Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

06 (RRB) TSX cams in an 02-06

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 (RBB) TSX cams in an 02-06 a2/z1

Well it was asked by another member about the tsx cams but in another thread that was years old. I'm pretty sure he did some researching and what not but i figure i open up a new thread.

Question:
Would it be benificial to put in 06 RBB cams into an a2/z1 and what would the gains be?

my searching leads me to believe that the 06+ RBB cams are more aggressive then the PRC cams let alone any OEM cam. But would it be benificial with the exhaust RBB cam with intake PRC? Or would it be better to use both RRB cams? From what Hondata is saying it is more benificial for the RRB exhaust cam to be used but it leaves the (RBB) intake cam in the dark.

Cams:

The exhaust cam is bigger on the primaries and secondary lobes than any other Honda made K series cam. The intake has larger primary lobes than any other K series Honda cam and a type R secondary lobe. If you have to use Honda cams, use 06 TSX cams.
http://www.hondata.com/tech_06_tsx.html

The TSX has large primary (low lift lobes) on both the intake and exhaust. These lobes are larger than the RSX-S or ITR. This contributes to good low-end torque. The TSX exhaust camshaft also has a larger secondary lobe than the RSX-S or ITR. This makes the TSX exhaust cam a good candidate for a swap into a naturally aspirated K20A2 engine where stock Honda parts are required - such as in certain Honda race series. The secondary lobe on the intake, however, is smaller than its RSX-S cousin. This makes it a good candidate for replacement - or so we thought - but more on that later.

http://www.hondata.com/tuning_the_tsx.html

This is a very very good question that was brought up by Evil_ryu and now has picked my mind. If anyone has done this please post i'd like to see or know of any gains that you have aquired and what RBB cams are you using, both RBB intake and exhaust or just the exhaust and a different intake like the PRC?

Modified by risktypeS at 8:09 AM 11/2/2007
Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 (RRB) TSX cams in an 02-06 a2/z1 (risktypeS)

i'm tellin' you man, that's why i resurrected that old *** thread.
you ask all the questions scattered in my little brain lol but i think you asked them a whole lot better so i'm glad this thread is up.

it's bugging me so much that i might donate my prc cams to a reputable tuner who has access to '06 tsx cams.

as mentioned in another thread by risktypeS/hondata.com (http://www.hondata.com/kpro0506.html), there were 3 different versions of the prc cams that came in the DC5R, but i'd bet my nextpaycheck no one with a k20a swap knows which version they had, but the differences were probably minimal.

i hope some cam experts chime in, or maybe i'll have time later to bug hondata and they'll actually respond, but we'll see.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 06 (Evil Ryu)

yes it is as well picking at my mind now.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search CRSX, TSX cams are a great upgrade from a2/z1 cams. my friend majinbatusai has them. here's the thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/show...+cams
Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NTCustoms)

thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NTCustoms)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NTCustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search CRSX, TSX cams are a great upgrade from a2/z1 cams. my friend majinbatusai has them. here's the thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/show...+cams</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah yeah yeah LOL
but no one has ever directly dyno'd them against PRC cams, or a variation of let's say the tsx intake cam and the prc exhaust, and see if that creates more hp.
also, the link that you posted shows i believe a k20a2. what about a k20a with .5 more compression? would the more aggressive tsx cams be more of a benefit on that application?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evil Ryu)

this sucks.. i think i'm going to have to test it out on my dollar. I'll prolly just get both tsx cams and the PRC intake cam and see how that goes seems nobody else has done this. Guess this will be my after x-mas present(ssssss).
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (risktypeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by risktypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this sucks.. i think i'm going to have to test it out on my dollar. I'll prolly just get both tsx cams and the PRC intake cam and see how that goes seems nobody else has done this. Guess this will be my after x-mas present(ssssss). </TD></TR></TABLE>

fvckin ay bro i was thinking the same EXACT thing.
i think i'ma run my setup with my prc cams, and save up for a 06 tsx intake cam, and try to come up on a set of used tsx cams just to get the exhaust cam.
my ride might take some time before it's on the road so if you have everything setup and ready to tune and all BUT the prc cams, hit me up mang.
we might have to ride together on this one LOL
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most definately. I'm tinking on going RBB exhaust with PRC intake and then if that doesn't do any "good" yieldings then i'll just throw both RBB cams in. Once i get this done i'll post up but wont be but for a couple of months. Maybe Jan-feb time frame.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

