Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

EP3 is throwing Code P1298 - just change ELD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP3 is throwing Code P1298 - just change ELD?

Hello everybody,

first of all, I'm from Austria, so I hope you can understand everything ;-)

I'm driving a '02 Civic EP3 Type R, without any problems, but last weekend code P1298 popped out.

Now I searched the net for solutions for this problem, seems like most people just change the ELD.

BUT: I'm wondering WHY the ELD is running on high voltage, what's the reason for this? Changing the ELD will just eliminate the CEL, but I think it won't solve the problem itself.

I found a little tutorial how to check if the ELD is working properly: http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...eld-fault.html
My ELD seems to be working correctly, it simply gets not the 5V it needs, it gets 7.3V, and I don't know why. In my eyes that indicates, that something goes wrong (wiring, ECM, whatever). Could it be a short somewhere in the wiring?

So what do you think, go on with the search for the problem or just change the ELD?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EP3 is throwing Code P1298 - just change ELD?

Have you ever changed/replaced the OEM battery or alternator? Seems like those would be the most obvious causes for something of this nature.

I would check all of your ground connections too. Make sure all of the factory ground points have good connectivity, no rust, etc..

Here's one of the responses on the link you posted:

Originally Posted by Sparky's Answer link
On the vehicle that I posted about, the P1298 was a result of an alternator that was overcharging. The alternator was overcharging because of a super heated catalytic converter. The converter was over heated by excess fuel entering the engine, caused by a faulty cam sensor.
So keep in mind the code being shown may not be the actual causation of the problem. This is true also for the o2 sensor code...very rarely is it the sensor itself that is bad, but something "upstream" in the engine that is faulty.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess is there is another code your overlooking. i have NEVER in my experience seen a car solely throw an ELD code. it usually accompanies another code , and ELD code typically means something is not plugged in , or failed to the point the ecu cant see it at all.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your answers so far.

I don't think that the alternator or the battery is the reason for this code, as the battery shows about 11.5V without and about 13.7V with the engine running. As far as I know would a faulty cam sensor be another code, but this didn't show up, also the car runs without any problems, no misfiring, no power loss, fuel consumption as usual, no problems at all.

But BlackKready you are right, when I was at my Honda dealer there actually was a second code, but when we deleted the codes it was gone, only the 1298 came back.
I can't remember the exact code, but the description was something like "Primary O2 Sensor Low Voltage"

Could these 2 be related, e.g. a short?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Trial User

Having very similar issues as you. Code popped p1298. Made a quick chance of the eld, checked all fuses reset ecu ect ect. Checked all grounds, still no luck. The car (2002 ep3 completely stock) has no noticeable power loss at any rpm, no voltage fluctuation, or any side effects whatsoever, yet I still have the p1298 code... Any help would be greatly appreciated as sadly im due for an inspection and will not pass as it is. Thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would this code make the car to die out?