Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Learning about LCA's the hard way

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning about LCA's the hard way

So I was hearing a lot of clunking coming from my front left suspension. I could see that the front control arm bushing was torn and needing replacement. I looked up the control arm on Mevotech's online control arm catalog. It showed that part number CMS6010112 would fit my 2006 RSX. And it came with the bushings installed, and rock auto wanted just over $50 for it. So I bought that and CMS601013 for the right hand side too, since $100 for both sides was a deal. I failed to verify those part numbers would work at rock auto, which would come back to haunt me. I thought surely the manufacturer would know which part numbers work for specific applications.

The clunking turned out to be the sway bar linkage, but I had already purchased the Mevotech control arms online from rock auto since I thought the noise was coming from the LCA bushings. To make matters much worse the old control arm would not detach from the ball joint spindle no matter what tool I used. So I had to cut the control arm off with a cutting disc. That worked perfectly, but ran into a nightmare when I tried to install the new LCA.

Turns out the hole in the new control arm is around 2mm smaller than the ball joint spindle at its widest point! The ball joint spindle will not go far enough through the hole to expose any threads. It will not work at all! There is also a difference in the orientation of the spindle hole plate and also the caster and camber location of the spindle hole relative to the front bushing hole.

I have already reached out to Mevotech about the error in their catalog, as they think that all base RSX models 2002-2006 use the same front lower control arm! But in reality 2005-2006 takes a completely different control arm. I doubt they will be willing to do anything to make up for the problem they have caused me. And rock auto will not take back the control arms!

So now I have 2 brand new control arms with new bushings for years 2002-2004 that I cannot use, with the old control arm cut up and unusable. And since its the middle of Memorial Day weekend I have no access to the correct control arm I need. I am screwed!

Learn from my experience!

Last edited by unclematt; 05-30-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learning about LCA's the hard way

Here is something interesting: Mevotech is not the only company who has made the same mistake! NAPA also shows part number NCP2607585 as fitting all RSXs from 2002 to 2006! So does MOOG, which shows RK640288 fitting all years of RSX! But if you look at Acura's part numbers, 2002-2004 is part number 51360-S6M-A02, but 2005-2006 is part number 51360-S6M-A11.

I believe in 2005 is when Acura changed the knuckle design to a non-removable ball joint. They must have also changed the diameter of the ball joint spindle, as well as the caster and camber of the front wheels.

So as of right now the only supplier of the 2005-2006 front control arms is ACURA! And they only sell it with the bushings included, and retail price at the dealer is $371.30! I can get it wholesale online for $267.34, but not sure how much shipping will be yet. Partsgeek.com shows Genuine Suspension part number 18268-01215391 (W0133-1835897) for $228.00 working as well, but have to check on that one to make sure.

If anyone knows of another supplier, please let me know!

Last edited by unclematt; 05-30-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a photo showing the difference between the two control arms.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It just keeps getting worse! The Genuine Suspension part number turned out to be a dead end, and it will take over a week to get an Acura part from one of the wholesalers online. Unless I come up with something else really quick, I am going to have to pay full retail at my local Acura dealership!

I heard back from the customer service manager at Mevotech, Victor Moreira. At first he denied there was a a problem, until I proved it to him with Acura part numbers and the photo I posted above. Then all he replied with was "Thank you for bringing this to our attention". I responded back that he needed to work with me to get a refund from Rock Auto! That the problem wasn't just his catalog being in error, but also the fact I spent $120 on 2 control arms that I cannot use, and I need to get that money back. I am waiting to see what he says next, but I am sceptical he will do anything to make this right. I hope I am wrong.

So far Moog, Mevotech, NAPA, and Federal-Mogul have all made the same mistake of thinking one control arm fits all base RXSs from 2002-2006. BE WARNED!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My local Acura dealer said they would match the online price including the shipping. So $297 for an OEM control arm. Add on the $118 I already spent on incorrect parts, and add another $80 for a new sway bar linkage, balljoint boot and clamp, and $25 for a balljoint removal tool, and this job has cost me a whopping $520! F**K!!!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by unclematt
My local Acura dealer said they would match the online price including the shipping. So $297 for an OEM control arm. Add on the $118 I already spent on incorrect parts, and add another $80 for a new sway bar linkage, balljoint boot and clamp, and $25 for a balljoint removal tool, and this job has cost me a whopping $520! F**K!!!!!
Well....thats why they have online oem parts stores. You input your VIN and get the correct list of parts. Sorry to hear you had a rough adventure, but hey we all learn somehow.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe there is a way to replace the lower ball joint on an 05-06 using a prelude one.

DIY: BB6 Prelude Ball Joint Install in 05-06 RSX Type-S - Club RSX Message Board
Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tony 2018, what does it tell you when several manufacturers know less about what cars their parts fit than online retailers? Either one person made a mistake that the rest emulated, or they all made the same mistake. I just want to recover the money I spent on Mevotech control arms that I cannot use. So far all they have done is ask me to take down this thread! Its $118, you would think they would gladly make this right rather than have negative publicity.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.kseriesparts.com/

Hands down the best site to buy or get info for RSX parts. Theyre pricey,but the have the correct info...
Old 06-27-2016, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mevotech has made no efforts to make this right at all! I encourage you all to avoid Mevotech in the future. Their catalog cannot be trusted, and they do not handle customer service well at all! I contacted their customer service manager directly, and he did nothing except complain about the fact I posted this thread! All I asked him to do was work with me to get a refund from RockAuto for parts I cannot use, but he did nothing at all. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for suspension parts! Do not use this company!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by unclematt
Mevotech has made no efforts to make this right at all! I encourage you all to avoid Mevotech in the future. Their catalog cannot be trusted, and they do not handle customer service well at all! I contacted their customer service manager directly, and he did nothing except complain about the fact I posted this thread! All I asked him to do was work with me to get a refund from RockAuto for parts I cannot use, but he did nothing at all. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for suspension parts! Do not use this company!
Im sorry I forgot to mention,in the professional world of auto repair, Mevotech is considered absolute junk. I do not know of one automotive professional (mechanic) that has anything good to say about this brand.

Looks like you learned the hard way.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that does suck though. Most normal people trying to find a cheaper route won't think twice buying from a website that represents themselves as professional.

So unfortunately you learned the hard way about doing heavy research. I recommend hitting up ClubRSX. pretty much all your questions have popped up on there one time or another.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your comments guys. The thing is as I already mentioned, more than one aftermarket suspension component manufacturer has made the same error in that they think that control arms from 2004 and earlier will work on 2005-2006 models. NOPE! And the photo I posted above proves this is the case.
Mevotech may be junk, but other companies have made the same mistake. You can have the best control arms in the world, but if they don't fit the application they are sold for, it won't matter how good they are.