All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

96 Accord, did timing belt on #4 TDC DUH

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Accord, did timing belt on #4 TDC DUH

Totally stupid, I know better.

Am currently replacing timing belt, 1996 accord standard 2.2 motor, no issues just preventative maintenance. Have worked on all my hondas/acuras and skill level is pretty good. Very meticulous and oh so slow. Lots of pics. Everything match-marked, by the book. I'm in no rush.

One problem however, my atrocious penmanship. My 4's look very similiar to my 1's at different angles. You know where this is heading lol.

So started this the other night, knowing I need to get 1 TDC compress. stroke yadda yadda, but for some reason, failed to note the camshaft UP mark in the midst of all this. (? Duh). I think because I was doing the lineup with upper timing belt cover on, so all I had were the two notches on the sprocket which were aligned with the head.

However, after having the damper white mark at the v-notch, and seeing the #1 piston at the top of chamber, and noting the rotor pointed towards my mark of #1 on dist. cap, and with a pin inserted into balancer hole in rear of engine, and white paint marker match marks on sprockets vs. belts, proceeded with tear down. (not noting the camshaft UP was 180 out). You can see where this is heading.

Now I have everything off and am putting new water pump in, when I see the UP mark facing down. Red flag warning. I consult my tons of pics taken prior to, and double check the wiring and figure out that I had mistaken my 4, for the 1 on the cap. In essence, it appears to be 180 out, nothing disturbed since initial breakdown.

I transfered my white match-marks on old belt, on to new belt, which will match onto the sprockets so it goes back exact same as old one.

So the question is, does it really matter if I'm doing this on 4 TDC? I was able to get the "holder bolt" in 74 mm into the balancer access hole at rear of engine, the other sprockets all appear to be pointed at their proper spots, the camshaft sprocket notches are aligned with the head, the white damper TDC mark is where it's supposed to be. I don't see any issue here, but will go through a couple engine rotations by hand prior to start up to ensure nothing is in a bind. Thoughts anyone??? Next thing on list is penmanship classes lol. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 96 Accord, did timing belt on #4 TDC DUH

Well, posted this on two diff. message boards and no answers, so put my wits on it, and went for it, the matchmarks saved the day for sure. After rotating the engine numerous times by hand prior to reassembly, was confident enough to put it all back together and go for it.

Fired up first shot, purred like a kitten, didn't even have to adjust the timing.

This means I lucked out doing it on #4, since it was 180 out of rotation on the rotor, everything else (camshaft sprocket, balancer sprocket etc.) was 360 out, so all those marks lined up just like it was on #1. Maybe this will help someone someday, but suffice it to say, just because the manual says "do it all on 1 tdc compression stroke" doesn't mean it can't be done another way. Logic wins every time.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 Accord, did timing belt on #4 TDC DUH