Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

99 CRV repair advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 CRV repair advice needed

I hope someone can help me. I am a '99 Honda CR-V owner who did not have the regular maintainence performed on my vehicle at 90,000-110,000 miles. (Timing belt replaced). I accept full responsibility for the fact the timing belt broke at 125,000 miles, which in turn damaged the valves in my engine. I had the dealer rebuild them and fix the problem for $2100.00. This happened mid July. Five days after picking up the vehicle, it broke down again. Water pump seized and broke timing belt again. Went back in shop and dealer was going to charge me $500.00 to replace the pump and install new timing belt. I did some research, to include contacting two other dealers and talking to a mechanic: all three stated that I should have been adviced that the water pump be replaced the first go around. Since I was never adviced, the dealer doing the work fixed the problem no charge. Also stated the new valve job was not damaged when water pump seized. The day I picked the vehicle up(second trip), it died on me five times at idle before I could get around block and back to dealer. They kept it overnight, said the IAC valve was misfunctioning. They replaced this free of charge. Picked vehicle up next week and drove it about a week. It seemed to be hesitating a lot during drive (acceleration), almost like clogged fuel filter or power surge. It no longer has the pick-up or power it had. The engine seems to run hard, harmonic balancer was vibrating very bad, and I was noticing a slight knock every once in while over passenger rear wheel. It also feels like it is trying very hard to die at stopsigns and lights, however, RPM needle is not bouncing like it was when it died 5 times, it just barely bounces. Took it back in, told them to look at harmonic balancer, and all other problems.
They called me and said the seal on the inside of the balancer went bad and needed to replace it but there was no suspension problems & rear differential fluids were fine. They insisted Harmonic balancer was not a problem they created and replaced the balancer pulley rather than just seal, plus replaced all drive belts at my request. $500.00 I paid for this. Got vehicle back, harmonic balancer is shaking just as bad, it shakes upper radiator hose, air filter cover,throttle cable, hose from fuel filter, engine head, steering wheel, to name a few. Click is still there in back right side (over exhaust). Power is very bad, no pick-up and it acts like it wants to die at idle, squeels when starting (lose drive belt?), and AC seems less powerful and less cool! I am at my wits end. I have a chilton manual and I am a woman educating myself. I think the valves are still damaged or may have been redamaged when water pump seized. Also, they did admit the cam timing was off when I picked it up last (fourth time in) and they said they repaired that. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 09-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 CRV repair advice needed (tina)

let me try to shed some light on your problem...if they rebuilt the head nad installed it and it runs like ****...stalling at idle or trying to...have your valves clearence rechecked as ALL CRV has this problem from new to old from 15k mile and up the valves and rocker arms tend to tighten up to much...it is something Honda know about and has a bulletion for 97-01 CRV...it will also cause lost of power to much engine vibration...hope this help somewhat

also a good note if you CRV is 4wd/all wheel drive have ur rear dif fluid change before you notice that when you turn left or right the car shakes and vibrate hard...due to dirty rear dif fluid

topy
im a Honda Tech