Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

What is up with the market for nsx's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What is up with the market for nsx's?

Nsx's have been a car i've really wanted to own for a while. Within the year I will be able to buy one. I'm doing some research for now on common issues, etc etc. My question is what is up with the sellers of these cars? The market is so rediculous just looking at it. Some people are asking x3 the amount for a 1991 as a 2001, 1992's 10k higher than a 1995, you get the picture. It doesn't seem like there is ANY structure to these for sale adds. I find it strange because I use to see 91-93's around the price of 20-25k, yet now they are all 30's, some 40's etc. Curious what you guys have picked your nsx up for and what a fair price for an early model would be.

Canada's are typically 10k higher, I would be flying to the US to buy one and driving it back up. Already know all the costs associated with one. I'm looking at about 3k extra on top of the selling price.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is up with the market for nsx's?

Supply and demand really.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
Nsx's have been a car i've really wanted to own for a while. Within the year I will be able to buy one. I'm doing some research for now on common issues, etc etc. My question is what is up with the sellers of these cars? The market is so rediculous just looking at it. Some people are asking x3 the amount for a 1991 as a 2001, 1992's 10k higher than a 1995, you get the picture. It doesn't seem like there is ANY structure to these for sale adds. I find it strange because I use to see 91-93's around the price of 20-25k, yet now they are all 30's, some 40's etc. Curious what you guys have picked your nsx up for and what a fair price for an early model would be.

Canada's are typically 10k higher, I would be flying to the US to buy one and driving it back up. Already know all the costs associated with one. I'm looking at about 3k extra on top of the selling price.

Look around on NSXPrime to get a feel for what the cars cost. The cost is primarily based on condition, service history, mileage (to some degree), and whether the car has been wrecked.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
I find it strange because I use to see 91-93's around the price of 20-25k, yet now they are all 30's, some 40's etc. Curious what you guys have picked your nsx up for and what a fair price for an early model would be..
Really depends on the condition of those cars. A lot of the lower prices you are quoting are either high mileage, salvaged title, or just in bad shape.

I would think a 91-93 in the 50k mile range should still be able to get the low 30's

There really isn't anything cheap about an NSX. If you hoping to pick one up cheap expect to pay for it somewhere else.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been looking too. low 30's seems to be the norm now on 91-94's. higher for later years.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad (I know, a DAD story...) has had four NSX's. The thing about buying them is to not be afraid of looking out of state for a purchase. I'm not exactly a kid (29) so I know that a lot of people are putting ridiculous prices on their cars to chase away people who are either 1) Young or 2) Not serious/tire kickers. If you show genuine interest and don't seem like you aren't serious they will be open to negotiations. If the owner is an older guy (probable) he won't really take a younger guy seriously unless he knows his $hit and shows he wants to buy. Long story short (kinda?) my old man has only paid the listing's price on an NSX once and it was a super low mileage '98 retaining a warranty...from a dealer.

Also...Don't "Honda-Tech Style" low ball...make a reasonable offer based on what you believe to be fair on current market prices.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzukaBlueS2K
My dad (I know, a DAD story...) has had four NSX's. The thing about buying them is to not be afraid of looking out of state for a purchase. I'm not exactly a kid (29) so I know that a lot of people are putting ridiculous prices on their cars to chase away people who are either 1) Young or 2) Not serious/tire kickers. If you show genuine interest and don't seem like you aren't serious they will be open to negotiations. If the owner is an older guy (probable) he won't really take a younger guy seriously unless he knows his $hit and shows he wants to buy. Long story short (kinda?) my old man has only paid the listing's price on an NSX once and it was a super low mileage '98 retaining a warranty...from a dealer.

Also...Don't "Honda-Tech Style" low ball...make a reasonable offer based on what you believe to be fair on current market prices.
I have been selling cars for a living for many years. This is why this car is blowing my mind on how the market is structured, or should I say lack of structure? I'm searching out of country at this point. Nothing has really jumped out at me yet so i'm putting this on the back burner.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this car wont go down in price. the car is rare enough that sellers can easily get what they ask for. theyre usually older and more financially stable enough to not be desperate enough to sell at a steal.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There will never be any rhyme or reason behind a sellers pricing nor any market consistency (especially in the early 90's models). I was perplexed by the same questions you have when I was looking for mine.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just think of it as an entrance fee to an exclusive club, lol....

