Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed?

yeah i had AMSoil on my motor and i was on highway and i checked oil level and it was more than half way down from the first dot from the dip stick.

so i didnt wanna run with no oil and i put two littler of Non synthetic oil and i checked again later.. the oil is too much..

what could happen if i have synthetic and non synthetic oils mixed?

and what happends if the oil's over filled?

Old 06-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (itr1244)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what could happen if i have synthetic and non synthetic oils mixed? &lt;---No harm done. synthetic oils are designed to work with nonsynthetic oils.

and what happends if the oil's over filled? &lt;---From what I read in one of the tech note somewhere, it may cause the oil pump to fail prematurely. Keep in mind though, this is if you drive your car this way for a long perious of time.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-15-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (CW-ITR)

i don't think with most current oils synthetic or non synthetic mixing is an issue correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it was a smidge down and you added 2 quarts? Why? Anyways, that's water under the bridge I suppose...

What would happen? You'd get a synthetic blend...makes sense right? I hope you at least used the same manufacterers.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (itr1244)

Sounds like you smoked too much w33d.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (Mugen Mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen Mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you smoked too much w33d.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.. probably man.

so.. it should be ok to drive around in town for a while?

Old 06-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Too much oil can blow seals and or cause foaming of the oil= not good. Drain a little out, takes all of 5 minutes
Old 06-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (GRAVEDIGGER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Too much oil can blow seals and or cause foaming of the oil= not good. Drain a little out, takes all of 5 minutes</TD></TR></TABLE>

just what I was thinking. But change the oil as soon as you can
Old 06-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (YellowKahuna)

change the oil as soon as you can

Old 06-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (Mugen Mike)

alrite.. i will do that. thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

While your question was answered, here's how to avoid this problem next time.

As you know, there are two dots (holes, actually) on the dipstick. (Some brands of cars use notches instead of holes.) The distance between those two holes is exactly one quart. Therefore, the next time, if you see that the oil level is halfway between the two holes, that means you can add HALF a quart and it should be at the level of the top hole, not overfilled.

Many brands of oil these days come in plastic bottles which have a thin stripe down the side, and the stripe is slightly translucent, so you can see the level of the oil inside the container. This will help you know when you have poured half a quart out of the bottle.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (nsxtasy)

hey thanks alot.

when i checked my oil level when the car's not cooled down. it was around here

now it's like double the length of "length between holes"

Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long did you wait after shutting the engine down and before you check the oil?
Old 06-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (DutchITR1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DutchITR1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How long did you wait after shutting the engine down and before you check the oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.. like 5 minutes.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.. like 5 minutes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that's what the owner's manual tells you to do, too...
Old 06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While your question was answered, here's how to avoid this problem next time.

As you know, there are two dots (holes, actually) on the dipstick. (Some brands of cars use notches instead of holes.) The distance between those two holes is exactly one quart. Therefore, the next time, if you see that the oil level is halfway between the two holes, that means you can add HALF a quart and it should be at the level of the top hole, not overfilled.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just an FYI, all Hondas are not this way. I found out the hard way on a D16a6. Had to end up draining some back out.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:27 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (Todd00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just an FYI, all Hondas are not this way. I found out the hard way on a D16a6. Had to end up draining some back out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought all Hondas (heck, all cars) are this way. How does it work on a D16A6? Heck, what is a D16A6?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:44 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought all Hondas (heck, all cars) are this way. How does it work on a D16A6? Heck, what is a D16A6?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I am 95% sure that all honda's are this way.

Hey looking at the picture above, my oil exceeds the top circle by about a half of a quart. Does this mean I am a halfway over? IF so, is this that bad?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

A D16a6 is a Civic Ex engine I believe... SOHC VTEC... and i do believe that on my buddies D16a6, his dipstick reads a quart between the two dots also. Not 100% sure, but when its low he puts in about the same 1/2 a quart to get it between the two dots.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it should be fine as far as level goes.. change it if you like.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:47 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed? (dohcVTEChatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey looking at the picture above, my oil exceeds the top circle by about a half of a quart. Does this mean I am a halfway over? IF so, is this that bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone?

Reason why I ask is because I am not sure if it is supposed to be in between the dots or if its alright beeing over the two dots a half or full qt. over?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:21 PM

the most you wan be over IF any i maybe a 1/4 quart
Old 06-15-2004, 08:24 PM
I said I don't want a title!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

D16a6 = oem Honda motor in a 88-91 CRX Si/Civic Si.

The oil level was just below the first dot. I threw a quart in the motor and it ended up well above the top dot. Well above.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleepnCiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepnCiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the most you wan be over IF any i maybe a 1/4 quart</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can anyone verify this to be accurate, b/c my car is too low to change the oil and since I am at college I dont have a nice garge to do it in. So I let the shop I go to do the oil change. I do it right before 2,000 miles and supply them with a new honda filter w/washer every time. I am always about a half to whole qt. above the second dot and never had issues with my car.

Anyone?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dohcVTEChatch)

mixing the two oils is not bad it just causes the synth. oil to lose all / most of its properties
ie you just waisted your money on buying expensive oil and having the caricteristics of cheap oil........... good job

Quick Reply: What happens if engine oil over filled and synthetic and non synthetic mixed?