Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

03 Civic Si EP3, rebuilt title, yay or nay

Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Civic Si EP3, rebuilt title, yay or nay

Hey guys what's up, first time actually being in this part of the board. Anyway, here's the deal. I currently have a 99 Integra GSR that I have placed up for sale or trade. I have one guy in particular interested in the car who has a 03 Civic Si almost stock.

99 Integra GSR
AEM intake
B&M shifter
00 Si wheels with new tires
Vibrant Power1 exhaust
H&R springs
Sensa-Trak struts/shocks
JVC head unit
ITR wing color matched
LOTS of new maintenance parts

03 Civic Si
Lowered on off brand springs, stock struts/shocks
"JDM badges"
Stock other than lowered

The only issue is his car has a rebuilt title. He states that the previous owner got into a accident which messed up the fender, bumper, hood, and headlight. Now I know that this diminishes the cars value, and coming from an insurance background it was near 30%. This would put the car around the $5300 mark in good condition. However, insurance/blue book does not reflect market value. If I did trade I have roughly $6k invested in my Teg so right off from an insurance stand point I'm "losing" $700. I guess my question is, do you feel like it's a fair trade and if I was to sell it do you think I could get my $6k back out of it?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 03 Civic Si EP3, rebuilt title, yay or nay

I'd stay away from it bro. You could get 1 w/ NO rebuilt title for less than 6K for sure and what this guy says, you cannot trust 100%...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, hold out for an 04-05 ep. Don't settle for the older models because with the upgrades you'll regret it.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Function > Form

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aspire
Honestly, hold out for an 04-05 ep. Don't settle for the older models because with the upgrades you'll regret it.
Hey, some people like the 02-03's :D

but yes... I do agree with Lena and Kev, I would also hold out on this one. Why would you want to trade for something that's worth less anyway. In the end, it's all up to you though what you wanna do.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep the Integra. Why would you get rid of it anyway?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an Integra before my Si, so I know where you're coming from.

Think about this: the Si has side impact beams and side airbags, the Integra doesn't. The Si weighs a little bit more, has better height and visibility, and is overall a newer car. Clearly the Si is a much safer car by todays standards.

You didn't mention miles. How many miles are on each car? Think of the Si motor as the new B18B of the K series world (non-Vtec, 7k redline). It's still super reliable (though the 02-03 Si has a problem with camshafts getting pitted/galled).

The Integra isn't getting any newer. And you're effing crazy if you think the Integra is "worth" $6k. I know you've put that much money into it, but that doesn't mean someone on the open market would actually pay $6k for it. I wouldn't.

Have a shop inspect the Si and make sure the body work was completed properly. If everything checks out okay, you'd be stupid not to trade it.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv

Think about this: the Si has side impact beams and side airbags, the Integra doesn't. The Si weighs a little bit more, has better height and visibility, and is overall a newer car. Clearly the Si is a much safer car by todays standards.

You didn't mention miles. How many miles are on each car? Think of the Si motor as the new B18B of the K series world (non-Vtec, 7k redline). It's still super reliable (though the 02-03 Si has a problem with camshafts getting pitted/galled).

The Integra isn't getting any newer. And you're effing crazy if you think the Integra is "worth" $6k. I know you've put that much money into it, but that doesn't mean someone on the open market would actually pay $6k for it. I wouldn't.

Have a shop inspect the Si and make sure the body work was completed properly. If everything checks out okay, you'd be stupid not to trade it.
^ I concur.

< Former DB owner who upgraded to a newer car aka 2005 Civic Si.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with this as well. Plus the body on that civic looks really clean too. If the shop checks the body work and it looks legit, I def would recommend the trade as well. Also, aren't EP's stolen less?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nate13
Also, aren't EP's stolen less?
That too.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like many of the people above have said, if the body shop says the work is legit i would do it, The ep's are less likely to be stolen than your teg, and you might have more fun with the build than your teg also. I have had a few cb7's, and a eg and i can honestly say that i am having way more fun build my ep and the people are a lot more helpful and a pleasure to hang out with.