Seriously, the prices for the low mileage 91-93 is very close to the 97-01, mainly because it was a lighter and a coupe.

Purists and collectors often aspire to have the coupes as they are the original NSX.

I happen to have had a 1998 3.2 6sp targa, and now have a 93 3.0 5sp coupe...I like the coupe better too...
Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW, I'll probably list my 00 at 46k. I don't know if that will be this year or next but I'm 99% sure that I'm not going to keep it forever.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I gladly accept the fact they are so expensive, keeps the average joe/ricer from owning them and adds to the mystique.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The '95-'96 are kind of the stepchilds in the NSX community. No 3.2L. No 6 speed. Heavier less stiff targa (about 100lbs). Better stock diff than earlier models though (torque control to torque reactive).

The market is a bit manic. The price variances likely have to do with condition and mileage. I paid 35k for mine 10 years ago and turned down 60k 2 years ago. Albeit, it includes a few mods now.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ponyboy
The '95-'96 are kind of the stepchilds in the NSX community. No 3.2L. No 6 speed. Heavier less stiff targa (about 100lbs). Better stock diff than earlier models though (torque control to torque reactive).

The market is a bit manic. The price variances likely have to do with condition and mileage. I paid 35k for mine 10 years ago and turned down 60k 2 years ago. Albeit, it includes a few mods now.
Holy crap, 3.6 stroker? If I ever end up seeing engine failure (which I doubt), then that's the route I'm going.

I decided to pull my car off the market, while I did get some offers very close to my asking I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it even if I may miss opportunities in the meantime, the car is just way to friggen cool and I know I may never be able to get another 2000/2001 at a decent price again.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really depends on the condition and the DOCUMENTABLE maintenance that has been done to the car, based on the year and modifications (good or bad) that have been done to the car. Remember, there fewer of them every month than the month before.

Brad
Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsoltech
I gladly accept the fact they are so expensive, keeps the average joe/ricer from owning them and adds to the mystique.
Someone who understands the concept of a small pc of the NSX group selling point. I have had some tire kickers and hate to say it all have been young. NO offense to those younger folks who are quite knowledgeable and have asked excellent questions prior to buying or inquiring.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

back on topic. honestly its just like any other market the prices will vary and it seems to me that currently the average is about 30k for a decent mid year nsx with decent mileage.

im probably selling my s2k to get one.. still waiting to see if he will come down some before i commit to selling my child D:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by synergy004
Someone who understands the concept of a small pc of the NSX group selling point. I have had some tire kickers and hate to say it all have been young. NO offense to those younger folks who are quite knowledgeable and have asked excellent questions prior to buying or inquiring.
I think a lot of young kids expect to see the NSX depreciate like a civic or an accord. What they fail to realize is the majority of the depreciation already accured. They are now at a pretty steady state on price. The other thing I have seen is people think that if they convince themselves the car is worth less that seller will agree with them

Usually the NSX's in the 20's have issues and they are priced that way for a reason. If that's what your looking for that is fine. But don't get upset when you offer someone $25k and they laugh at you. Anyone that has done any amount of searching knows what the car is worth. When it comes time to sell the seller already knows how difficult it is to find one in good condition because they put in a lot of work when they bought it.

You also have to question your goals. There really is no such thing as a "cheap" NSX. Potential buyers tend to forget it was a $70k-90k car, parts are priced accordingly. Even if you do the work yourself you will still spend a fortune on parts.

If you finally find one for what you want to pay, remember the amount of work you put in when it comes time to sell. Because I guarantee you will get the next guy in line trying to convince you about what he thinks your car should be priced at
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
I think a lot of young kids expect to see the NSX depreciate like a civic or an accord. What they fail to realize is the majority of the depreciation already accured. They are now at a pretty steady state on price. The other thing I have seen is people think that if they convince themselves the car is worth less that seller will agree with them

Usually the NSX's in the 20's have issues and they are priced that way for a reason. If that's what your looking for that is fine. But don't get upset when you offer someone $25k and they laugh at you. Anyone that has done any amount of searching knows what the car is worth. When it comes time to sell the seller already knows how difficult it is to find one in good condition because they put in a lot of work when they bought it.

