Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Front end shimmy... Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end shimmy... Help

I drive a 2002 Civic Si, with no modifications to the car. 10 months ago I had my rotors turned, and put super cheap pads ( all I could afford at time ) on the front of the Civic. The pads were a litlte too thick to get the calliper back around them so I ground the pads down on a wheel grinder. ( Enough to allow the calliper back on. ) Well, I am pretty hard on my brakes as far as stopping distance. I dont ride them at all. I noticed a shimmy in the pedals starting so I went out and bought the second best pad that autozone had. Its a Semi Organic Pad. Threw em on with no fitment problems, sprayed the back of the pad, relubed the pins on the calliper and put it all back together. I now have a even worse shimmy when braking from 35 mph up. Like slowing down off the interstate. There is NO shimmy leaving the neighborhood, 25 mph and slower.

Someone mentioned that those pads would break in to the grooves on the rotor being that semi organic construction and the shake/shimmy wouild go away fairly soon. I have put 450 miles on the brakes and they have gotten a little better, but not right.

My Questions are, do I buy new rotors, and replace the ones I have? Do I have the ones I already have turned for the second time, and try them again? Would me having shaven on the old pads, and them not being perfectly smoothe have warped the old rotors? What would you all do?

Please please please help
Old 11-30-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Front end shimmy... Help (I Am White)

that is called a brake pulsation and it is not from the pads but from the groves in the rotors being too far spread out. you would have to get ur rotors resurfaced or if the rotors are below spec you will have to buy new rotors. that should fix ur problem.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end shimmy... Help (RSXTYPES0818)

Sweet, thanx for the reassurance. Does anyone have any experience with slotted rotors and decent pads for everyday driving, or should I go with blanks? I am not worried about the money for a new set of rotors because I know that blanks are cheaper, but would I get a little bit better response out of slotted? Thanks for the help
Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Front end shimmy... Help (I Am White)

Just stick to normal rotors, unless you do a lot of autocrossing
Old 11-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end shimmy... Help (huevosrancheros)

yeah, thats what i ended up buyibg... I went for just slotted, and they dont even cary them not to mention the price difference