It looks like he also has an ephatch.com sticker so you could probably find out more about the car through that forum and see if the car was beaten on or if he took care of it and not a shady guy
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I had the miles on there, then reworded the post and forgot them. My teg has 117k and the EP3 has 70k on the clock. The major +'s for me are the safety, newer/less miles, and not stolen as much.

I don't think my teg is "worth $6k", I said I have $6k in it. That includes extra goodies that I would normally just take off and sell separate if I was to sell the car. I was just putting that out there to state that the actual "invested" amount would be $6k and from an insurance stand point I'm looking at a $5300 car and the guy isn't budging off the trade deal.

To the people saying find another one for around the same price or less with a clean title, no. I have looked around and the only ones I have seen within about 300 miles are $8k+
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Function > Form

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this, I respectively change my answer to... this ^
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
Yeah I had the miles on there, then reworded the post and forgot them. My teg has 117k and the EP3 has 70k on the clock. The major +'s for me are the safety, newer/less miles, and not stolen as much.

I don't think my teg is "worth $6k", I said I have $6k in it. That includes extra goodies that I would normally just take off and sell separate if I was to sell the car. I was just putting that out there to state that the actual "invested" amount would be $6k and from an insurance stand point I'm looking at a $5300 car and the guy isn't budging off the trade deal.

To the people saying find another one for around the same price or less with a clean title, no. I have looked around and the only ones I have seen within about 300 miles are $8k+
it looks like you have your mind made up. I would take all the goodies off the teg and use that money to mod the ep, but thats just my .02
Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostniraq25
it looks like you have your mind made up. I would take all the goodies off the teg and use that money to mod the ep, but thats just my .02
Well he wants those included. I normally would take out my audio equipment, wheels, intake, etc etc and just replace with the OEM units. Those of course would have to go with it for the trade to be made.

The thing is I am HORRIBLE about going through cars. Since last June I have had 99 Civic hatch, 99 Civic Si, 91 CRX Si, and now the 99 Integra GSR. I'm just hoping with the title being rebuilt IF I do trade or sell I could get my money out of it. Now I would plan to keep it for a good while since it has low miles and for the most part unmolested, BUT I have said that with almost every car I have had haha.

SO, final consensus. Do you think if I got the EP3 with a rebuilt title, but very clean condition, I could at least get $6k back out of it? (not taking long term depreciation into affect of course)
Old 05-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you will get 6k for rebuilt title.

OT but you should buy my 04 with 49k jdm bumpers, bolt ons, kpro for $8500 :D
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't think you could get $6k out of it, especially with rebuilt title...
Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont get rid of your teggy bro is a gsr getting that si would be a big downgrade
Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 AM
cute little bastard

Isn't it more expensive to insure a rebuilt title car?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the problem about modding is not everyone has the same likes, so if you did some tasteful and light mods you could get close to 6k.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why do you think the owner of the Si wants to get rid of it...cuz he knows that Si is a peice of **** your GSR could be stock and Si can have bolt-ons and you will still rape it like by two cars
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SkoundrelUSA
Isn't it more expensive to insure a rebuilt title car?
No it's the same. You can most of the time only get liability which doesn't cover your car either way.

Originally Posted by lostniraq25
the problem about modding is not everyone has the same likes, so if you did some tasteful and light mods you could get close to 6k.
I don't heavily mod my daily driven cars. Basic I/H/E, wheels, suspension, and audio equipment is about the extent of it.

Originally Posted by Igaly
why do you think the owner of the Si wants to get rid of it...cuz he knows that Si is a peice of **** your GSR could be stock and Si can have bolt-ons and you will still rape it like by two cars
Quite the opposite. I'm sure he would fly on by as my car only see's over 3k rpm in 5th gear on the highway.

But, alas, I think I'm going to pass it up. At the end of the day I just don't know the extent of the damages not am I 100% sure I like it more then the Integra. I will just keep an eye out for another one in good shape and try my hand at bargaining with them instead.