Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

CTR Starting Issues

Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR Starting Issues

Hey everyone, new user here

I've got an issue with my 2002 Civic Type R related to starting. 60% of the time it starts no problem, however the other 40% not. It could happen at a petrol station or like today after a stall on a busy road (so when hot). It has also happened a few times when cold after work etc. I turn the key to position two, the fuel pump kicks in and the relay clicks, then nothing. could try to start it upto 30 times with no results. There are no engine management lights on the dash either. The only light that comes on is the flashing green key, but that dissappears after the relay clicks.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: CTR Starting Issues

Possibly not much help but that sounds a lot like the common problem with DA integras. Surprised it's on such a new car though. Fix there was to resolder the joints in the main relay, not too tricky. You say the relay clicks though, I don't remember if that happens in DAs with the issue - so it could be something completely different.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There may be something wrong with your key switch or immobilizer.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

Got stranded for two hours tonight as the car wouldn't start. Same thing happening regarding no crank. Managed to get it started after a push/bump start though. What are the best options here??
Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM

I'd recommend checking your starter first, then check to see if you are getting ignition power to the starter solenoid when the car does not start. This will help you start narrowing it down..
Old 01-30-2015, 02:31 PM

Loose connection at the battery? Bad ignition switch?

You should do some checking on your own, OP. Test out some stuff. It's hard to diagnose or fix a car from the internet.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the battery checked, it was dead. So I replaced it and I'm still getting the same problem. The starter motor was replaced 2 months ago by the previous owner so I can't see that being the problem. The engine light came on the dash and gave the code P1298 which appears to be an electric load detector circuit high voltage. Cleared the code and it put the light out.

One thing I did notice was when I turned the key I heard a slight squeaky type noise (not clicking) that may be coming from under the bonnet but I can't identify where or what its coming from.

@B serious - The negative terminal at the battery was a bit loose so I made sure it was correctly tightened. Is there any way that I can test the key switch myself without an expensive bill from Honda?
Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 AM

If your ELD is bad...your alternator won't charge your battery. That...or the loose negative terminal could explain your issue.

Testing the ignition switch can be done using a wiring diagram andz volt meter. You can alternatively "hot wire" the car with the key in the on position to bypass the switch. But you still need a wiring diagram.