light. No CEL's.

I'm monitoring the oil filter for looseness or bulging. I have another car so I won't be driving the Civic until I get it solved. Anyone experience this issue?
Old 09-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Issue? *SOLVED* Loose oil filter

I wouldn't worry to much of it's just a few drops. I have had problems with cheap filters leaking from gasket and several uses of crush washer. I am partial to wix filters or oem and copper washers for drain bolt. How often are you adding oil?
Old 09-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Issue? *SOLVED* Loose oil filter

Originally Posted by FloorWhore
I wouldn't worry to much of it's just a few drops. I have had problems with cheap filters leaking from gasket and several uses of crush washer. I am partial to wix filters or oem and copper washers for drain bolt. How often are you adding oil?
Thanks for the reply. Turned out to be a loose oil filter. I didn't install that one and it was pretty loose. I turned it as tight as possible by hand, ran it in idle and a bit of revving and it still leaked. Bought a long plier type of oil filter wrench and tightened it down about 180 degrees past hand tight and it hasn't leaked since.

Most filters I've installed don't leak at hand tight, which makes them easier to remove. My guess is this one might be a bit tough to break loose for the next oil change.
I bought a bag 30 metal crush washers and replaced that nylon washer.

The following users liked this post: