Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

b18c5. Ls crank swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default b18c5. Ls crank swap

so im going to be rebuilding my itr motor soon and started thinking bout swapping in a ls crank. what all would need to be done besides using ls rods also. i have a b20 block im working on selling but if it doesnt sell then ill pull the crank and rods from it and send them off to be balanced and shotpeen the rods and arp rod bolts installed and also run some jdm itr slugs. any opinions on this or should i just stick with rebuilding my bottom end and throwing the jdm itr slugs in
Old 12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: b18c5. Ls crank swap

You would also need to get some oil jet plugs. Golden Eagle makes a kit.

I have never been a fan of "ruining the ITR (B18C5)" and throwing a bunch of different parts in it. The B18C5 is a prestigous motor in my eyes and I like when people preserve that. There were only so many produced and when they are gone, they're gone. Now if it was a GSR or LS block I would be all for it, this is just one of those cases where I will give up power/torque for some genuine honda engineering.

It is your choice though man. I know the LS crank is a "go to" now for torque and better compression numbers. Will this be a race motor or a DD that gets to the track occasionally?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel the same way about that which instead of going crvtec i decided to try and sell the b20 block. the motor will be dd with occassionally being drag at the track. more of a street motor. im leaning more toward going with the jdm itr pistons, buddy club head gasket and new oem bearings. car smokes when i get on it and more so in vtec. the head was cleaned and i had new valve seals put in. just i had the option to use the crank from my b20 block
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Staying all ITR gets my vote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the seafoam soak before you pull the trigger on a rebuild.Sometimes the oil control rings will stick...Unless you want to rebuild it. In that case theres something to be said about a completely stock ITR engine, but then again, while your in there you might as well upgrade a little...I say stroke it...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont mess up an almost perfectly built motor by throwing a low grade ls crank in it. going from 87.2 to 89 stroke isnt worth it. and if for some reason you still put the ls crank in dont use the ls rods and get the oil holes in the ls crank chamfered. the ls crank was never designed to support high rpm's.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a heard a few horror stories on seafoam. mostly motor lock up. i love how my motor feels and how well it pulls in stock form even with a gsr tranny. just dont like how it smokes. im also thinking with cost in mind and only will use oem pistons unless i feel balling enough at the time to go with the spoon balanced jdm pistons. maybe my better route is to stay oem and throw in jdm itr pistons and call it a day
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dc4teg95
i have a heard a few horror stories on seafoam. mostly motor lock up. i love how my motor feels and how well it pulls in stock form even with a gsr tranny. just dont like how it smokes. im also thinking with cost in mind and only will use oem pistons unless i feel balling enough at the time to go with the spoon balanced jdm pistons. maybe my better route is to stay oem and throw in jdm itr pistons and call it a day
Oh wow, really? From adding it to the oil? Or from pouring it in the spark plug hole and letting it seep into the rings?
Cant go wrong with OEM!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
dont mess up an almost perfectly built motor by throwing a low grade ls crank in it. going from 87.2 to 89 stroke isnt worth it. and if for some reason you still put the ls crank in dont use the ls rods and get the oil holes in the ls crank chamfered. the ls crank was never designed to support high rpm's.
Eh, this is still kindof misinformation. I spin my b20 crank to 9k.. most people do. LS/B20 cranks are some of the strongest cranks honda's made for b series..

The " CRANK" itself, is fine.. its being balanced correctly that people forget to do.

If your motor is already built, it'll make it a headache.. to run a ls crank you gotta remove oil squirters, then you gott change rods.. and then you'll need to upgrade rod bolts

On the other hand.. stroking a itr motor is pretty good, you'll gain a good amount of torque and you'll be able to rev just as high.

Sorry 2k.civic, not picking on you. Your right, the LS motor was never designed to rev high, but the crank itself, is fine..
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Eh, this is still kindof misinformation. I spin my b20 crank to 9k.. most people do. LS/B20 cranks are some of the strongest cranks honda's made for b series..

The " CRANK" itself, is fine.. its being balanced correctly that people forget to do.

If your motor is already built, it'll make it a headache.. to run a ls crank you gotta remove oil squirters, then you gott change rods.. and then you'll need to upgrade rod bolts

On the other hand.. stroking a itr motor is pretty good, you'll gain a good amount of torque and you'll be able to rev just as high.