per my gf: "so those rainsticks are better, no?"
Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMFAO.. "Rainsticks"? what she thinking we going to do some indian dance and put those "rainsticks" in our car to make it rain?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol she had me rollin when she said that ****..
Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL if i had a girlfriend who said that i would look at her and laugh then ask her to say that again. Was she listening to Lil Waynes - make it rain? lol
Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol she be sayin the darndest thangs sometimes.
LOL @ make it rain. speaking of making it rain..freakin.."pacman" jones of the tennessee titans..you heard about him and the incident @ Mynx strip club in vegas, right? he was "making it rain" on top of two strippers on stage.. and then the strippers were collecting the money, and homeboy wanted his money back, then he got into it with the bouncers, then outside the drama continued and somebody shot the bouncer, who is now paralyzed. i wonder who shot him hahaha.
that fool threw like 3g's on stage then thought he could get his money back..at a strip club. how you gonna ask for a refund from a stripper? iunno that song just reminds me of that incident.
aite late. lol
Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO how in the world can you ask for a refund from a stripper? Poor quality.. poor service? to bad it don't work that way.. **** i'd go to a strip club and throw dollars around and then ask for a refund cuz they sucked. lol
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by risktypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LMAO how in the world can you ask for a refund from a stripper? Poor quality.. poor service? to bad it don't work that way.. **** i'd go to a strip club and throw dollars around and then ask for a refund cuz they sucked. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF you talkin bout holmes, if they "sucked" then i'd gladly pay
and THEN ask for a refund
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if they sucked...

wouldn't it be an oxymoron if they sucked at blowing?
ok ok.. back to the cams.... lol
Old 11-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey evil_ryu were you planning on supercharging or turboing after changing cams or going all motor?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good post! great info now im looking for some of these RBB cams
Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t-town_ep)

are you going to go boost later down the road or n/a cuz it's kinda the deciding factor of which RBB cams you'd want.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by risktypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey evil_ryu were you planning on supercharging or turboing after changing cams or going all motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah bro just staying all motor.
it would be easier to choose what cams to go with if someone else with experience would chime in LOL...
once things are running..if i ever get extra money i'll compare and dyno and the whole nine..but that day seems so far away...lol
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah true.
for me tho, i eventually want to go boost so i'm finding that in order for me to do that i'm goin to have to go with the RBB intake cam and PRC exhaust cam. I'll prolly get the intake cam here in the next month or begining of next year.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by risktypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah true.
for me tho, i eventually want to go boost so i'm finding that in order for me to do that i'm goin to have to go with the RBB intake cam and PRC exhaust cam. I'll prolly get the intake cam here in the next month or begining of next year. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my guess would be that if the primary lobe on the TSX/RBB exhaust cam is more aggressive, and the secondary/vtec lobe is identical to the one on the PRC exhaust lobe, the TSX primary lobe would promote greater low end power, and the secondary/vtec lobe will carry the same numbers (TSX VS. PRC) in the high end.

i'm only guessing though..and boost ain't my forte. i wish we had more cam gurus up in this b!tch lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all this researching we'll prolly be the cam gurus.. up in this bitch..(at least for OEM spec) lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO the reason why no cam experts will chime in is because cam experts usually wont be wasting their time on researching about oem cams when their are superior cams out there that deserve their attention

anyways 06+ tsx cams BOTH intake and exhaust will make the most power on our NA cars no question, no combo with a prc cam and a tsx will make more power on a NA motor, in this case bigger is better...

my compression is also raised above the stock k20a2, spoon claims the thin head gasket boosts compression up .4 points although .2-.3 is more believable, itr pistons would not fit in my car with the thinner gasket, also gains with the itr pistons would most likely be minimal anyways

my buddy gained 2 hp up top switching from stock to itr cams with a stage 2 cam setup, torque was another story since he swtiched from a dcrh to hytech tho + some other mods, but i would assume the itr piston upgrade didnt help to much

boost is another subject, on supercharger applications from what i have read a 06+ tsx intake cam with a stock a2 exhaust cam would be the best combo of oem cams, but im no expert on this subject

if you are an 05+ owner i wouldnt upgrade to tsx cams, its just not worth the work, time, money for the upgrade difference ~5hp you might as well go for stage 2 cams

so here are some ESTIMATES based on other dyno sheets i have seen
a2 fully bolted on w/ kpro ~205hp
z1 fully bolted on w/ kpro ~210hp
tsx cam'd bolted on kpro ~215hp

^based on dynojet type results

and heres my dyno sheet, my exhaust is choking me...i could easily gain ~5+ hp with a 2.5 exhaust &gt;_&lt;

Quick Reply: 06 (RRB) TSX cams in an 02-06