Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Varis DC2 wide body kit in the works... I think

Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Varis DC2 wide body kit in the works... I think

Varis Reimagines The DC2 Integra - Speedhunters

Picture is from Tokyo Auto Salon 2017. I checked the Varis website and there's nothing on it yet though...

I always thought E30M3 like fender flares would look good on the Type R body -- this is exactly what I envisioned..... Probably could fit 9" wide rims under these -- only problem is selection of 16-17" tires in that width

Old 01-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Varis DC2 wide body kit in the works... I think

I shoulda known...JDM front end. But still a Great Idea for either version...BUT if this is to truly be a good idea there's something else I think should be considered.

What's the purpose of the wide body kit (leaving aside visual aesthetics)? Wider track, more rubber, go faster.

What problem does that all exacerbate? Torque steer. Filling out that additional fender width will increase the wheel/tire clearance to the upright unnecessarily and correspondingly increase the hub level offset between the tire centerline and the steering axis. That offset must be held to a minimum, the more so as horsepower is increased. The new Civic Type-R with it's Revo-Knuckle style front strut tells you how important Honda thinks this stuff is. I know, I know, double a-arm blah blah blah...in either, Any, case that offset must be held to a minimum or drivability and feel are degraded.

The companion parts for a well executed wide body kit must include: longer half-shafts, tie rods, and upper and lower control arms.

This whole package would Not be cheap, but it would be Really Nice. Most of us using good tires reach the point where we're pretty close to unloading the inside front enough to compromise diff performance and find the edge of the envelope in which these cars are pleasing to drive. Adding a few inches to the front track would be Great!

Scott, whose state of mental health is delicately balanced by the lightness of his wallet...<Closing Eyes Now - Don't Want to Know>... Thanks ALOT Jonathan!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RR98ITR
The companion parts for a well executed wide body kit must include: longer half-shafts, tie rods, and upper and lower control arms.
wouldnt the most simple solution just be wheel spacers?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mayfly
wouldnt the most simple solution just be wheel spacers?
Yes...that would be "the most simple solution"

Scott, who appreciates simple cost effective solutions...Love them in fact...but that ain't one I'd advise for anything other than hard parking...
Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In terms of what a fender flare kit could look like on a DC chassis I think they did a pretty good job. I prefer the blistered fender look like on the Rywire ITR over a bolt on type though. Those TE37V wheels are 16x9 according to superstreet but I haven't seen an offset mentioned anywhere yet. I'm all for more traction and a wider stance but this one is too mexipoke for me.

I thought you could fit a 9" wheel with your current set-up no? What are your CE28N specs again?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sort of on the ricer borderline.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion, this kit doesn't work that well with the DC2 chassis. I feel like the flares are too square with sharp lines and cuts. The DC2 chassis isn't round by any means, but it isn't 80s-boxy either. The E30 M3 was boxier, and these lines flow better on that car in comparison to this.

Originally Posted by PaulMc
Sort of on the ricer borderline.
In a way, rice is coming back. Big wings and body kits are a lot more popular now than they were a decade ago.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prakhash
In my opinion, this kit doesn't work that well with the DC2 chassis. I feel like the flares are too square with sharp lines and cuts. The DC2 chassis isn't round by any means, but it isn't 80s-boxy either. The E30 M3 was boxier, and these lines flow better on that car in comparison to this.

In a way, rice is coming back. Big wings and body kits are a lot more popular now than they were a decade ago.
I agree...the front of the USDM DC2 is subtle and exquisite...in fact, the simple blister flares (like Jonathan currently has) aren't bad looking at all...but there's a limit to how wide you can go with them before that becomes less true.

Scott, who has always found a very small percentage of the ricey stuff to be useful and tolerable in appearance...it almost hurts to look for such among such...
Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are now officially called #tracklife

Originally Posted by prakhash

Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lunatictokyo
They are now officially called #tracklife
Haha.