Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

TSX LOUD rattling noise at stop in R or D

Old 09-29-2015, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TSX LOUD rattling noise at stop in R or D <SOLVED!!!!>

This apparently is a common TSX problem and the issue has been brought up in other threads on another forum but there has never been a stated solution/fix to this problem.

Recently I started hearing a slight rattling sound from the engine when the vehicle was sitting at a stop light. Over the last few months it has gotten gradually worse to the point of being extremely loud while sitting at a stop in any drive gear. No CEL or any other noticeable issue, car runs fine.

The vehicle has an automatic transmission. The rattling only occurs while the vehicle is in Drive or Reverse and sitting at idle or extremely slow speeds. Once the vehicle starts moving, it goes away. There is no rattling when I shift into park or neutral. Other than that, the vehicle drives great. No problems whatsoever.

Over the last year or 2 I did an accessory belt tensioner, AC compressor, alternator and this past weekend I figured it was def the tensioner but why not do chain, guides and tensioner at the same time. Threw it all in yesterday and the old chain was definitely stretched about 1/4 to 1/2 a link and it was definitely a bit quieter with all the new parts but the same noise still presented itself.

We broke out the stethoscope and tried to pin point the sound. I popped off the acc belt and the noise wasn't there, even in Drive gears but that was probably due to removing load from the situation.

Only thing it could be now is the oil pump tensioner or chain but sucks because I have to take the timing cover off again if it is the oil pump chain.

Anyway, since this problem seems so common, I figured someone else may have come across this in their car. Tons of threads across the web but no mention on any concrete fix or cause.

###########EDIT#####SOLVED#############

Hopefully this can help someone else out in the future:

Well I am happy to say I fixed my issue last night and hopefully can provide some help/insight for others with similar issue.

The balance shaft tensioner failed, the plastic guide portion broke in half and was no longer putting tension on the chain, causing it to flop around.

I'm glad it didn't jump timing or the chain didn't fly off.

I didn't realize how terrible the oil pan would be to drop, why the hell couldn't they engineer it a little better to drop right out.
Luckily I went to my buddies shop and we just unbolted the pass side mount and the front mount. Put the car on the lift and used 2 screw jacks to jack the motor up so we could clearly drop the pan out.

Last edited by Mattb16teg; 10-08-2015 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TSX LOUD rattling noise at stop in R or D

Nothing? No one?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the noise change when the a/c is on or off? I know you said you changed the tensioner already, but I've had these fail prematurely before. There should be a notch on the tensioner with a pointer. Check and see if it is still within range. If you have a second person maybe have one person fluctuate the throttle and watch for movement to match the rattle. I rarely have to replace chains and usually when they stretch enough they throw cmp codes
Old 09-30-2015, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMH22HATCH
Does the noise change when the a/c is on or off? I know you said you changed the tensioner already, but I've had these fail prematurely before. There should be a notch on the tensioner with a pointer. Check and see if it is still within range. If you have a second person maybe have one person fluctuate the throttle and watch for movement to match the rattle. I rarely have to replace chains and usually when they stretch enough they throw cmp codes
Eh tough to say if the AC makes it worse. At first it seemed like it but that could have been due to the added load. Now it's pretty much at idle with the AC off, things such as turning the wheel make it worse.

The tensioner is only about 8 months old, I was thinking that could be the issue but I had a friend put tension on it with a breaker bar and it didn't really make the sound go away.
But when I did take the accessory belt off there was no noise but I did attribute that to removing load from the situation.

I'll check to see if it's still within spec, I dont know how that slipped my mind.

The chain was stretched a bit and it was only a few hours work and $280 for parts. I did order balance shaft tensioner and will drop the pan later this weekend to see what's up there.

I may pop the accessory belt tensioner off and take it back and get a new one and see if that helps.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely sounds like the belt tensioner from what you've described. Maybe take a long screwdriver and probe around to see if you can pinpoint the sound
Old 10-05-2015, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely sounds like the belt tensioner from what you've described. Maybe take a long screwdriver and probe around to see if you can pinpoint the sound
Put a new one on yesterday and no change in noise.

Going to drop the oil pan tomorrow night at my buddies shop to check out balance shaft tensioner and replace if needed and see if anything else is going on.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I am happy to say I fixed my issue last night and hopefully can provide some help/insight for others with similar issue.

The balance shaft tensioner failed, the plastic guide portion broke in half and was no longer putting tension on the chain, causing it to flop around.

