Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Spark plug threads on k20z1

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug threads on k20z1

I just did plugs, car has 73k on it so I would imagine its the first time they were changed. I found no other records indicating they were ever changed before. The plugs came out ok, the threads felt alittle weird. And when installing the new plugs they felt alittle weird tightening up by hand. When I used the torque wrench (13 ft lbs) they tightened up and the wrench clicked. However when I double checked everything was tightened up the torque wrench went another inch or two before clicking. The torque wrench is a 3/8 snap-on with a flex head, so its a quality tool.

First off, is the torque spec 13 ft lbs or 18 ft lbs ?
Second, are the spark plug threads in these heads known to strip out easily?
Third, do you think its just an inaccuracy with the torque wrench when torque low torque items ?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plug threads on k20z1

Congrats on wasting your money. Iridium plugs are good to 100k miles. I wouldn't have replaced them unless the engine was misfiring or having ignition problems under load.

I always torque lightly by hand, so I can't answer the torque spec question.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
Congrats on wasting your money. Iridium plugs are good to 100k miles. I wouldn't have replaced them unless the engine was misfiring or having ignition problems under load.

I always torque lightly by hand, so I can't answer the torque spec question.

Is that what I asked ? If your input doesn't have to do with the topic at hand don't even post.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for trying to help educate you about basic maintenance service intervals. I guess you like wasting money.

I was going to be nice and look up the torque spec for you, but since you're being a pissant you can do it yourself.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kornerk12
Is that what I asked ? If your input doesn't have to do with the topic at hand don't even post.
I believe he gave you a general answer to your question... might not be as specific as you want it but hey don't need to be a douche about it did you?

Also I noticed you made to thread about the absolute same subject: spark plugs... why couldn't you do it under one thread instead?

Also this isn't the first time this has come up, but people have been changing spark plugs for the pass god knows how many years. You could of searched a little to find your answer as it's only been covered like maybe 1000 times!

You want to answer people with your douche bag attitude fine no problem with me but I can be just as bad... think about it next time when posting cause I know next time turbo won't even bother answering you next time!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm moving away and wont be able to work on my car for a long time. THEREFORE I have to do it now. I figured it made more sense to do a bunch of stuff at once.

Oh and btw, DIRECTLY FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL

Replace spark plugs (see page 4-28) every 110,000 miles (176,000 km).
Use IZFR6K11 (NGK) or SKJ20DR-M11 (DENSO) for K20A3 engine (2004-2006 models) and use
IFR7G11K, IFR7G11KS (NGK) or SK22PR-M11, SK22PR-M11S (DENSO) for K20A2 engine (2004 model)
and use IFR7G11KS (NGK) or SK22PR-M11S (DENSO) for K20Z1 engine (2005-2006 models):
GAP 1.0 1.1 mm(0.039 0.043 in.).

Specified Torque
IFR7G11KS (NGK), SK22PR-M11S (DENSO):
25 N·m (2.5 kgf·m, 18 lbf·ft)
Except IFR7G11KS (NGK), SK22PR-M11S (DENSO):
18 N·m (1.8 kgf·m, 13 lbf·ft)

So its 110k not 100k. Also, the reason I had the question about the torque spec was because it was listed in the service manual like this. Doesn't make sense.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
I believe he gave you a general answer to your question... might not be as specific as you want it but hey don't need to be a douche about it did you?

Also I noticed you made to thread about the absolute same subject: spark plugs... why couldn't you do it under one thread instead?

Also this isn't the first time this has come up, but people have been changing spark plugs for the pass god knows how many years. You could of searched a little to find your answer as it's only been covered like maybe 1000 times!

You want to answer people with your douche bag attitude fine no problem with me but I can be just as bad... think about it next time when posting cause I know next time turbo won't even bother answering you next time!

His answer wasted my and his time. It gave no insight into the issue at hand. I know the interval and I have my reasoning for changing them at this time. That has nothing to do with my question. Hopefully next time he won't answer me with such a ******** answer and save me the time of reading his wiseass comment. Just because he has probably offered some useful insight on this site doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. If he wants to educate others he can do that and if he had said it in a respectful way I would have been ok with that but he did not. And I thought it made more sense to split these questions up since they are different questions and makes more sense to separate them. Also I know how to change plugs and have done so at work and on personal vehicles on many many different makes and models. I simply wanted to know if these heads strip out easily and if this is common and what the true spec is. I do not have that much experience with kseries and have not gotten a non smartass answer in this section of the forum yet.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

His answer wasted my and his time. It gave no insight into the issue at hand. I know the interval and I have my reasoning for changing them at this time. That has nothing to do with my question.
You should've included this info with your initial post. The more info you give, the better answer you'll get. Keep in mind we get a lot of redundant, useless posts which wastes OUR time trying to help answer questions that have been covered in depth dozens of times. So sorry that we may have wasted YOUR time.

Hopefully next time he won't answer me with such a ******** answer and save me the time of reading his wiseass comment.
I can be a ********, won't argue with that.

Just because he has probably offered some useful insight on this site doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. If he wants to educate others he can do that and if he had said it in a respectful way I would have been ok with that but he did not.
Chill out, man. Seriously. It's not like I flamed you and called you an idiot, all I said was you wasted your money. Butt hurt much?

I simply wanted to know if these heads strip out easily and if this is common and what the true spec is. I do not have that much experience with kseries and have not gotten a non smartass answer in this section of the forum yet.
It's an aluminum head, does aluminum strip easily? Yes, if you're not careful.

I answered your other thread without being a smartass. Just don't expect everything to be spoon fed to you when it's been covered countless times.

Believe it or not we're here to help.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude don't take it personal cause he told you you wasted your money lol... you make it sound like he called you all kinds of names when he just told you that! I think you being a little sentive!

And yes your questions about spark plugs are different but to be honest its been asked a million times so you could put them together and you could of searched it before asking it...
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
And yes your questions about spark plugs are different but to be honest its been asked a million times so you could put them together and you could of searched it before asking it...
Not to mention that he also made a thread on ClubRSX where this was already answered.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member