Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

Buying a 96 NSX-T...a few questions. costly DD?

Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 96 NSX-T...a few questions. costly DD?

alright, ive been strongly considering picking up an NSX-T, like a 96, because anything newer i cant afford.

i read the NSX sticky about all the info on the NSX, but still want some live answers

questions:

is it really 2k to replace a timing belt at 60k?

how expensive is it to maintain the NSX if i want to DD it?

do i really have to go to acura and spend 100 bucks for an oil change?

anything vital i should know about the NSX before considering buying one and selling my type R?

are parts really pricy on the NSX? like if i had to replace the clutch, or do break pads or rotors?

thanks

all info greatly appreciated
Old 06-14-2005, 04:06 PM
ak

Default Re: Buying a 96 NSX-T...a few questions. costly DD? (Azcheron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
is it really 2k to replace a timing belt at 60k?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, it's more like $1200 to do Timing belt and water pump.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how expensive is it to maintain the NSX if i want to DD it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not that expensive if everything has been maintainted well up to this point.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
do i really have to go to acura and spend 100 bucks for an oil change?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, I pay $20 at the dealer for filter and labor. I bring in my own oil.

anything vital i should know about the NSX before considering buying one and selling my type R?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not sure what you mean

are parts really pricy on the NSX? like if i had to replace the clutch, or do break pads or rotors?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Most performance parts are expensive. Regular wear items like brake pads/rotors are relatively inexpensive.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying a 96 NSX-T...a few questions. costly DD? (ak)

thanks

any more feedback?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm sure you can get more feedback at http://www.nsxprime.com
Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 AM
El Chico

Default Re: Buying a 96 NSX-T...a few questions. costly DD? (Nishant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nishant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm sure you can get more feedback at http://www.nsxprime.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

he's already been there. He mentions it in his post.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Buying a 96 NSX-T...a few questions. costly DD? (Knightsport)

its still a honda dude. Im sure they are reliable as all hell, and pretty damn simple to do basic maintenance on ur self.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default ak is a punk, but he did answer all your questions

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any more feedback?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ak pretty much covered it.

If you want prices of specific parts look them up on a site like Sunnyside Acura’s Part Dept. For aftermarket (as well as some certain stock parts), there’s Science of Speed and Dali Racing.

BTW: I’ve never heard of anyone paying $100 for an oil change. Where on Earth did you hear this from? Changing the oil on my NSX is much easier than on my Civic.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it really 2k to replace a timing belt at 60k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. As previously mentioned, it's typically $1200-1400 to replace the timing belt and water pump. And the recommended interval for that service is not 60K; it's 90K or 6 years (whichever comes first) on the '91-96, 105K or 7 years on the '97-05.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how expensive is it to maintain the NSX if i want to DD it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can figure out all the prices yourself. You can find the typical cost of routine maintenance in the FAQ under Maintenance - Cost. Find the cost of tires on the Tire Rack website. Figure front tires last 10-15K miles and rear tires 4-8K miles if you use the sticky, great-handling OEM tires with the recommended alignment settings, and maybe 50 percent more than that if you use harder, longer-lasting tires and you reduce the rear toe to preserve tire life at the expense of handling. Typical gas mileage is consistent with the EPA estimates of 19 mpg city and 24 in mixed and highway driving (although you can get 29-31 mpg on a long trip... and 7-9 mpg on the track ). Call your insurance agent/company to find out how much insurance costs. (It's quite possible it costs less than your ITR.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do i really have to go to acura and spend 100 bucks for an oil change?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. Any competent mechanic can change the oil. It takes 5.3 quarts of oil, and the Honda filter lists for $14. $30-35 is a typical price for an oil change with conventional oil, $45-65 with full synthetic.

However, if you DO go to the dealer, most dealers don't stock synthetic 10W30 oil (that's the recommended viscosity) but will be happy to use your oil if you bring it with you. Like ak's, my dealer typically charges me around $20-25 for the change and filter, using a case of 10W30 Mobil 1 I buy at Costco or Sam's Club for around $25.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anything vital i should know about the NSX before considering buying one and selling my type R?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Be prepared for lots of attention. And some people may judge you based on your car.

You can use any competent independent mechanic (or do it yourself) for routine services like oil changes, tires, brake pads, fluid changes, etc. For more complicated services (clutch replacement, timing belt replacement, valve adjustment, etc), you want to find a place that does a lot of NSX service work, so you're not paying for someone's learning curve. Some cities have independent mechanics that specialize in NSX service work, some dealers do a lot of NSX service work (and some dealers don't - beware). Where do you live?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Azcheron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are parts really pricy on the NSX? like if i had to replace the clutch, or do break pads or rotors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some parts are expensive, others aren't. Clutch jobs usually run around $2000-2200 (including parts and labor) for a '91-96, and more for a '97-05.

If you used aftermarket brake pads on your ITR, you can use the same front pads on the NSX, so they're the same price. (I like the Cobalt GT Sport pads, and use them on both cars.)