Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Just did oil change - dripping from filter and plug (yeah, haha noob!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Just did oil change - dripping from filter and plug (yeah, haha noob!)

anyways, im not the strongest guy around, so after noticing the leak in the filter that I *hand tightened* I tightened it a little more with a wrench (we will see if leak stops)

However drain plug, with a new crush washer, I tightened to spec with a torque wrench to 33lbs (per manual, base 2004 rsx).

I will wait on the oil filter and see if tightening it a little more helped (I did oil the gasket before installing). but is 33lbs not enough torque on the bolt?

I did have a hell of a time removing the oil plug bolt.. so maybe thats the case and I need to tighten it more?

Maybe it was previously torqued more so now spec isnt enough?

Thanks pros. first oil change ive done in this since I bought it (last one at the mechanics cost me $40 when I brought my own oil and filter in, thought id do it myself this time)

edit: realized this is the technical forum, not sure this qualifies, sorry if not, please move if needed.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just did oil change - dripping from filter and plug (yeah, haha noob!)

The oil filter should not leak even with a mild amount of hand tightening. Most likely you did not have a clean mating surface for either your oil filter or your drain plug. If it continues to leak, remove both, clean the surface on the pan and the block, then re-install.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just did oil change - dripping from filter and plug (yeah, haha noob!)

Maybe you have some dripping from when you removed the old filter. Oil ran down the engine block and is dripping. Clean it off and monitor... Chech to see if the drips are clean or dirty oil.

With a new crush washer on the drain plug you don't need much torque. You will feel the washer crush. Clean off the plug and monitor for drips on the bottom edge of the bolt.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also take the filter off and verify that you only have one oil filter gasket on there. sometimes the old one will stick on there and you wont notice. give the drain plug a little more ***. a LITTLE more ***. i use my crush washers repeatedly without replacing them and theyre fine with a little *** on em.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil goes all over the frame on those cars when you pull the filter off, clean all that off with brake clean and rags real good also make sure you didn't double gasket it (make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter) although if you did it would prob be pissing out.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the drain plug bolt threads are a little stripped that's why it was hard for you to remove it in the first place and causing the leak? Did you make sure you didn't double gasket the oil filter? A lot of aftermarket brand oil filters have the problem of the o-ring sticking to th block, so when you put the new filter on, there are two gaskets, causing a leak. Also did you apply a bit of oil to the o-ring of the new filter?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the suggestions.

I tightened down the oil drain plug a tad more over the 33lb spec and it seems to have stopped leaking there.

Also checked the old filter and the gasket is still attached.

I did put a little oil around the new filters gasket.

all I can think is that I did not put it on tight enough or it did not have a clean mating surface. I have tightened it a little more with some vice grips around the nut (k&n filter), hoping maybe my scrawny arms weren't enough to get it on as tight as it should have been. If there are drips tomorrow I will be taking it to my brother in law for a better inspection.

edit: the drips are clean oil so its shouldn't be from removing the old one and getting oil on the frame.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Enthusiast
last one at the mechanics cost me $40 when I brought my own oil and filter in, thought id do it myself this time
A shop charged you $40 for an oil change when you supplied your own filter & oil? You got waxed son.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its easy to tell when you have a double gasket, it doesn't drip, IT POURS. It will empty all the oil in about 1 minute if you double gasket.

I usually put a good amount of new oil on the new gasket, and it doesn't take a lot to tighten it down to spec. DO NOT use a wrench, hand tight is perfect.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Be sure to use new oil around the new filter gasket, the particulates in the old oil may cause leakage...
Highly improbable/worst case scenario: the past owner/mechanic severly overtightened the filter, compressing the gasket and causing the metal edge of the filter to gouge the mounting surface, resulting in the leakage.

I'm bored tonight so...EP3 oil change tips:
- Wait w/ the hood open for a bit until the engine cools off a little. Use one of those rubberized dinner plate mats ( http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/280..._plate_mat.jpg ) to both loosen the oil filter by reaching over the valve cover and to insulate your hand/arm by placing some of the mat on the header heat shield; much easier than loosening the filter from under the car.

- Drape a plastic bag under the oil filter before removing it; really helps keep the subframe/axle assembly clean.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again, lots of great advice here. I will be much better prepared next time.

Honestly, I think I had the filter on fine and I was leaking from the frame as is seen in this picture from another forum thread:

I have since changed the filter I had overtightened anyways and I am still dripping, but dry around the filter itself which led me to the assumption it was never coming from the filter.

Keep up the good help.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you top off the oil after changing the filter? Most filters hold about a 1/2 quart of oil.(not important to your possible leak issue, just an important fact).

I do a fair amount of oil changes at my work(I work at a Tire/alignment shop). Theres some cars that will drip for days if you get oil on the subframe... and its almost impossible to change the oil without getting oil on the subframe.

Next time try putting the bag down like the other user suggested, a piece of cardboard can also help guide the flow of oil.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep I started the car, let it run a few seconds and shut it off, then checked the oil level after I replaced the filter, ended up adding as you said about half a quart.

Live and learn. Next time without a doubt I will make sure I don't saturate the frame with oil when removing the filter!!

Very helpful thread I hope anyone else in the same situation comes across it and finds their answers!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In all fairness, I've noticed oil drips in my garage after doing oil changes. But I knew it was from my sloppy oil-changing techniques
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
In all fairness, I've noticed oil drips in my garage after doing oil changes. But I knew it was from my sloppy oil-changing techniques
an oil change really

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android