Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

2001 Civic Transmission dead after getting fluid changed :/ ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Civic Transmission dead after getting fluid changed :/ ??

Hey everyone.. here's a story, im trying to figure out whats going on here and see how valid this all is.. I have a 4 door automatic 2001 civic base model, and the last few times i had my oil changed different garages have said - u need to get your transmission fluid changed, it was over 100,000km .. last time i went the guy said i was over 25,000km to get it changed and i really should really get it changed. I'm not too familiar with mechanics of a car i just keep asking around for opinions and then i get my own decision out of them..

so problem here is, i had a family member change it. hes done repairs b4 on my car and ive never had a problem, hes actually my brother in law, we're very close.. wouldnt screw me..

So this is what happened.. he changed the transmission fluid, he said he drained it, then flushed the radiator only. He said tomorrow morning come back and we'll see how it is.. driving around i found it would lag whenever it switched into gears, eventually later on in the night, wouldnt switch at all i would be in 1st or reverse and hit the gas and it would be as if i was in neutral.. unfortunately it turns out that the transmission died.

I talked to some other ppl they said theyve had some nightmare experiences also switching the transmission fluid and were told just to never do it but i was told by several mechanics i should get it done i dont understand. so now im getting a used transmission installed.. another person was saying other time the "gunk" in the transmission is what starts to hold things together over time and if u flushed it your pretty much ripping it apart/breaking something.But he drained the fluid/replaced it and flushed the radiator only.. whats happened

basically im posting to see what you guys would think about all this.. was it because i was 25,000km late to get the trans fluid?<manual says 25k> , alot of my friends have told me do not listen to the manual on transfluid ever.. did he do something wrong when switching it? has it happened to anyone before?

thanks
-RobbieJ
Old 10-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 Civic Transmission dead after getting fluid changed :/ ?? (robbiej)

Did he put the right fluid in? IF you put the wrong tranny fluid in it will fuxz0r the tranny but Im suprised it up and died though. If you get the wrong fluid you will most likely get performance issues like hard shifts and maybe slippage.
And yes you MUST replace the fluid just like your oil, only at much longer intervals.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: 2001 Civic Transmission dead after getting fluid changed :/ ?? (Djaric)

Hey thanks for the reply..

He said he used a specific fluid honda fluid for it and that was correct,.. i had to change it at 100,000km and got it changed at 125,000, was it because i had gone over 25k?

i just spent 1000$ cdn and got a new transmission in with only 6000km on it, and already its acting weird its depressing, engine light came on and whenever i slow down to almost a stop the car will shudder for a moment as if it were to stall ....

he told me to give it a week for maybe the computer to learn the new tranny.. is that true or is it bull ? he attached the little computer to it this morning and the trans code came up but thats about it, he shut it off, we drove for a bit, then later when i went home it came back on..