Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

P0336 in EP3

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P0336 in EP3

So finished putting my brothers car back together today. Just finished a complete rebuild on the K20a3. And we have a p0336 CEL for the crankshaft position sensor. It will not allow me to get past 3K rpms, so I cannot break the engine in at all. I checked the sensor, and it is plugged in. Any ideas anyone?

Only input I know I can give is that we never took the sensor off of that entire side cover, but we did clean it with it on there, not sure if the cleaner could have messed that sensor up ( very fragile sensor maybe)? And when we were reassembling it, I almost forgot the toothed gear that slides on the crankshaft, but I do know its on there. Car starts and everything and sounds good. Has a wandering idle though, like a vacuum leak, that I do need to find.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: P0336 in EP3

you re-built a base engine... i would have just swapped in a k20a2. either way...

Why did you have to rebuild? Pull the sensor out and make sure there is no debris on it first. Make sure it's not broken either.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its throwing a crank sensor code mechanical timing could still be off. i know even a worn stretched chain can throw a crank or cam sensor code they are very picky on these newer engines.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Type-Spaz
you re-built a base engine... i would have just swapped in a k20a2. either way...

Why did you have to rebuild? Pull the sensor out and make sure there is no debris on it first. Make sure it's not broken either.
it was not my call. i tried to convince my brother to just throw a type-s engine or some sort of upgrade in there. but he just wanted what he had fixed. we rebuilt because of the two burnt exhaust valves.

can small debris cause a cel for this?

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
if its throwing a crank sensor code mechanical timing could still be off. i know even a worn stretched chain can throw a crank or cam sensor code they are very picky on these newer engines.
the car has 150,000 miles on it. I checked the timing before turning it over by hand at least a dozen times.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

150k i hope u did put a new timing chain and guides on it. they recommend timing chains to be changed every 100k. the chain could have a lot of stretch and is causing the code.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
150k i hope u did put a new timing chain and guides on it. they recommend timing chains to be changed every 100k. the chain could have a lot of stretch and is causing the code.
I did not.

And not to sound like a smart ***, but here goes. I have seen numerous Honda's with the original cam chain with well over 100K. Then what with them? And before we pulled the engine and rebuilt it, it never threw the code, it was fine, how is it now it does? Once again, not being a smart ***, just trying to figure it all out.

I did talk to a buddy who works at honda, and he said that with that code appearing after a rebuild it can be one of three things according to Honda online. The cam chain stretching (not doubting that its possible), the pulse plate is installed backwards (the word 'outside' facing inwards), or if there is a chipped tooth on the pulse plate.

I mean it is possible I made the mistake and put the pulse plate on backwards. Will be pulling the cam chain cover off tomorrow. I know it is a huge pain, but oh well.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, let us know what you find. I would've went ahead and replaced the chain just as preventative maintenance, but I'm OCD about car stuff
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok fixed that issue. After talking to a buddy who still works at the honda dealership I worked at, if anyone gets that code after a rebuild, it is one of the following:

-Crank sensor pickup gear installed backwards
-Crank sensor pickup gear chipped tooth
-Chain stretched

Well we took of the chain case cover this afternoon to find the gear was on backwards. I swore I put it on the correctly, but hey, **** happens, but at least we figured that out.

Now I just got back from driving it and breaking the engine in. Sounds good, but on the way home I got a CEL, and I just scanned it and its a VTEC system malfunction light. It will not let me past 4k rpms (obviously when VTEC kicks in). Prior to that driving (about 20 minutes worth), it let me go past that. Any clue what the deal may be? That and I have a wandering idle from 1k rpms to 2k rpms at idle. I see no vacuum lines disconnected, but I am going to check tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys.