Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

CV Joint Boot

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Boot

I have a 02 Si.

I was looking at lowering my car a little more this weekend. I found that I have a ripped CV Joint Boot on the drivers side closest to the trans and a ripped balljoint boot on the passanger side. How hard is it going to be for me to replce these? I found the CV boot here:

part 002

I assume it is the INBOARD one .

This is the part I guess I need to replace the ball joint boot:

Part 003

So are there any precautions I need to take before doing this? It seems pretty stait forward, but I've never dont either. Would it cost a lot to have a shop or Honda do it? The car is still under warrany, since the car is lowered will that void it?

Next, why would this happen? If I replace the boots are they going to tear again? My car is lowered on KW coilovers, but not super low. I read in this post someone said that lowering could cause the CV boot to rip. Why is that? it doesn't seem like it would hit anything, and the axle seems more strait when lowered. Also, why would the ball joint boot rip - just normal wear? I don't know how long either have been like this. From the looks of things - no crisp tear - I would say it's been a while. How long can I drive like this safely?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can drive on those for a while, but it may cause more damage.

You can try and take it in to Acura to have it covered. Whats the worst that could happen? warranty canceled?hhahaha.

Replacing them is pretty straight foward bro. If you need the helms manual let me know.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (f1nal zeros)

So I finaly got around to deciding I just didn't have the time to do this myself and I really needed it done. I took it to the dealer knowing that they would charge my because of the mods, but hoping that warranty would cover it. So the car is at the dealer right now getting the CV Joint boot and the ball join boot replaced under warrany - for free.

It was funny; when I went to pick up the car from thier initial inspection and parts order, the service guy said that they wouldn't have replaced the parts under warranty had I done any mods to the suspension. I'm still not sure where he was coming from as we were standing right next to my car that is slamed on KW coilovers.

I saw another post about waranties that the poster said of course Honda wouldn't replace a CV Joint boot if you had lowered the car ....

It's always nice to get a break.