Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

Car only starts on second attempt

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car only starts on second attempt

I have done some searches online and there was a fairly old thread about this topic which at the end asking the next user to start a new thread?https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-time-2071937/

I actually have a 2003 JDM CL7 here in HK. It has about 88K km, just bought it off this guy and the car starts fine every time when I meet the guy to look at the car, but of course once I bought it and had it overnight and the next morning it wouldn't start on the first attempt but it did on the second. As mentioned above, did some searching and one of the H-T homie here mentioned, if you prime the fuel pump first (turn the key to II, then reset and turn the key all the way) then it will start just fine. This only happens to the very first start of the day. When I go out to different places, after lunch , after dinner is all fine.

Basically, my situation is pretty much the same as this homie:

This is my thoughts on fuel pressure regulator. I can prime it as much as I want still no start on the first try. Second try it fires up like it should. Mine is temperature dependent, summer months its fine. Its only when its colder. Back to my theory. The fuel pressure regulator works on vacuum, well, there is zero vacuum without the motor turning over. So once the motor turns over a couple times it creates enough vacuum for the fuel pressure regulator to do its thing. Hence why it start flawlessly the 2nd attempt. The seal on mine must shrink just enough to not seal in the cold and lose it over night. During the day the engine holds temp long enough and sitting in the sun must be enough to expand that seal. Once I find my fuel pressure gauge I will know soon enough. Diagnose. Especially on a car with 250k miles and it still starts.

Three questions I would like ask...

- Would this be the "fuel pump" issue? or the "fuel pressure regulator" issue?
- Can I just keep on starting the car using the "second attempt" or will things get worst eventually and won't start at all in winters or colder starts?
- How much does it cost to replace the Fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator? Has anyone do it to their TSX?

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2016, 05:51 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car only starts on second attempt

I would check the fuel pressure by the injectors when the fuel pump primes to get an idea. Maybe the fuel pump or pressure regulator has an issue.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car only starts on second attempt

Just a quick update for anyone who might encounter the same problem later.
I have replaced fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator and it starts fine now.