Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Tools for your R

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools for your R

Ok.. I've never owned an impact wrench before, so excuse my ignorance.
Another 50,000 miles and it'll be time for a timing belt change. I don't want to be stuck unbolting that pesky crank pulley bolt that everyone has talked about. At the same time, I want to make it as easy as possible. I'll be doing a minime swap this year on my newly acquired Civic, so I can practice on that, but
I'm not quite sure what kind of impact wrench to get. I'm planning to get an electric impact wrench since its cheaper. If I get one that maxes out at 145 ft-lbs, will that be enough to free the pulley bolt? Or should I get the one that's maxes out at 217 ft-lbs? Do these things have a **** to adjust the torque setting? I've been researching, but the websites don't really say. I don't want to get an impact wrency that puts out 217 ft-lbs and risk breaking the bolt when I tighten it back up.

Please help me o tool gurus!
Old 01-11-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Tools for your R (arren123)

i dont think an electric will loosen the crank bolt...my 14volt snapon wont...
some 1/2 guns can barely get it off...having a good compressor also helps...
i think your money would be better invested in some good hand tools..once you have got a good set, then start to buy pneumatics..

you cant adjust the torque settig on an electric either..
Old 01-11-2002, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tools for your R (EPGONZALEZ)

I already have a set of hand tools. 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" socket and box wrenches, a 3/8" torque wrench, etc.. I don't have a 1/2" torque wrench yet. So I guess I'll need to buy one to at least torque the bolt back up somehow. Is there any chance of breaking a 1/2" torque wrench if I use it as a breaker bar? I definitely don't want to use my socket wrench and break it,

When I said electric impact wrench, I meant the ones that plug into your standard home electric socket. You think those will get it off? I'm talking about the so called heavy duty wrenches.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:12 PM

no...never use your torque wrench to back off anythig...the only time you would use it in reverse is when torque down something with left handed threads..

breaker bars are pretty cheap..moroso makes a good crank pulley breaker bar as well..
Old 01-12-2002, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oops.. I already used the torque wrench to take off some overtorqued lug nuts. The damn dealer didn't use a torque wrench, it took more than 100+ ft-lbs to take it off. First, I tried my torque wrench and I pushed so hard that just ended up twisting the 3" extension in my 19 mm socket. The nut didn't want to budge. I finally took the tire iron (which I should have used in the first place ) and stepped my entire weight into it (I was only around 136 lbs at the time) and it finnally came free. I thought I broke the stud, but it was the sound of the nut coming off.

Old 01-12-2002, 08:09 AM

yeah don't use your torque to take anything off, use it for what it's for...torqueing down a bolt, nut etc.

I don't use impacts at all...yes it takes longer, but hey you never everything will be torqued to spec and no stripped nuts nor broken bolts.

I suggest you get the

-morroso crank pulley, worth it in my opinion compared to the snap on approx. 60 bucks

-1/2 inch snap-on torque wrench

-use a 1/2 inch ratchet w/ extension and 19mm socket

-and of course those pesky 12mm bolts on for the cover

best wishes...Eric
Old 01-12-2002, 09:09 AM
New User

i dont think an electric will loosen the crank bolt...my 14volt snapon wont...
some 1/2 guns can barely get it off...having a good compressor also helps...
i think your money would be better invested in some good hand tools..once you have got a good set, then start to buy pneumatics..

you cant adjust the torque settig on an electric either..
Yeah I don't think electric guns will be powerful enough on most jobs. I will rather invest some more money on a powerful impact gun with a good compressor(may end up w/ a pretty big bill there ).
For torquing wheel nuts torque sticks that has the right spec for your car will help. So if u don't wanna buy a 1/2 drive torque wrench yet. That maybe a pretty good idea.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tools for your R

I guess I"ll be adding the 1/2" torque wrench to my arsenal.. Along with the 1/2" breaker bar. Where the heck do I find a pole for it? I don't want to use the one for my jack because I don't want to risk bending it. Do hardware stores have pipes strong enough to withstand the almighty crank pulley bolt?

When I have money to splurge, maybe I'll get a compressor and air tools, since you're all saying that the electric ones aren't as good.