Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

transmission interchangeabilty

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 transmission interchangeabilty

own a 2003 Acura TL 3.2 with j32a1 motor and B7WA transmission.

Will a transmission from a 2002 honda accord/ mini van j30a with trans code MGSA. bolt up to to my Acura TL? Looks like they share the same engine block. The guy I bought it from says they interchange and wire up, plug n play.?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission interchangeabilty

Does anyone know?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: transmission interchangeabilty

general rule was all same series are interchangeable...so J series engine with J series transmission...there are also 4wd transmissions too but I think some of the electronic sensors could be different. I'm trying to see if I can put a 2009 Pilot transmission in my 2006 RL etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: transmission interchangeabilty

Okay, well I've been working off and on to get this transmission installed. Couple of things someone should know if your going to be using this transmission as a replacement for the original that came on the 2003 Acura TL 3.2L

1. all sensors seem to be plug and play and no surprises there.

2. the MSGA transmission does not have a provision for the Acura TL power steering speed sensor. (If you have the type-S model, this wont be a problem because the TL type-s model does not have this sensor) Also, this sensor is mechanical and the only way to add it to the transmission is to tear it down and install the necessary components. In order for you to use it.

note: I had to bypass these ports on the power steering lines. Since the MSGA transmission does not have this sensor. All I did was jumper the two ports with a piece of rubber tubing. I don't know if this is good for the power steering pump in the long run. According to the oem fsm jumping these ports is ok and your power steering will still function. Just wont have speed sensitive steering anymore. which I don't need anyway.

another alternative would be to cap those ports off. I had difficulty find something i could use to cap it with. Until then i guess the hose jumper will get me back on the road.

3. the drive plate/torque convertor is smaller in diameter for the MSGA transmission. If you keep your original Acura Tl drive plate it will not bolt up.. You have to use the drive plate and torque convertor from the B7WA transmission.

yup. i had the transmission bolted up went to install the drive plate bolts and non of them lined up because the drive plate and torque convertor on the MSGA transmission was smaller. =/

2. The transmission oil warmer also needed to be swapped over from the original transmission. for some reason the B7WA transmission warmer (round silver thing on top the transmission housing) used one big and one small diameter hose ports, and the MSGA used 2 large diameter hose ports..

3. The transmission bolts right up to the original motor. no worries there.