Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION

I can see a lot of you are having issues... Here is the resolution.

Hawk HPS front brake pads.

Make sure that rotors are re-surfaced or replaced if your brakes are vibrating already, before putting new pads on.

Reason for the issue is that stock pad material does not generate enough friction and to produce the braking effect increased force is required, resulting in higher rotor temp.
Add some draging on the brakes, with waiting at the stop light (brakes applied) and rotors heat soak and warp.

HPS pads give TSX some real brakes, and car actually feels like stock, but it actually stops.

My story is that my gf has TSX over a year now, and she had to address rotor issue 3 times in 6 months. Acura started to complain and suggest that we are abusing the brakes. Her car is MT so she tried to downshift more, and offload the brakes, no change, warpped rotors.
Anyway, I simply hated driving TSX every time I drove the car it felt like it can not stop even when brakes were not pulsing. Car always "pushed" forward, I never felt this in any other car but TSX.

I had Acura put new front rotors under warranty, took the car home and installed Hawk pads. 6 months later 10 K miles later, I enjoy driving the car, and 0 brake issues. No extra effort required, excellent feel, no noise, slightly more dust and all for $100.

Nino
Old 11-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION (ninor)

i have 4k miles on mine and was just starting to notice that....i have the man. tranny to so its no so hard on the brakes. I was wondering if it was just me or what but i guess not. I work at honda gona bring one of our senior tech's out with me in the car and see what he says. Ill bring it back down to Acura and see what they say as well.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:07 AM

damn, this TSX prob sounds exactly like what i had with my first car, a 97 accord se. It drove me ******* nuts. Braking was horrible! I knew there was something wrong with the damn car. Thing vibrated like a bitch. Had the brakes and rotors replaced countless of times. From that point, i hated accords.

I can't believe honda's are still have these brake problems.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION (BallHawk3)

the new 04-05 accord brakes are sweet..no problems and stop on a dime....
Old 11-25-2004, 06:25 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This issue seems to appear on a number of modern Honda designs.

A friend has replaced his EP3 rotors twice, but I have 50,000 miles on my original ones.

The only difference is that he's using OEM brake pads and I switched to Cobalt Friction as soon as I got the car.

The original poster seems pretty sure that it really is rotor warping, but on looking at my acquaintance's rotors both times they were replaced, it really didn't look like any kind of heat damage...and I've seen lots of heat damage to know what it looks like.

I don't mean to be contradicting you directly...that's just not what it looked like in his case.

What it <u>did</u> look like, on seeing his second set of rotors come off the car, is that there is a weirdly excessive amount of brake material transfer to the rotors, which would cause a vibration similar to heat warping.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
.RJ

Default Re: TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> there is a weirdly excessive amount of brake material transfer to the rotors, which would cause a vibration similar to heat warping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with GK on this one.

RJ - needs to order carbotech pads for the new car
Old 11-26-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Re: TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION (.RJ)

Agreed with George as well. Very little brakes warp on the street. It's mostly pad material unevenly distributed on the rotor.

You can prevent this, amongst other things by:

- Breaking in your brakes properly

- Releasing your brakes at a stoplight slightly before the wheels are completely at a stop

- Not using your e-brake while the rotors are scorching hot; it could prevent even cooling.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:41 PM
john d

Default Re: TSX brake vibration issue RESOLUTION (sauceman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Agreed with George as well. Very little brakes warp on the street. It's mostly pad material unevenly distributed on the rotor.

You can prevent this, amongst other things by:

- Breaking in your brakes properly

- Releasing your brakes at a stoplight slightly before the wheels are completely at a stop

- Not using your e-brake while the rotors are scorching hot; it could prevent even cooling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-03-2004, 05:39 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone notice there TSX needs a lot of braking distance?

My girlfriends TSX [11k] has had this problem since she bought it. I didn't think much of it at first but its getting annoying... and NO i don't mean during 100mph braking. I'm talking about regular traffic.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

Stock pads are the problem. Try replacing with something else ( I used Hawk HPS)you will be amazed at the results.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: (ninor)

Has anyone tried the Axxis Ultimate pads on their TSX?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (TodaSi)

I've had a TSX loaner car for almost 2 weeks and when I first picked up the car it had a vibration under braking. It occured mostly when stopping from freeway speeds, but it was also noticable under hard braking.

I rebed in the factory pads the second day with the car and I have not had any more issues of vibration. My guess is that people are not properly bed in the pads when they receive the car. I also beleive that it should not happen in the first place, as most cars do not have any issues with factory pads. But if I owned the car, I would probably replace the OEM pads soon, as I do not like the bite characteristics.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:24 AM
New User

Default Re: (StageOne)

Please let us know exactly how you did this "rebed" of the brakes?

Sounds like something that somebody with this problem should try first before panicking and multiple dealer visits.