I'm glad it didn't jump timing or the chain didn't fly off.

I didn't realize how terrible the oil pan would be to drop, why the hell couldn't they engineer it a little better to drop right out.
Luckily I went to my buddies shop and we just unbolted the pass side mount and the front mount. Put the car on the lift and used 2 screw jacks to jack the motor up so we could clearly drop the pan out.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for updating. Haven't seen this happen before. And yeah dropping those pans are a pain.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, that seems to be the general consensus, my buddy who worked at Honda for years and builds K Series motors left and right said he has never had, nor seen an issue with one either.

Wish I would have gotten pictures but was so annoyed with the oil pan I just wanted to knock this out.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I've been at Honda for a long time and do a lot of the heavy line stuff. I haven't had one either. I guess one more thing to keep in mind when doing diag on some of these noise concern cars
Old 10-14-2015, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I've been at Honda for a long time and do a lot of the heavy line stuff. I haven't had one either. I guess one more thing to keep in mind when doing diag on some of these noise concern cars
Yea, so after a while it was pretty evident that it was a chain issue due to the noise, tough to explain but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say.

I'm not even going to begin to try and explain a noise hahaha.

Just glad nothing worse happened.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

just want to say thanks for going back to tell us the real solution.

my engine is making horrible noises. thought it was the timing chain, tensioner etc. didn't realize there was an oil pump chain, and tensioner that is on a separate sprocket. im pretty sure that's the real problem and not the timing chain which would be more expensive overall to change.

and it makes sense that it would fail since I have on recent occasion run low on oil (my engine burns a lot...) and I just got an oil change. no check engine light so no sensors being tripped. pump must be pumping, but chain and tensioner probably no good. and looks easier to repair. just messy dropping the oil pan...

We'll good news bad news, it's nothing to do with a chain, it's my AC compressor making all the noise. Sigh. Nevermind. But at least I learned more about the timing chain and oil pump.

Last edited by Tyson; 02-21-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
just want to say thanks for going back to tell us the real solution.

my engine is making horrible noises. thought it was the timing chain, tensioner etc. didn't realize there was an oil pump chain, and tensioner that is on a separate sprocket. im pretty sure that's the real problem and not the timing chain which would be more expensive overall to change.
and it makes sense that it would fail since I have on recent occasion run low on oil (my engine burns a lot...) and I just got an oil change. no check engine light so no sensors being tripped. pump must be pumping, but chain and tensioner probably no good. and looks easier to repair. just messy dropping the oil pan...
We'll good news bad news, it's nothing to do with a chain, it's my AC compressor making all the noise. Sigh. Nevermind. But at least I learned more about the timing chain and oil pump.

Forgot I had a subscription to this thread but glad I could help as this appears to be an uncommon issue for sure.

Mine never burned oil or ran low, so nailing down a real reason would be tough to pinpoint, maybe just cheap plastic(Which is used for the chain guide).

Glad to see it was nothing serious for your case!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just my observation!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Trial User

Old 12-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Trial User

Icon7 Re: TSX LOUD rattling noise at stop in R or D

this is what i was able to find!

Old 04-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Trial User

@Mattb16teg i'm having the same issue with my 06 Tsx Auto, i got all the parts ready to go to do the job. The only thing i have ran in to is how i'm i going to hold the engine in place when i take the side Engine mount and oil pan off, i don't got a Lift so i'll be doing it on the ground with jack stands ect. Could you give me a few suggestions on how i could hold the engine up while i do this. Highly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 06tsxArticblue
@Mattb16teg i'm having the same issue with my 06 Tsx Auto, i got all the parts ready to go to do the job. The only thing i have ran in to is how i'm i going to hold the engine in place when i take the side Engine mount and oil pan off, i don't got a Lift so i'll be doing it on the ground with jack stands ect. Could you give me a few suggestions on how i could hold the engine up while i do this. Highly appreciated.

Glad I could be of some help for others!

I did it at my buddies ship so we had a lift and a screw jack was used to hold the Trans side up to drop the motor a bit to get it done.

Guess you could do the same, maybe pull the car on some ramps and use a floor jack to Maneuver the motor around once you take the mount off.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 10:00 AM
Trial User

Spoiler

@Mattb16teg i'll be doing the Time chain job as well.. thank you for the fast reply, and for the information you put up it has helped alot 👍💪. What was the hardest part on the whole job that you ran in to that i might run in to also, so it won't catch me by surprise.