Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Mysterious Engine Noise 2003 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Engine Noise 2003 Civic

I'm new to this site and although fairly mechanical, do not know these Hondas very well and I am hoping a sharp tech advisor or someone can steer me in the right direction.

I've owed this 2003 Civic for the past 4 months. It has 120kms (approx 75k miles) on it. Over the last couple of months the performance seemed a bit "lazy" for lack of a better word but not terrible. It was better when I first bought it, pretty responsive with light throttle even at low RPMs 2 - 3k. Gas mileage has always been excellent.

The other night I go to jump in it and the battery is stone dead. I charged the battery for a few minutes from another vehicle. I hit the starter and it immediately starts without problem. After approx. 30 sec to a minute the motor starts making this TERRIBLE LOUD OBNOXIOUS noise coming from it so I immediately shut it down. I let it sit for a bit and crossed my fingers as I restarted the car. Again, it run normally for about 30 seconds or so and started doing the same thing. Should note that while it is making this noise, it may stop briefly (1 second or so) while it does this.

Stuff I've Done to Identify the Problem:
(1) I immediately thought of mechanical bearing failure so I took the alternator off and had an Auto electric shop spin it up on a test jig with belt tension on it to see if bearing were shot - it tested fine.
(2) Took the power steering belt off and started motor - noise still present so rule out power steering pump
(3) ran motor without rad cap b/c it seemed like steaming from rad cap when this terrible noise was occurring. Noise remained. Also note: no bubbling in rad, rad level is right up. I was also thinking head gasket failure pressurizing rad. Don't think so. Coolant does not seem contaminated.
(4) Next I was thinking well, I HAVE TO CHECK THE TIMING BELT. I just could not ignore this possibility so I have it ripped apart right now. Everything looks ok in there. Previous owner stated that belt was just replaced at 110kms. Belt does look like new. I was thinking maybe tensioner pulley? or water pump?
(5) I stopped for tonight so I need to pull the water pump to see if the bearing packed it in. Just spinning it by hand still bolted in, it seems fine.

Since it is apart I'm going to throw a new water pump in it and a new belt.
Next I guess I will do a compression check and take valve cover off to do a visual inspection of things.

Any ideas? Could it be something as simple as the AC compressor ( it seems to spin fine by hand).

I wish I knew more about these cars but hopefully someone knowledgeable can help out.

Thanks A Lot
Old 07-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mysterious Engine Noise 2003 Civic

You say 2003 Civic... But you mention a power steering belt?

Are you referring to a Civic Si or the normal model Civic?

If it isn't the Si then you are in the wrong forum.

See if you can visually inspect your motor mounts. Also if the A/C compressor has a failed and the bad it will really vibrate. Have you recently had the A/C system serviced or filled? Try cycling the A/C compressor and see if it changed. You might need to pull the A/C relay out all together to keep it from turning on so you can drive it.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mysterious Engine Noise 2003 Civic

I believe you have the wrong forum.... could you please state which model of the civic you have?