Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

'02 civic Si fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '02 civic Si fuel economy

Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21
i just bought an ep3 about 6 weeks ago and i changed:
spark plugs to ngk iridiums, oil to 5w20 synthetic, trans fluid w/ honda mtf, tires are 215/60/r15 at 36 psi all around, added 1 bottle of gumout fuel system cleaner and 2 bottles of heet (at different fill-ups) and i have no cat (bought it like that)
i drive about 50% hwy & 50% city and i've only been getting 20-24 mpg
what else can i do?
the car's dropped 2" (maybe more) and weather's been 0-20°F for the past month
could that be a factor?
That does seem pretty low. After i tuned up mine I've been getting 28-30 with split freeway and in town driving.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought an ep3 about 6 weeks ago and i changed:
spark plugs to ngk iridiums, oil to 5w20 synthetic, trans fluid w/ honda mtf, tires are 215/60/r15 at 36 psi all around, added 1 bottle of gumout fuel system cleaner and 2 bottles of heet (at different fill-ups) and i have no cat (bought it like that)
i drive about 50% hwy & 50% city and i've only been getting 20-24 mpg
what else can i do?
the car's dropped 2" (maybe more) and weather's been 0-20°F for the past month
could that be a factor?
One stop using 5w20 oil! Honda stop using it on all Kseries because it cause the cams to start grinding... which equals a lost of power!!!

Also change your air filter that helps big time... same time do the one in the cabin (pollution one)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
One stop using 5w20 oil! Honda stop using it on all Kseries because it cause the cams to start grinding... which equals a lost of power!!!

Also change your air filter that helps big time... same time do the one in the cabin (pollution one)
what weight should i use then? some people say 5w20, some say 5w30
i went with 5w20 cuz that's what honda recommends for the k20a3
i have a k&n short ram on the car, could that be messing up the mpg also?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and weather's been 0-20°F for the past month
could that be a factor?
Yes, this is probably it. Check out this article..

Originally Posted by About.com article

Old Man Winter’s Pinch
So, why exactly does colder weather throw a wrench at most vehicles’ regular fuel economy? Well, there are lots of reasons actually, but friction is a big one. While it's always an issue, cold weather increases friction on almost every front. Most vehicle fluids, from motor oil and transmission fluid to power steering fluid and differential gear oil, are thicker and more resistant to flowing when cold. Translation: Harder to pump, more work for the engine. Another less obvious source of friction is rolling resistance. First of all, cold temperatures lower the pressure in your vehicle’s tires by 1 to 2 PSI for every 10 degrees that the temperature plummets. Secondly, when the weather turns foul, vehicles must work harder to push through snow and slush. Both of these conditions equal greater rolling resistance and more fuel used to cover the same distance. Add to that the fact that gasoline doesn’t atomize and burn as well in cold temperatures; trace amounts of unburned fuel are left in the cylinder and evacuated with the exhaust. Yes, it’s a double-whammy. Not only does that unburned fuel equal lost power, it also substantially increases your vehicle’s emissions. But that’s not all—throw in heavy use of the heater, winter gas formulations and short trips to and fro, and it’s a recipe for pain at the pump.

What’s Happening under that Hood
All vehicles have an optimum operating temperature, and the colder it is, the longer it takes to get there. While modern engines make very efficient use of the fuel mixture entering the engine, they rely upon the oxygen sensor to monitor the O2 content of the exhaust, as well as sensors for manifold pressure, mass air flow, throttle position, and coolant temperature, among others. All of this information is communicated to the vehicle’s computer that continually adjusts ignition and valve timing as well as fuel injector pulse width, to fine tune the amount of fuel delivered to each cylinder. This is done many times per second. But here’s the caveat—this engine-management system is only at tip-top efficiency when the engine is at full operating temperature. And when the mercury’s showing low, all vehicles require longer periods of time to reach that full operating temperature—and it’s in that warm-up period that efficiency is lost.
Add to that the common practice of making short trips (to minimize running to and fro in sub-zero temps and wind chills), and each time your vehicle cools down it has to come back up to optimal operating temperature. It all takes its toll.

Bottom Line: Here are the Tips

That’s right. We’re not here to bring on an even worse case of SAD (Seasonal Adjustment Disorder). We believe in being proactive and taking the bull by the horns … well, you get the idea. Anyway, here are some quick and easy ways to minimize the dip that your vehicle’s fuel mileage takes in the winter months:
  • Check your tire air pressure monthly—and keep it in the recommended range. Even if you don’t have an air compressor, you can invest in a tire-checking gauge and then swing in to the gas station. That’s five minutes that can save more than $5/month.
  • Plan your trips ahead of time—and do all your errands in one area at one time. By minimizing the stop-and-start, sporadic on-and-off operation of your vehicle in sub-zero temperatures, you’ll not only save time, you’ll minimize the amount of time your vehicle spends in warm-up mode.
  • Go easy on the accelerator. We can all take this advice. And it’s easily worth 1-2 mpg. Avoid jack rabbit starts and heavy motor-down mama driving. The guy in front of you will appreciate it—and the results will show up on your next fuel bill; plus, it might help prevent a wipe-out on black ice.
  • When possible, park your vehicle in a garage to keep it warmer, thereby shortening the time needed to reach full operating temperature.
  • Consider a block heater, an oil pan heating pad or a fuel heater for cars parked outside in frigid parts of the country; the initial expense will be recouped many times in added fuel efficiency.
http://alternativefuels.about.com/od...erfuelecon.htm

You've done everything else as far as maintenance but you might want to check valve lash for adjustment as well depending on mileage.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Trial User

thats shitty sorry to hear
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
im gonna need to see proof on this!

because if honda set bearing clearances for a lighter weight oil, switching to a heavier weight could cause premature bearing failure. now, if what you say is true, then it looks like the a3 motor is f*cked all the way around. you risk either head/cam failure or bearing failure.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so should i use 5w20 or 5w30 next oil change?