Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

B16A2 dyno problems - VTEC engagement?

Old 04-24-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B16A2 dyno problems - VTEC engagement?

Ok, so here's the deal. I have a 2000 Civic Si(R) with Comptech I/H/E, CTR Cams, ITR valve springs, AEM cam gears, and Hondata s200.

I just recently got the cams, cam gears, and valve springs installed at a local speed shop. Its a speed shop I frequent quite often and have confidence in the work they do. After having had the three different parts installed (cam gears were set to zero on both the intake and exhaust side, as I was going to wait to adjust these on the dyno in tandem with my Hondata tuning and installation a week later on down the road.)

After a quick test drive around the block, all is well, but there is a power lull right when VTEC engages at 5600 RPM up until 6500 RPM. I figured at the time that it was due to my cam gears not having been adjusted so I shruged it off and anxoiusly awaited my dyno tuning.

Fast forward a week. The day prior to my dyno appointment, the shop doing my Hondata install and tuning wanted to check the car to make sure we weren't going to waste any time at the dyno the following day. The guy there takes the car for a test drive and comes back with a pexplexed look on his face. Apparently the exhaust cam gear was off a whole tooth. That equates to roughly 20 degrees from what I understand. So he takes an hour or so to dial everything in and now we're ready for the tommorrow's dyno time. Yay!

The following morning my car was road tuned to set all the parameters for part throttle conditions, so that we could focus on WOT condtions and the A/F ratio that follows. I show up to the dyno a little, so my cars already on the dyno and they've done 2 pulls thus far. I immediately notice a problem with the dyno plot. Not only does the guy tuning Hondata have my VTEC crossover point set to 4800 RPM, but the dyno plot is showing a huge drop off in power right at the VTEC engagement point up until roughly 5800 RPM. The guy tuning my car says not to worry, he's only focusing on A/F right now. Fair enough. I'm not the Hondata authorized dealer so who am I to argue with the chap? To make a long story short, he tried bumping the VTEC crossover point up to 5300 RPM but for whatever reason (most likely operator error) the A/F mixture went all to hell. We did a couple more dyno pulls, but nothing got solved, and we eventually ran out of time.

So as it stands now, this is the dyno plot of my car:

Notice a problem? The cam gears are currently set at +3 on the intake side, and -2 on the exhaust side. My question to you guys is, WTF do i do now? How do I fix this mess? Because this is the same loss of power sensation I was experiencing prior to getting my car "partially" ******* tuned, I don't know what to think.

HELP!?
Old 04-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B16A2 dyno problems - VTEC engagement? (SiRGodfather)

VTEC should be at least 5,600. You hit the big lobes too early, and surprise! big dip in power. Raise VTEC and get the A/F tuned properly. There are also a few ponies to be had in fine tuning the ignition timing maps. Sounds like your tuner ran out of time and left you with a half-assed tune
Old 04-24-2004, 05:47 PM
HT Black Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16A2 dyno problems - VTEC engagement? (b19coupe)

It's comon for bigger cams to not make power until higher in the RPM band, My skunk2 Stage2 are set @ 6000rpms...As far as your Air/fuel ratio goes hmm sounds like either a bad sniffer on the dyno or are you by chance not running a cat?

I would definatly move your vtec crossover to around 6k, you primary lodes seem to be still gaining hp and no where near leveling off @ it's current 4800rpm cross over point, and then you also wouldn't have that big low spot right after then engaugement..
Old 04-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like you need an experienced tuner. with those cams in your car your gonna need to raise ur vtec point to about 5800-6000 to take advantage of the cams and not get a dip.

numbers arent bad for being "tuned"
Old 04-25-2004, 03:06 PM

yea dude, it looks like you ned more tunning. When I dynoed my civic-B16A Sir2-I,H,E and chipped p28. I put down 158 hp@ 7800 rpm and 110 tq@ 7500 rpm. By the way I like how rage performance does there dyno setup
Old 04-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Re: B16A2 dyno problems - VTEC engagement? (95VXB16A)

those are very good numbers for what you have.That tuner definately knows what he is doing,Find a proper dyno and reposition the crossover point ,then see how it looks.158 hp and 112 tq awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember to compare your setup with a similar one.