Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

b16 replaceing LMA have few questions

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 replaceing LMA have few questions

so i have a b16 and my LMAs are making noise. so my buddy is going to replace them this weekend with skunk 2 new lmas and want to know since he is doing that what seals should i have his replace while he is at it???? crank and cam seals???? distributer seal??? please let me know every thing i should do since we are this far already
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b16 replaceing LMA have few questions

Well first off go with Honda OEM spring style LMA they are the best way to go but SK2 will work just fine I just like OEM parts. I run the H22 LMA and have no issues. Next you will have to replace the valve cover gasket and if any other gaskets or seals are leaking then replace those as well. If you are removing the dizzy the get a new O ring from Honda. You can cheat the old LMA out and the new ones in by loosening the cam caps but not totally removing them, this give you enough room to remove the LMA.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

let us know if the skunk2 ones fit snugly in the spot in the head. the prelude ones i have wiggled around a bit and i wasnt sure if they are all like that.

as for gaskets: valvecover, dist o ring and if you take the camcaps off id replace the cam seals as well. if you wind up taking out the rockers, then u need a vtec solenoid gasket. those things seem to leak along with the cam plug behind it so this is a great time to get new ones in there
Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it is normal for them to wiggle a little. All Honda did went they updated the LMA on the B series was take the H22 LMA and added the needed .040 shim as a press in spacer. All SK2 did take the already widley used H22 LMA mod and made there own springs.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
You can cheat the old LMA out and the new ones in by loosening the cam caps but not totally removing them, this give you enough room to remove the LMA.
That is good information, Thank you!

OP-Dont forget the spark plug tube seals when you get the vc gaskets, and definitely the distributor o-ring and vTaak y0 solenoid!!
And if your cam seals even look like they might even think about leaking, get em too.

brake cleaner, clean rags, and a small amount of hondabond/sealant/rtv..
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
Well first off go with Honda OEM spring style LMA they are the best way to go but SK2 will work just fine I just like OEM parts. I run the H22 LMA and have no issues. Next you will have to replace the valve cover gasket and if any other gaskets or seals are leaking then replace those as well. If you are removing the dizzy the get a new O ring from Honda. You can cheat the old LMA out and the new ones in by loosening the cam caps but not totally removing them, this give you enough room to remove the LMA.
How do you loosen the cam cap to remove the lma when it's located under the rocker?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing by loosening the cam caps, you are letting the camshaft rise up just a little bit..
but that little bit is just enough to let the rockers pivot up high enough to sneak the LMA outta there...
I'd try to keep it as even as possible so as not to stress the camshaft.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
Im guessing by loosening the cam caps, you are letting the camshaft rise up just a little bit..
but that little bit is just enough to let the rockers pivot up high enough to sneak the LMA outta there...
I'd try to keep it as even as possible so as not to stress the camshaft.
yeah id be real careful doing that kind of stuff. why not just take the caps out. all its gonna cost you is a bit of rtv on the corners of the end caps and some time on the tq wrench at 12 and then 20 ftlbs. i say be careful because wayy back in my early honda days i broke an oem gsr cam by not following the stock tq specs and sequence
Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by projectTeG
How do you loosen the cam cap to remove the lma when it's located under the rocker?
You have to have the cams loose enough to be about to move the rocker arms out of the way, by loosening the cam caps this gives you enough spece to do so. If you are good you wont even have to remove the timing belt.