Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Problem Civic!!! Please Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Problem Civic!!! Please Help...

Hi all, May I introduce me & my car to you at the same time, As its my 1st post (But not the last, Promise)

I have a UK model, & am Based in UK London...

Heres what she looks like, As I assume you lot dont have this shape in the US etc...

I have been banging my head against the wall for the last 4 months, & I have not solved My problems with my civic...

Hence I turn to honda-tech for help...

I originally bought this as a Project, Even though I have done 80% of its work, the last 20% is not happening!

Its only a 1.4 automatic, So Really Really a Basic Standard honda compared to all you guys cars...

My problems are:

1. The cars OBD2 Port is not reading / linking / communicating with Any scanner / code reader that I have used (No matter how expensive / or cheap it is, I have tried around 6 different models, My own, & those of a garage)

2. The car is stuck in limpmode (when I turn the car on, for the 1st 20secs or so it works fine, But as soon as the 20secs pass, It lumps itself into limpmode, leaving the check engine light ON, being an automatic its hard to drive as it only can use a few gears & cant rev over 3000 rpm, & starts useing more fuel then an Bmw M3

This history of the car is it was Salvage / rebuilder (it had light front damage) & the airbags were set off because of this...

I have fixed the panel damage, Bought a set of airbags, Fitted them (with a USED airbag ecu that came with the Airbag kit, & seatblets /pre tensioners) BUT my SRS light is still on! & so is the Check engine light...

Sometimes I think its the Ecu?
Sometimes I think its the tranny?
Sometimes I feel like it may be the Knock sensor? (shall I bypass it? as many of you have done?)

BUT as Its not Reading out any Codes (because of the Link error), I Dont wish to be Guessing what to change, Spending money on parts, that are not gonna fix the problem $ later..

I have a few questions for you:

DOES the AIRBAG ECU need coding to my Main cars ECU?
(I was gonna send my OLD AIRBAG ECU to RESET the crash data, & try that, As it would already be coded to my car / main ecu) But am not sure if that will solve the problem...

I am really Un-fermiliar with what its ment to do? I understand that the 1st 20secs (on start up) it trys to see if the problem goes away, Once it does not, then it hits limpmode until i switch off the car & turn it on again...

I have been driving the car around in limpmode & its causing my Gearbox mount to go weak, I always can feel & here a jerk whenever I change from reverse to drive or vice versa...

I hope I have explained myself properly, Sorry for the LONG thread, If you have any Questions, Please ask, & I will try to answer...

May I thank you all in Advance for your Help...

Last edited by 2001UKCivicEP3; 02-12-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem Civic!!! Please Help...

Check to see if you have 12.6V at pin 16 of the DLC. If no power is present then no scan tool will be able to communicate with any modules.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 97twodoor
Check to see if you have 12.6V at pin 16 of the DLC. If no power is present then no scan tool will be able to communicate with any modules.
Thank you Sir for your fast reply!

May I say that the scan tools I used powered up from the DLC, (they never have a battery within the unit)

Would I still need to check pin 16, Is a different pin used to power up the scan tools?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check and see if there is power there just in case. Also check and make sure you have a ground at pin 4. What scan tools have you used?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM

I would check and see if there is power there just in case. Also check and make sure you have a ground at pin 4. What scan tools have you used?
I shall check power & ground at both pins ASAP (& report back)

I have used a variety (of which I cannot remmeber the names), BUT the main one I use is a Quicklynks T69 (Which I own, & works perfectly with other cars...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff, let me know how it goes for you. I just did a bit of reading on that scan tool (as i am not from the UK, and i was unfamiliar with that particular one) can you enter other control modules? For example ABS, SRS etc.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Good stuff, let me know how it goes for you. I just did a bit of reading on that scan tool (as i am not from the UK, and i was unfamiliar with that particular one) can you enter other control modules? For example ABS, SRS etc.
I doubt it, I think it will only read codes from the main ecu? However I am not sure!

Regardless here is the Main specification from the manufacturer

http://www.quicklynks.com/viewpro.asp?id=314
Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 AM

ok, I have checked DLC pin 16 for power, & its present, I also checked pins 4 (& 5) for ground, Which were also present!

Any more ideas?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would get a scan tool that can communicate with more than just the ECU. If you can communicate with other modules then i would test the continuity of the data line between the DLC and ECU.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM

I would get a scan tool that can communicate with more than just the ECU. If you can communicate with other modules then i would test the continuity of the data line between the DLC and ECU.
As I previously mentioned, the cars not communicating with ANY scanner I have used! (& I used a few garages, with the upmost latest scanners that were not as cheap as mine!)

Any idea of the Pinouts of the data line? between the ECU & DLC, How can i check?

I have not tried doing anything with the MES (Memory erase signal?) I did change to another USED airbag ECU & left the car battery disconecting hours before the process...

I found a Good diagram of all the SRS components just for info here:

http://www.autopartslib.com/2010/01/...-parts-diagram

Would you know if the LIMPMODE issue has anything to do with the SRS light / system? Would any SRS issue set off the car into LIMPMODE?

& Would you know if my Airbag ECU needs to be coded to my Car/ Or main ECU? Maybe thats causing my SRS light to stay on???

Thanks again for your help, Even though my problems are still here, I feel you have educated me on the DLC side of things, Pinouts etc...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the other scan tools have you tried to communicate with other modules like the ABS or SRS unit? The SRS unit should not cause any sort of drivability issues at all. As far as coding goes the SRS computer does not need to be coded however the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) may need to be re-initialized if a code 15-1 is present. This can be done only with an OEM Honda scan tool in my experience. And as far as pinouts go i don't really have access to UKDM diagrams but in a USDM EP3 the data line is from pin 7 (light blue wire colour) of the DLC to connector "E", pin 23 (light blue wire colour) of the ECU.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 AM

With the other scan tools have you tried to communicate with other modules like the ABS or SRS unit? The SRS unit should not cause any sort of drivability issues at all. As far as coding goes the SRS computer does not need to be coded however the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) may need to be re-initialized if a code 15-1 is present. This can be done only with an OEM Honda scan tool in my experience. And as far as pinouts go i don't really have access to UKDM diagrams but in a USDM EP3 the data line is from pin 7 (light blue wire colour) of the DLC to connector "E", pin 23 (light blue wire colour) of the ECU.
WoW! You are the man!

here are the rest of the Pinouts from the ECU (for my info) may help MY fault finding:

(*Hopefully they are for an EP3 thats not a Vtech as mines only a 1.4 auto)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/prc-ecu-pinout-2405090/

Last edited by 2001UKCivicEP3; 02-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Hey guys, I think I have got ridd of the headache altogether, I maywell have sold it! Wish me luck...