Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

2006 TSX A/C Clutch Coil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 2006 TSX A/C Clutch Coil replacement

This is somewhat more of an informational post. I do have one question to anyone else who has attempted servicing the AC compressor in a 1st gen TSX.

So recently on a hot day my AC stopped working. It wasnt my relay, i really wish it was since its only a $5 part. I had plenty of refrigerant in the system. Turns out it was my AC clutch coil that was the problem and needed to be replaced. This was after following the factory service manual troubleshooting myself, and getting a quote from the dealer.

Including a new clutch coil (which is cheap) and clutch (not cheap, includes a new pulley too) the dealer wanted $850. Another shop wanted $650.

I chose to buy the parts myself and do it myself.

DAMN THIS WAS HARD. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT YOURSELF. minus the cost of the parts, the labor was really only about $300 for the other shop to do it, which I trust and call the owner a friend. I could have saved my saturday for doing whatever else i wanted to do instead....

and if you DO, expect to just break the AC lines open and take the compressor out. it was MUCH easier to deal with the snap rings with the compressor outside of the vehicle and maybe it was physically possible, i did not find it worth the effort to pull the bearing of the pulley out with the compressor still loose inside the engine bay. good thing the dealer was still open so that i could get the replacement o-rings.

So my question is to anyone else if they tried, did you also have to take the compressor out?

also, i recommend a full service by an AC professional afterwards. i used auto-store refill and found that not only was there excessive air trapped inside, no surprise and its bad because it means theres moisture to corrode inside the system, and that i could not/did not fill it up to its proper capacity. even tho it did work, it was much better after the pro service. i never want to have to work on the AC system again, so its worth the money in the long run.