Sorry 2k.civic, not picking on you. Your right, the LS motor was never designed to rev high, but the crank itself, is fine..

ya the crank isnt going to break...i was reffering to the oiling...ive known a few motors with ls cranks to spin bearings...which is why i refferd to having the crank oil openings chamfered.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
ya the crank isnt going to break...i was reffering to the oiling...ive known a few motors with ls cranks to spin bearings...which is why i refferd to having the crank oil openings chamfered.
I had this exact problem with my last turbo motor. GSR w/ LS crank. Spun my bearings 3 different times. Got so irritated I just sold the whole setup and started over.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Staying all ITR gets my vote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If u do go the LS crank route, a old timer once told me to use B16 main bearings instead, they are harder in material and take more abuse than the LS main bearings.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^I had issues with rods not mains.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20vtech
If u do go the LS crank route, a old timer once told me to use B16 main bearings instead, they are harder in material and take more abuse than the LS main bearings.
all the main bearings are the same for b series. as for people spinning rod bearings, what did you guys run for oil clearances?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I think your over using the term "ITR slugs"
Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this exact problem with my last turbo motor. GSR w/ LS crank. Spun my bearings 3 different times. Got so irritated I just sold the whole setup and started over.
to the guys having spun bearing problems, when you were assy. these engines, what were your oil clearances, roundness of the crank journals, rod ends, and main bores? Something out of spec in any of the above can enable a problem. If you didn't check all of these, then I wouldnt think you have enough data to claim a ls crank "spins" bearings at high rpm.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't downgrade a ITR motor with a ls crank and weaker ls rods & bolts
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by b20vtech
Really... I'm on LS and go to 9000 on a regular basis. I'd just measure specifically for each journal and rod. But I do agree.. Use oem.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think im just gonna stay with a rebuild with the jdm spec pistons. i like to keep everything inside stock with the exception of going with the buddy club spec3+ cams and supertech valve springs which is why im opting for the jdm pistons.

as for the seafoam i have only heard of running it through a vaccum line to the manifold.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h2.4
to the guys having spun bearing problems, when you were assy. these engines, what were your oil clearances, roundness of the crank journals, rod ends, and main bores? Something out of spec in any of the above can enable a problem. If you didn't check all of these, then I wouldnt think you have enough data to claim a ls crank "spins" bearings at high rpm.
I had 2 different LS crank. Both micro-polished and checked for roundness. No end play, Plastigauged the journals and all the clearances were in spec. I was tuning it only to 8200 also. I was a baffled and irritated as it gets. Needless to say Im hesitant to put anything but a GSR crank in a GSR. I WANT to build a 2.0 (84mm sleeved block w/ LS/B20 crank) for my next turbo setup, but the fact I had terrible luck previously scares the ***** out of me when I have a $5k block put together.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m_shake
Don't downgrade a ITR motor with a ls crank and weaker ls rods & bolts
Downgrade?? You'd be creating a longer stroke = more power..

Upgrading the rod bolts alone would allow you to rev just as high, if not higher then a itr..

ls rods are strong enough..

this is the exact thing we try to steer away from, mis information.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM

I had 2 different LS crank. Both micro-polished and checked for roundness. No end play, Plastigauged the journals and all the clearances were in spec. I was tuning it only to 8200 also. I was a baffled and irritated as it gets. Needless to say Im hesitant to put anything but a GSR crank in a GSR. I WANT to build a 2.0 (84mm sleeved block w/ LS/B20 crank) for my next turbo setup, but the fact I had terrible luck previously scares the ***** out of me when I have a $5k block put together.

Had i not been as diligent as I was when I did it, I would have completely agreed with you. But the GS-R Block /B20 Crank has been done quite well. you could have had some bum parts in your situation. just make sure those squirters are out, and things will improve. I have done B20 Cranks on Both my projects. couldn't be happier, but of course that is subjective.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just used the Marvel Mystery Oil soak through the spark plug holes. took two tries and it made a HUGE difference to how much my ls vtec smoked in vtec. check in the "misc" thread section and there is a bunch of info. worked great for me.

PS: I say stroke it. I have a b18c1 with ls crank I'm just waiting for my ls vtec to blow before dropping it in.

Quick Reply: b18c5. Ls crank swap