Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Transferring my vin tags to new block...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring my vin tags to new block...

Getting ready to replace the long block on my R and one of the things I was wondering is....how do I transfer my vin tags to the new block? Can I order new ones from the factory with the block? Do I have to reuse the old ones? Needless to say that I would not like drilling the rivets out of my old block and reattaching the the tag to the new block. Does anyone know how this should work? Thanks guys!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (REDTOPAlchemy)

Are you replacing the motor with a motor from Honda? If so why transfer Vin's? Just keep the papers on you so cops don't harass you.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (civicflnum1)

Yes, I would be getting the motor from Honda. Even so...how can I prove the motor is legit if it has no VIN tags? Even if I carry the papers on me, what connects the papers to the motor?
Old 10-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The block itself has numbers (sequence numbers) under where the "B18C5" or whatever is. From what I know, when you buy a block from a dealership, that sequence number will be on the receipt.

Don't try to take your green VIN tag off and putting it onto the new block. The green tags scratch easily, and cops may harass you for that if they see scratches.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (Incognito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Incognito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't try to take your green VIN tag off and putting it onto the new block. The green tags scratch easily, and cops may harass you for that if they see scratches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand. However, what am I going to do you the old block? I can't keep it in my living rooma nd there no room in the garage. I don't want to sell it with the vin tags. Can I remove the old tags and keep them safe and sell the block to a friend or something?
Old 10-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to know also ? how to change it
Old 10-02-2004, 02:31 PM

So why exactly are you so paranoid about the vin number? If you sell the engine to your friend and for some reason the cops ever get suspecious about the vin tags, it isn't that hard for him to say where he got the block from and have the cops check it out with you. As far as your end, if you do get hastled by cops, inspection stations, etc.. it's going to look a whole lot more shady if you have a busted up, falsified vin tag on your engine than just showing your reciept.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (SLCTyper)

Well dude if the cops harass you just tell them its a factory replacement and factory replacement blocks don't come with Vin's....then show them the papers from Honda that say you have a factory replacement motor. BTW you have a type-r with a b18c5...im sure if you tell them its the stock motor they wont harass you....they will only bother you if you tell them you swapped it.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REDTOPAlchemy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand. However, what am I going to do you the old block? I can't keep it in my living rooma nd there no room in the garage. I don't want to sell it with the vin tags. Can I remove the old tags and keep them safe and sell the block to a friend or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you won't drive with a block without a VIN tag, but you want to remove the VIN tags prior to selling the block to a friend? It just doesn't make sense.

Bottom line, the VIN tag goes with the engine. It should stay on it even if you sell it. A replacement engine doesn't have the tag and shouldn't have one transplanted onto it. IMO, if you were worried about it, you should have rebuilt the original block instead of getting a new one.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (JeffS)

is this a HOW TO for thieves who want to make motors look legit?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (w@@t w@@t)

woot woot
Old 10-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w@@t w@@t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this a HOW TO for thieves who want to make motors look legit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great...I knew someone was gonna pop that sooner or later. Okay. Lemme see if I can clarify. I want to retain my old VIN tags if possible to put them on the new block. I would have the old block rebuilt but its not that simple, the hole that holds one of the bolts for the engine brace was stripped out and I want to replace the block. I really don't like the idea of my VIN tags floating around the market in with someone else. I don't have a problem with explaining to police why my VIN tags are scratched if I'm holding the title that has the same VIN on it. Is it really that hard to remove the old tags without damaging them?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look, the real way to do it is to bring the thing to the dealership and let them know your situation. From what I know, the 2 gold bolts that hold the green VIN tag to the block are special ones where the heads break off when tight. What U see there on your block is actually only half the bolts. The dealership has tools that can take that off, and they have access to new bolts. I don't think they will sell you those bolts though. They may do it for you.

I could be wrong....
Old 10-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not only is it illegal in many states (huge fines, etc) but if you had cut it off and just sold the motor without the vin, only buyers you will find are those of the shady type.

but do whatever the hell you want. its your motor, just be aware the cops might be knocking at your door if your buyer is ever pulled over.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w@@t w@@t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not only is it illegal in many states (huge fines, etc) but if you had cut it off and just sold the motor without the vin, only buyers you will find are those of the shady type.

but do whatever the hell you want. its your motor, just be aware the cops might be knocking at your door if your buyer is ever pulled over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the advice guys...
Old 10-02-2004, 05:38 PM

wow, now i know how hard it would be to explain to my grandma that she DOESNT need to transfer tags from her old r motor to her new r motor,
if you said your old motor was being rebuilt didnt you? (maybe i read it wrong?)
if the vin on y our block is floating around in another car and a cop sees it nothing will happen unless your car is reported stolen,
Old 10-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I 'll take your old block

&lt;-----------------------(raises hand).
Old 10-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The correct method of doing this is by going to your Motor vehicles office and having an inspection unit restamp your longblock with the VIN# of your vehicle. This is the only way you can be assured that all is gravy from whomevers shoes you are in.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w@@t w@@t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this a HOW TO for thieves who want to make motors look legit?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ya **** off *******
Old 10-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Ill
Honda-Tech Member

I'd try Honda and the DMV to cover your bases.

However, don't take the VIN tags off or mess with them - Sell the block with them.

Make sure your motor reciept from Honda has the block serial #. Laminate a copy to go with your insurance card, and carry it with you. You can always black out any personal info on it that you don't want seen, using a marker.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transferring my vin tags to new block... (b19coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b19coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I 'll take your old block

&lt;-----------------------(raises hand).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...I'll be sure to ship it to you free of charge.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:10 AM

haha whoever asked this question on honda-tech really think we are that stupid. notr me ****