UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help! - Honda-Tech

UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!

Old 03-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!

Hello all
So fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I am the owner of a UA6. The way how I ended up with the car sucks (had my last vehicle stolen and totaled) but I'm looking forward.

In any event, for the past 3 days I've been searching online for solutions to replace/upgrade my suspension on this UA6. Either I'm not searching properly, the information is a big secret for some reason, or the information is buried somewhere where I can't find it, so any of your guys' help is appreciated.

I know there are plenty of full kits (TEIN, F&f, Megan, etc) that come with shocks and springs to bolt on to the UA6. This may be a route I have no choice going.
But, on all my past hondas, I easily (with the proper information) pieced together a great suspension for a fraction of what I would have paid for a premade kit, and they all have performed amazingly. I know someone must have done this for a UA6 sucessfully...

Here's what I already know...
1. I'm going to change front upper control arms. Either new base or preferably Type S. This combined with new struts/shocks and springs has refreshed the ride of my last 3 cars.
2. I'm keeping OEM wheels, and have decided on a 245 45 17 tire. Pretty sure the TL OEM wheels are 17x8, these tires should ride nicely and fit good in the well. I'll be looking to a UHP all season or UHP spring/summer tire...
3. I definitely want to be "low", just not crazy dumped. Looking for 1 finger gap up front and 2 finger gap in back

Here's what I need to know...
1. What is the inner diameter of OEM ua6 springs?
2. What is the stock spring rate (lbs or kgs, doesn't matter) on a UA6? Front, rear, or both rates if anyone has them.
3. Has anyone else pieced a suspension kit together instead of going with a full kit?
3a. If so - what spring rates and more importantly what spring HEIGHT have you gone with? I know the ua6 is MAX 345lbs heavier than my last honda, and as such, already have a spring rate in mind.
4. Using adjustable collars? What diameter?
5. Anyone using front upper strut bar? Making a difference? It made a HUGE difference in traffic on my last two cars...

If you have answers to any of these, will be appreciated.

Summit has springs at every rate and every height you could possibly need. Even if the shocks I choose dont have adjustable damping, I'm sure I'll still be happy with the ride vs how it is now. I think the previous owner cut the stock springs as my car seems much lower than a stock car should be. Or the shocks are blown....either way doesn't matter much as I plan to change them out.

I'm really looking forward to all the new stuff on this car, it's PLENTY fast as I'm coming from almost all b series cars...this J is great and thats stock...cant wait to throw some upgrades on it.
Thanks guys
KPDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!

Well about the only thing I can help you with on your list of need to know is these cars came stock with a pretty hefty front upper strut bar, the RV6 bar (possibly some other brands out there) is for the people running coilovers with adjustable dampening, the stock brace covers the adjustment ****, while the RV6 one is open.

From the research I have done for suspension, there really isn't much info for pieced together set ups. Most people run Tein's because they are decently price and work well on these cars. I personally am still 100% stock on my 05 base (my 99 Em1 is my play toy). I will say compared to other acura/honda platforms the TL is a more expensive car to upgrade, less people make parts for them, so not a lot of choices.

Your best bet if you haven't already is to check out the big acura forum and if you have facebook there is a decent size group on their for the 04-08 TL's that has a lot of good info.
1999 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for answering - I'm going to start with an OEM front upper strut bar (my car doesnt have one right now). I wouldn't mind taking the bar off to make adjustments if thats what ended up happening.

I know right!? There's no information on how to build a coilover setup, but it has to be possible, because all the kits I keep getting referred to are nothing but shocks, sleeves, and springs. I don't know - maybe nobodies responded about it because TL owners don't mind spending the extra coin on a full setup? Even the people I've seen with shocks and springs, none of them have adjustable collars to change the height...I dont understand it...that was the best part of the last setup, the ability to set the height where you want it with the springs you want.

I've checked on AZ, and everyone there either has shocks and springs no collars or full 1pc coilovers. I haven't seen one person just yet with shocks springs and collars.

When I get a chance(if I don't get anyone with an answer soon), I'll get my car jacked up and pull one of the shock/spring out. I have a 2.5 spring around here somewhere, so if it looks like 2.5 diameter springs will work I'll start ordering stuff and get this done. I really think it should work, and even the GC coilover conversion kit for UA6 (Ground Control - Coilover Conversion kit, 03-07 Honda Accord/ 04-08 Acura TSX / TL) looks EXACTLY the same as what I want to build.

Summit has any spring rate diameter height you could possibly want, and I've had good success with them.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
#1 Super Guy

On my 05 TL 6MT I went with Neuspeed sport springs when they were on sale on their site for $125 shipped. I also got Truhart shortened sport shocks for about $180 shipped from Tunersports.com (they always have a Truhart coupon). Beyond that the only thing I recommend is a rear camber kit. I went with Truhart for TH-H212 which is really made by Hardrace. I think I picked that up for about $130 shipped on Amazon but their prices always fluctuate. My camber is now set at -1*F (stock front arms) and -0.8*R. You can see my review and images on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

With this combo the ride height is down less than a 1 finger gap on the stock 235/45r17 tires and I'm super happy with it. The ride quality was only a little lost over stock, but there was a random banging from the rear over sharp bumps. It turned out to be the rear coils. A pair of plastic spring sleeves from Eibach solved the problem (part# UB0205-5 $3 each). This covers one full coil where the spring transitions from loose to tight coils. No more rough sound.

Here is a pic of some eibachs with the sleeves pre-installed so you get the idea:
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

Eg - thanks!

I may go that route as my car needs this stuff asap. No complaints on the shocks eh? If my taxes come back nice I may just get the full tru hart coilovers, else I'll try the combo you're suggesting. The ride height you described sounds perfect. I will definitely grab a camber kit either way for the back. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll also grab those spring sleeves. And going to change my front control arms when I do the fronts.

did you need spring compressor to do yours? I'll be doing a lot of repairs/upgrades at once and want to make sure I have all the tools. When using coilovers previously a spring compressor wasnt needed because I could adjust the collar down.

Also, I'm thinking of using 245 45 17...you think they would rub/require fender roll?

thanks for reply!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
#1 Super Guy

A spring compressor was absolutely needed for my setup. The TL lowering springs are loooong and relatively soft. Then throw in shorter than stock shocks, and you are in for a treat. My spring compressor was absolutely maxed (extension and compression) out doing this job. The rears were straight forward, but the fronts I still had to push down on the hats with all my weight just so a friend could start the lock-nut for me. Of course I was using new OEM hat-bushings which was causing part of the problem.

No complaints on the shocks other than the rears have a lame bushing in them. I bought Honda bushings later, but will probably never have a chance at attempting to press them. I do get a rubber sounding squeak from the left rear over curbs. Not sure if it's the bushing, cause I never had time to look into it. I would have to take the rear seat out again to check it out.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
#1 Super Guy

BTW: Truharts sport shocks have a lifetime warranty. Their coilovers do not.