You also have to question your goals. There really is no such thing as a "cheap" NSX. Potential buyers tend to forget it was a $70k-90k car, parts are priced accordingly. Even if you do the work yourself you will still spend a fortune on parts.

If you finally find one for what you want to pay, remember the amount of work you put in when it comes time to sell. Because I guarantee you will get the next guy in line trying to convince you about what he thinks your car should be priced at
Very true statement! I purchased my 91 4 years ago with tasteful mods, Exhaust, Volk TE37's, JDM airbag, Navi, ect. Only 44,000 miles. I bought the car in november (IMO they are seasonal cars) for 27K. I haven't really driven the car much. Under 46,000 on it currently. I Did a feeler thread on Prime and it's sad yet almost comical at the tire kicking low ball offers you get. If a seller has there car listed at a specific price, then that is what they're saying the car is worth to them. If you don't think so then move on to the next car. I had one guy offer less then half of what I was asking because he said he will pay in cash:/ wow really!?

IMO these car's are starting to go up in value because of the small number of NSX's remaining. So the better shape it's in the more it's going to be worth. Sorry there is no real point to my post just saw this and wanted to rant.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It cracks me up when people want a 20-30% or more discount because of a "cash" offer. What are you, a friggin' drug dealer? Go to your bank and get a certified check if you want the car.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It cracks me up when people want a 20-30% or more discount because of a "cash" offer. What are you, a friggin' drug dealer? Go to your bank and get a certified check if you want the car.
Ya that line gets me too. I always tell them sorry I'm only accepting food stamps at this time. Just a tip Ponyboy I wouldn't accept a certified check without going to the bank with them. The second you sign the title over to them if its a scamed check you are SOL. You can't report the car stolen because they have the title. You have to sue them to get your money and that can be a pita. It happened with a friend of mine on a much cheaper car. He sold it to a manager at a Lexus dealer thinking it was safe. The checked came back no good and the guy skipped town. My friend wrote it off as a loss. He would have had to hire someone to track him down and serve him. And even if he won there was no gurantee he would get his money. Luckily this was only a $4k loss for him.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by md23vtec
Very true statement! I purchased my 91 4 years ago with tasteful mods, Exhaust, Volk TE37's, JDM airbag, Navi, ect. Only 44,000 miles. I bought the car in november (IMO they are seasonal cars) for 27K.
a 91 with 44k for $27k you can't feel to bad that's a damn good deal. I wouldn't have budged on my price either. I have a funny story.

We were selling our 98 toyota tacoma on autotrader. I entered all the information into auto trader describing a 98 tacoma. There is an optional section where you can enter the vin number. I had the wife read off the number from one of our insurance cards. Ad went live and I figured I get a few calls since I listed it for $11k (this was 5 years ago).

I was FLOODED with calls mostly from kids. It just so happened she gave me the NSX vin. So I guess when you enter the vin it doesn't go by what you manually entered. It goes by the information it was able to pull up by the vin. So a bunch of people were calling asking if the 94 NSX was still for sale for $11k. I got annoyed after a while and started telling people I just sold it for $8k. You could hear the excitement leave their voice hahaha
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As someone who has wanted an NSX for 20 years, I used to get frustrated through the years that the '91-'93 NSXs seem to have never dipped in value. They were stuck in the mid 20's book for at least 12 years. Only now do the '91 models book at just under $20k but anyone who has taken good care of their early model NSX is NOT selling one for anywhere close to that. Its kind of like the '93-'95 RX7's that book at almost nothing, but good luck finding a "good" example for anything under $20k (more than 2x book).

My financial situation finally hit "adult" status and I was finally able to afford an NSX. Ended up going with a '97 and I'm actually glad it took me so long...worth the wait.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO! I ran into that when selling my M3, I told one guy that exact thing "I'm not a drug dealer and the medium of currency doesn't phase me"

Congrats Teej! Can't wait to see pics.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your lucky if you find one for sale in the KBB price range. it is def true that ppl want crazy amounts for these cars. I luv em and always wanted one to but will never pay 25 and 30Gs for a early 90's model. Thats crazy.

Quick Reply: What is up with the market for nsx's?