Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Taking the 05 TL to the dealer tomorrow for 3rd gear...have a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the 05 TL to the dealer tomorrow for 3rd gear...have a question

Well my girlfriend wanted to get out of her integra and was looking for a txs, tl or civic SI. She decided on a TL, after looking at a few she settled on one from a dealer a state away. We drove 1.5hrs to look at the car, but it was dark and cold outside. Since im not 25 they wouldnt let me test drive the car (absolutely the dumbest thing ever, no dealer ever told me that before) and neither could she. So we just heard it run and checked out the inside and what not. She liked the car and put a deposit on it. She went back 2 days later with her father (he had to co-sign the loan, I am closing on my new house this week so unfortunately couldnt co-sign for her). They finally got to test drive the car and she said she didnt like how 3rd gear engaged. The salesman assured her it was how she was driving, so they bought the car. Then when I drove the car I knew something was wrong. So now we have it set up to bring to a closer acura dealer tomorrow morning.
We called another dealer and they said they wont do anything, and we need to take it back where we bought it from...wtf is that about? So I called and bitched at the original dealer and they said if the place we take it to tomorrow wont fix it that they will.
Now I have 3 problems with that, first off they are 1.5hr away. Second they sold the car probably knowing the problem. Third, I want to make sure its fixed right.

I printed out the TSB from acura about 3rd gearset issues and am taking that to the dealer. The car has 44k on it so I want all issues fixed before warranty runs out. Does anyone foresee me having to be a ***** to get this fixed? Or should they fix it no questions asked since there is a tsb for it.

Its a 05 tl 6spd 44k
Old 03-29-2009, 02:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Taking the 05 TL to the dealer tomorrow for 3rd gear...have a question

call acura corporate and tell them that the local dealer will not fix the car. Acura will set them straight as it adversly affects their image. Third gear sucks due to the weak *** brass parts used for the bushings
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Taking the 05 TL to the dealer tomorrow for 3rd gear...have a question

I'm at 44k miles and I just had my 3rd gear set replaced two weeks ago. The car has a 50k mile 48 month warranty. Hopefully your still within the limits.

My 3rd gear was often difficult to get into durring this cold season. I would go to shift from second, and the shifter would simply hit a wall halfway into 3rd. If I continued to press against the gate, it would suddenly pop in after a second or two (seems like an eternity when your getting on the freeway with traffic comming up your @$$). If I thought it was in 3rd at the time and let out the clutch, the shifter pop out back into neutral. The dealer called me within an hour to report that they had confirmed the problem and was going to replace the 3rd gear set.

In the end they had to replace the transmission housing (stuck bearing), O2 sensor (CEL was on after reassembly) and several rubber mounts (vibration was reported after reassembly). It was all under warranty with no questions asked (other than mileage). In addition a loaner was provided for the time beeing (you have to ask for one though).

This is a known issue with this car, so they have to take care of it provided they can recreate the issue. Definitely contact Acura corporate if they won't help you.

BTW: If the shift feeling is notchy, that is normal. If the shifter won't go in (or has a big delay), or pops out of gear, that is a problem...

If your car is out of warranty, and they still won't help you, try changing the transmission oil over to GM SynchroMesh FM (friction modified). Many people swear by this stuff (over on Acurazine) and say it gets rid of nasty shift problems in this car. The stuff cost $16 a quart, but it's definitely worth a try before having to pay for service...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car should be covered as long as it is still in the inservice date from orignal sales date.
when you bring it into the dealer they will run a vin hit and it will show the inservice date and they will go from their but since theirs a service bulliten on it see what they say. you dont need to call acs yet wait till you hear from the dealer if you go in bitchen and expect the world it wont happen.also remember the car is used and the other owner cound have raced the car and caused the damage also could be a bad syncro set. i do them all the time.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
#1 Super Guy

I have a copy of the most up-to-date service bulletin, and it specifically states that the tech should drive the car and see if they can reproduce the problem (won't go in and/or pops out). Then it says for them to drive one from the lot to compare the shifter feel in similar conditions (temp, humidity etc). Notchyness is normal, but that is all. It should always go into gear on the first try. Unfortunately the 6MT is rather rare and your dealer may not have one on the lot to compare...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

true but this should be rather easy for the tech to diag if he does manuals.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 94eg!
I'm at 44k miles and I just had my 3rd gear set replaced two weeks ago. The car has a 50k mile 48 month warranty. Hopefully your still within the limits.

My 3rd gear was often difficult to get into durring this cold season. I would go to shift from second, and the shifter would simply hit a wall halfway into 3rd. If I continued to press against the gate, it would suddenly pop in after a second or two (seems like an eternity when your getting on the freeway with traffic comming up your @$$). If I thought it was in 3rd at the time and let out the clutch, the shifter pop out back into neutral. The dealer called me within an hour to report that they had confirmed the problem and was going to replace the 3rd gear set.

In the end they had to replace the transmission housing (stuck bearing), O2 sensor (CEL was on after reassembly) and several rubber mounts (vibration was reported after reassembly). It was all under warranty with no questions asked (other than mileage). In addition a loaner was provided for the time beeing (you have to ask for one though).

This is a known issue with this car, so they have to take care of it provided they can recreate the issue. Definitely contact Acura corporate if they won't help you.

BTW: If the shift feeling is notchy, that is normal. If the shifter won't go in (or has a big delay), or pops out of gear, that is a problem...

If your car is out of warranty, and they still won't help you, try changing the transmission oil over to GM SynchroMesh FM (friction modified). Many people swear by this stuff (over on Acurazine) and say it gets rid of nasty shift problems in this car. The stuff cost $16 a quart, but it's definitely worth a try before having to pay for service...
I have an 08 TL-S with 10K on the clock,and it's been having the occasional grinding/popping. It doesn't happen as much anymore,but before it was like every other week. Now it comes up maybe every other month. It still makes me cringe. Is this something I should be worried about?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just make sure your delivery date falls under the warranty and you should be good. 2 3rd gears got installed today.. w00t
Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 AM
#1 Super Guy

Originally Posted by Mastermind2032
I have an 08 TL-S with 10K on the clock,and it's been having the occasional grinding/popping. It doesn't happen as much anymore,but before it was like every other week. Now it comes up maybe every other month. It still makes me cringe. Is this something I should be worried about?
If you bring in the car to have them look at it, simply ask for loaner. You'll get one...

If they cannot replicate the issue, then try installing GM Synchromesh FM (friction modified). A lot of people report that stuff cures occasional shifting issues. The instructions for replacing the trans-fluid are in the owners manual. It's pretty easy and only requires the replacment of the drain plug gasket. Unfortunately, you do have to remove the air-box to fill the transmission, but it's not terribly difficult. If your not cofident, take the car to your mechanic to have the fluid swapped. It doesn't have to be the Acura dealership...
Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
New User

I an 06 TL stick shift with 25K miles on it.
3rd gear was always difficult to engage. Dealer first replaced trans fluid and that fixed problem for a while, but then it returned.
Last week they replaced 3rd gear under warranty and service bulletin from Acura. I haven't driven it much since then but 3rd gear seems ok now, but now 4th gear has suspected issues - I've crashed gears engaging 4th twice, which I never did before. Tomorrow I'll be reporting this to Acura dealer.
Acura definitely has a problem with that transmission.